Qui-Gon Jinn Vs. Count Dooku

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Jack Bauer
Jedi Knight

Qui-Gon Jinn Vs. Count Dooku

Post by Jack Bauer »

Discuss.
Sig by JME2
navy_seal55
Redshirt

Post by navy_seal55 »

Dooku-Master
Qui Gon-His Apprentice

Dooku curbstomps :D
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Dooku would have the same advantage over Qui-Gon that Obi-Wan had over Anakin on Mustafar. He taught Qui-Gon everything he knows, and can therefore anticipate his actions.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
The Jazz Intern
Padawan Learner

Post by The Jazz Intern »

Not EVERY thing he knows. Qui gon must hsve learned some things, and Qui gon is smart, If he thinks he doesn't stand a chance with his current fighting style, He's gonna try a new one.
WWDD What would dogbert do?
Caius
Padawan Learner

Post by Caius »

Drooling Iguana wrote:Dooku would have the same advantage over Qui-Gon that Obi-Wan had over Anakin on Mustafar. He taught Qui-Gon everything he knows, and can therefore anticipate his actions.
Well it must have helped Obi-Wan a whole lot that Anakin was going just a bit nuts.

And depending on the situation Qui-Gon would be battling his master without being in the process of turning to the darkside. I'd think there could be a reversal of rolls, Qui-Gon might possibly infuriate Dooku. Who knows cause I sure don't.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

Hard to say. I think Qui Gon might be bested in this confrontation. I am however only basing this off of Obi Wan. It's stated numerous times in prequel lit that Obi Wan is one of the best swordsmans. Dooku himself says Qui Gon held him in high regards. Dooku though in both confrontations takes Obi Wan apart. Qui Gon as we see, can only manage to hold off Maul, and is later slain by him. (this is not in account to Obi Wan, who was getting handled early, but then rebounded back, before he was chumped by his environment.). Just by what I've read and seen, I'm going to say Dooku would win.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

On one hand Qui Gon is recognized as one of the premiere swordsmen of the Order at the time of TPM (and that is at his age)

On the other hand Dooku was the saber instructor for the Order and was recognized as the best deulist of his time.

In the ROTS novelization I think it is a telling fact that Dooku was almost contemptuous of Obi Wan's usage (later turned out to be a dupe on Obi Wan's part) of Ataru - Qui Gon's form - and was about to tear Obi Wan a new one because he had the Form figured out.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

Stravo wrote:On one hand Qui Gon is recognized as one of the premiere swordsmen of the Order at the time of TPM (and that is at his age)

On the other hand Dooku was the saber instructor for the Order and was recognized as the best deulist of his time.

In the ROTS novelization I think it is a telling fact that Dooku was almost contemptuous of Obi Wan's usage (later turned out to be a dupe on Obi Wan's part) of Ataru - Qui Gon's form - and was about to tear Obi Wan a new one because he had the Form figured out.
Somewhere in the PM novel did it not say Qui-Gons master regard him as one of the best swordsman he instructed? It would be an intresting duel non the less

Anyways, I am actually working on a short fan fiction of Qui-gon as a Padawan and Dooku as the Master. Basically the starting of Dookus fall, and the starting of Qui-Gons rebellious side.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Dooku from AoTC/RoTS vs. Qui Gon from TPM? Dooku in a laugher.

Dooku before becoming a Sith vs. Qui Gon from before TPM? I lean towards Dooku but it's close.

Qui Gon if he had survived TPM vs. Dooku AoTC/RoTS? Another Close one, which I might give to Qui-Gon who by that point may have grown in the Force spectacularly. But that opinion is based on unbacked speculation regarding his connection to the "living force". The Evidence would probably point to Dooku.

EDIT:

The only time in Star Wars where I can remember a Master besting his apprentice in direct combat is Vader vs. Obi Wan in ANH. Yoda beat Dooku, Obi Wan beat Anakin, Vader did not kill Palpatine in direct combat.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Seeing Red
Redshirt

DOOKU, obviously

Post by Seeing Red »

Dooku arguably beat Obi-Wan on Geonosis AS WELL as (arguably, again) aboard the Invisible Hand ... and Obi-Wan was probably a better swordsman and a more skilled fighter than Qui-Gon...the latter was, after all, unable to defeat Maul while Obi-Wan eventually succeeded in this task...so yeah, Dooku, hands down.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Darth Fanboy wrote:The only time in Star Wars where I can remember a Master besting his apprentice in direct combat is Vader vs. Obi Wan in ANH. Yoda beat Dooku, Obi Wan beat Anakin, Vader did not kill Palpatine in direct combat.
Obi-Wan threw the fight in ANH, remember?
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Post by THEHOOLIGANJEDI »

Drooling Iguana wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:The only time in Star Wars where I can remember a Master besting his apprentice in direct combat is Vader vs. Obi Wan in ANH. Yoda beat Dooku, Obi Wan beat Anakin, Vader did not kill Palpatine in direct combat.
Obi-Wan threw the fight in ANH, remember?
IIRC, that Duel was said to have beeen fairly evenly matched. Not too sure where I remember hearing that, but there it is.
Stupid risks are what make life worth living.-Homer Simpson

-PC Load Letter?! What the Fuck does that mean!?!?!- Micheal Bolton
-Bullshit! I'll bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose! - Sgt. Hartman
-I'll bet your the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the Goddamn common courtesy to give him a reacharound!- Sgt. Hartman