The **** Official **** Stardestroyer Thread

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

David
Moderator Emeritus

The **** Official **** Stardestroyer Thread

Post by David »

There seem to be a lot of threads popping up that are talking about ISDs. The same people seem to be discussing the same thing on all of them. So this is the ****Official**** thread. Any new SD threads started that are not unique will be locked. ~ David
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

What is the preeminent source for the ISD in the EU?

The only one I've actually seen is the original SW:ICS ... is there better?

With any luck, the Ep 3 ICS will do us a favor and up the 200 GT figure :)

Not that we need it ... it's a hell of a tiny lower limit to assume that the HTLs on an ISD are the same as the Acclamators guns.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Most of the roleplaying books give info on the ISD. Crakin's Threat Dossier and The Starships of the Galaxy are two of the best. While not as well illistrated as the ICS book, the Essential Guide to Ships is probably the best resource book available.
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Is this really necessary?

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

I'm sorry, but this reminds me of the fascist state known as SpaceBabies.com. There are many separate topics pretaining to ISDs that I think 1.) deserve their own thread 2.) by combining them into one thread you limit the amount of discussion possible at any one time, make things much harder to reference and create just general confusion. I would say just have separate threads, as long as they are talking about sppropriately separate topics.
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

The best source for our beloved ISD are the technical commentaries.
However, I'm still waiting for ISD deckplans (they're said to have 110 decks-that'll be a whole lot of paper)!
Supermod
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

David wrote:Most of the roleplaying books give info on the ISD. Crakin's Threat Dossier and The Starships of the Galaxy are two of the best. While not as well illistrated as the ICS book, the Essential Guide to Ships is probably the best resource book available.
But keep in mind that the globes on the tower are not sheild generators: they're sensor domes.

And that newer sources override older sources on any contradictions (eg, ICS > WEG, EGVV, EGWT).
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
David
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Is this really necessary?

Post by David »

RayCav of ASVS wrote:I'm sorry, but this reminds me of the fascist state known as SpaceBabies.com. There are many separate topics pretaining to ISDs that I think 1.) deserve their own thread 2.) by combining them into one thread you limit the amount of discussion possible at any one time, make things much harder to reference and create just general confusion. I would say just have separate threads, as long as they are talking about sppropriately separate topics.

As I said before any threads that aren't unique will be locked. I'm not a big fan of sticky, official topics but I also don't like newbies comming in and starting a topic without bothering to throught the page to see if it's already there. It's like the thread "Very stupid question about ISDs". AL could have easily posted that in one of the four topics already made about Imperial ships.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

SpaceBattles a facist state? If anything these forums are more facist then spacebattles will ever be with the Moderaters being s stick and spacebattles moderaters being more layback :twisted:
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Post by ArmorPierce »

I think I see one of those evil StarDestroyer Mod now... :twisted:
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Hmmmm, in case you haven't noticed some of the mods here are mods at spacebattles to.
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Yeah, I know, but I think LordChaos is cool with it, although I was at first shocked to find him as a moderator :D
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Originally posted by Spanky the Dolphin:

:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by David:
Most of the roleplaying books give info on the ISD. Crakin's Threat Dossier and The Starships of the Galaxy are two of the best. While not as well illistrated as the ICS book, the Essential Guide to Ships is probably the best resource book available.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But keep in mind that the globes on the tower are not sheild generators: they're sensor domes.

And that newer sources override older sources on any contradictions (eg, ICS > WEG, EGVV, EGWT).
Spanky: The "shield generators" fallacy comes from X-Wing computer game, to give a chance for the player to destroy an ISD with their X-Wing...

David: Where are those RPG books come from? If they're published by WEG, I doubt their accuracy. WEG has been known to make mistakes like:
- The length of Executor (as well as its class; there's no such class as "Super Star Destroyer". It's just the slang used by soldiers in battlefield)
- The scarcity of wedge-shaped (KDY style) vessel in the Imperial Navy
- The function of tower globes
- The dimension of the Death Star

IMHO, the *best* resources for ISD, as well as other Star Wars technologies, is none other than Curtis Saxton's "Star Wars Technical Commentarries". 8) (www.theforce.net/swtc). Curtis Saxton rules!!!

PS: Spanky, your Avatar is an anime character, isn't she? I guess I haven't seen the character somewhere, but can't recall. Would you mind telling me who your avatar is?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

It's Cammy White as she appeared in Super Street Fighter II Turbo from Capcom. Specifically it's her "character select" icon.

The SF series's character designs are by Akira Yasuda, who also did the Darkstalkers (Vampire Savior) games (also Capcom) and the series Turn-A Gundam.

Nice to see another anime fan. :)
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Jedi Council Member

:D Nice to see another anime fan too, Spanky. My fav anime/manga includes Dragon Ball Z, Bride of Deimos, and classics like Voltes V, Go Shogun, and God Sigma.

Well, I remember Cammy now. She's among new Street Fighter chars like Dee-Jay, T-Hawk, & Akuma. Sort of British Secret Agent, I guess. BTW my fav SF char is Guile.
Jedi Council Member

Whoops! This thread suppose to be about ISD, right? Okay, these maybe some interesting facts about ISD and another wedge-shaped ships:
- ISD is a destroyer class (Imperator-Class Star Destroyer) . Which is actually among the smallest in the Imperial Fleet. There are Star Cruiser, Star Battleship, and Command Ship as well.
- Accordingly, "Interdictor Cruiser" is a false terminology, since it's smaller than ISD (only 600 meters length). The Interdictor is actually a picket ship class. FYI, Interdictor Picket Ship is not built by Kuat Drive Yard, but by Sienar Fleet System instead.
- However, the class of Calamari MC-80 Cruiser is not necessarily false, even though it's smaller than ISD. Different governments may build ships with different scales, thus Calamari's cruisers can be smaller than Imperial's destroyer.
- "Super Star Destroyer" is also false terminology. The correct class name is Executor-Class Command Ship.
- Imperator-Class Star Destoyer may have an unique role. It's more a self-support, multipurpose vessel to patrol remote area, than a true fleet destroyer.
AL
Padawan Learner

Post by AL »

I'm starting to think that the empire uses nothing smaller than an isd for a capital ship. The isd is multi rolled and can be specialized as well. I would see no need for an interdictor class crusier, when you have a larger Dominator class interdictor SD.

A Star Destroyer should be able to take out a small fleet of lesser capital ships, corvettes, and frigates. Fighters should be no threat to this beast at all, only unless its shields were disabled, and enough fighters to do serious damage to an unshielded sd.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey

Post by ArmorPierce »

The only person that I see that is a moderater from spacebattles is LordChaos, is there someone else under a different name?
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

im confused, what are ISD's ICS's? im pretty much confused on all of this
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

ArmorPierce wrote:The only person that I see that is a moderater from spacebattles is LordChaos, is there someone else under a different name?

Sorry, some only are regular posters there, only LordChaos is actually and mod. Enough of this please.
AL
Padawan Learner

Post by AL »

Here's a question, why would the New Republic want to use Republic Class Star Destroyers?

I mean they have Mon Cal ships and they seem to be fine war ships. Wouldn't the use of anythhing like a SD make some of the members of the NR nervous.

To prevent another dictator like Palpatine, I wonder if the Republic would have a very small force, say 10 sector fleets, at its control. If they were to need anything bigger, they would have to get senate approval and then form some sort of coalition force made up of member worlds.

Maybe its just me, but building a large military force would surely make some if not all in the NR nervous.
Jedi Council Member

Preventing dictator by limiting the military to *small force*? I think it relfects NR incompetence. How would they protect their citizen appropriately, then? The US have large and powerful military force, yet it hasn't been ruled by a dictator.

BTW, the lack of ISD used in NR can be explained by these following possibilities:
- Cost. NR is a newly-founded government. It may be more economical to use existing MC-80 Cruiser than order new ISDs.
- Government favor. In some developing countries, some ruling regime may favor several corporation than another (Collusion?). Thus, when an old regime is replaced by a new one, usually some big corporations sink (except if they can gain favor of the new regime) and new corporations emerge (Hey it happens on my country! :cry: ). Probably KDY or SFS just can't gain the NR favor, or maybe Incom Corp. and the Calamari are promised to be major military sub-contractors after the NR raise to power.
- Or maybe it's just NR stupidity. Why they abandon the easier-to-operate ISD and instead use a cruiser that *requires* Calamari on the bridge? (due to the color spectrum in bridge consoles that can be seen only by Calamari's eyes. A stupid engineering concept.)
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Tychu wrote:im confused, what are ISD's ICS's? im pretty much confused on all of this
ISD = the glorious Imperator class Star Destroyer
ICS = the glorious Incredible Cross Sections

Another possibility for the lack of ISDs in the NR:
Probably they use the ones they stole from the Empire, but they won't order to build new ones because the ISD once was the symbol of Imperial might and presence. IIRC Mon Mothma wanted to scrap the Executor class command ships because they made the NR look like an Empire.
Supermod
Jedi Council Member

Cpt Frank: That too, is possible. Yet it reflects NR stupidity. Suppose, during Soviet Communist era, I manage to overthrow the communist government and establish new liberal government. Should I abandon MiGs in my disposal because it bear the image of communism?

Besides, every country has their own flag. Why don't just repaint the ISD with NR flag?

Or it just the lack of imagination of most EU writers......
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Yep, it reflects NR stupidity. And so does the plan to scrap the Exies.
In the NR, as far as the military is concerned, it is not common sense which rules, but fucking political correctness.
Supermod
Jedi Council Member

Cpt_Frank: Agree with you. No wonder the NR having trouble to protect the people from menace like Ssi-Ruuk, Yevetha, Yuuzhan Vong....

Government that care too much about political correctness over protecting its citizen is just plain stupid. I'm afraid someday the New Republic will be as laughable as the United Federation of Planets...