Could Bilbringi Shipyard build SSD's?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Could Bilbringi Shipyard build SSD's?

Post by Dark Primus »

I have heard the Bilbring is a very large shipyard, among the larger ones in the galaxy from what I have been told. But are they capable to to build something as massive as the SSD (Executor)?
EAT SHIT AND DIE! - Because I say so

"Me Grimlock Badass" -Grimlock
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Yes, IIRC the estensive damage done to Lusankya was repaired there after the NR captured the shipyard at the end of TTT.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

At the least, Lusunakya after being captured by the New Republic was sent there. The repair work was first done at one of the hidden Republic bases, but the final refit and repair work WAS done at Bilbringi.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

DAMN YOU POUNDER!
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

Ok, so it can build at least one. Fondor can build one to I'm sure of. KDY can build two.

Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

Repairing is hardly the same as building, especially since Star Wars doesn't nessasarily use dry docks. I mean the Lusankya was still in one piece at the end of the Bacta War. Does Bilbringi say have the equipment nessasary to lay down the skeleton for a 17.6km destroyer to allow building it from scratch?

I don't think we can quite prove that.
Trooper TK12746
Padawan Learner

Post by Trooper TK12746 »

I think so, given that the DSII was built from scratch floating over a moon inhabited only by primitives. It seems like a large shipyard could build a SSD.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Ypoknons wrote:Repairing is hardly the same as building, especially since Star Wars doesn't nessasarily use dry docks. I mean the Lusankya was still in one piece at the end of the Bacta War. Does Bilbringi say have the equipment nessasary to lay down the skeleton for a 17.6km destroyer to allow building it from scratch?

Well if a backwater like the Ship Yards orbiting the Yveatha(sp) can build 2 and finish off 1 Executor Class Star Destroyer it's a safe assumption that a major Imperial Ship Yard like the one at Bilbring can do the same.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Trooper TK12746
Padawan Learner

I agree
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

Conceded.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Ypoknons wrote:Repairing is hardly the same as building, especially since Star Wars doesn't nessasarily use dry docks. I mean the Lusankya was still in one piece at the end of the Bacta War. Does Bilbringi say have the equipment nessasary to lay down the skeleton for a 17.6km destroyer to allow building it from scratch?

Lusankya had the first kilometer of its hull compeltly shreaded. As in blasted into many bits of debris. And this is under the assumption that its an eight klick version. Double that for its real length.

They would have had to completly rebuild that section from scratch...its a good indicator of construction ability for this kind of ship class.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Lord Pounder wrote:

Well if a backwater like the Ship Yards orbiting the Yveatha(sp) can build 2 and finish off 1 Executor Class Star Destroyer it's a safe assumption that a major Imperial Ship Yard like the one at Bilbring can do the same.
Of course those two other ships are completly theoretical and as far as we know, only ever existed on paper. They clearly were NOT as that analysit thought assigned to Black Fleet command.
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

44 ships of BSC were missing, 3 of them SSDs. That doesn't mean, that the Yevethans got all of them, just those in the shipyards.

And the Intimidator had been transfered from her home-shipyard to Black15 to make place for a new SSD. Only the last works on her were supposed to be done in Yevethan-space.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

FTeik wrote:44 ships of BSC were missing, 3 of them SSDs.
Yes but SSD doesn't mean Executor. It could just as easily mean two of them are Alleigience class SSD's or some such, given that they are also explicitly described as SSD's.

That doesn't mean, that the Yevethans got all of them, just those in the shipyards.
Well they clearly didn't get ALL of the Black Swords OOB, thats a given. And don't forget that the ship that had the OOB was from a time period where the Empire was going to hell in a handbasket. Its quite possible much of it was out of date or simply inaccurate as sectors went into chaos and warlords started to run around like mad.

And the Intimidator had been transfered from her home-shipyard to Black15 to make place for a new SSD. Only the last works on her were supposed to be done in Yevethan-space.
Quite true, although it doesn't precisly say what kind of work. The ship was probably hyperspace capable. My guess is the outfitting of the big guns and other surface structures was left to the subsiduary shipyard. If I was running the program, I'd only do as much as could only be done in a primary slipway IN that slipway, then send the ship off to get its final outfit done somehwere else, so you can start construction on another ship.
Trooper TK12746
Padawan Learner

Didn't the Imp Remnant build an SSD? They had a medium sized shipyard a Yaga Minor and that was their biggest one. So bilbringi could probably build one.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Trooper TK12746 wrote:Didn't the Imp Remnant build an SSD? They had a medium sized shipyard a Yaga Minor and that was their biggest one. So bilbringi could probably build one.
One warlord built one as a flagship (Night hammer, given to Daala), given time any construction yard could build a SSD, the question is the scale, remmember the key to imperial superweapons is standartization so a SSD can be built over a dozen less vulnerable shipyards.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Chris OFarrell wrote:
FTeik wrote:44 ships of BSC were missing, 3 of them SSDs.
Yes but SSD doesn't mean Executor. It could just as easily mean two of them are Alleigience class SSD's or some such, given that they are also explicitly described as SSD's.

That doesn't mean, that the Yevethans got all of them, just those in the shipyards.
Well they clearly didn't get ALL of the Black Swords OOB, thats a given. And don't forget that the ship that had the OOB was from a time period where the Empire was going to hell in a handbasket. Its quite possible much of it was out of date or simply inaccurate as sectors went into chaos and warlords started to run around like mad.

Quite true, although it doesn't precisly say what kind of work. The ship was probably hyperspace capable. My guess is the outfitting of the big guns and other surface structures was left to the subsiduary shipyard. If I was running the program, I'd only do as much as could only be done in a primary slipway IN that slipway, then send the ship off to get its final outfit done somehwere else, so you can start construction on another ship.
The point i wanted to make was, that from BFC we have no evidence, that a smaller shipyard can build an Executor-Class.

Fortunately we have "Darksaber".

Hmmpf, looks like KJA was good for one or two things. :wink:
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

FTeik wrote:
The point i wanted to make was, that from BFC we have no evidence, that a smaller shipyard can build an Executor-Class.

Fortunately we have "Darksaber".

Hmmpf, looks like KJA was good for one or two things. :wink:
Ah.

Well there you go. Still I wonder about that SSD the Imperial Remnent got. I mean they had a whole heep of stuff about how big an issue the economic downturn they had been going through was and that they didn't have much in the way of infastructure or anything...I wonder if they in fact finaly recovered Intimidator and repaired her. It was found drifting on the edge of the unknown regions afterall. Though the last we saw of it in Black Fleet she was heading for Byss, clearly not knowing it was long blown up.

I guess it got into many fights in the warlording that was still going on, heavily damaged during the movement of the IR to the Rim then just let go once it was too hard to repair. Of course its never seen again in the NJO of course, the only two active Executors are in the service of the NR...
Trooper TK12746
Padawan Learner

The Intimidator is found damaged beyond repair by a NR probe in the wreckage of Byss. Most of the crew had apperently fled or commited suicide. The Remnant definitly had at least one Executor super Star destroyer, and probably had several more left over from the galactic civil war. I always thought the Remnant seemed weak in the NJO, they had at least 200 ISDs when they signed the peace treaty, and then they have less than 6 for their last stand (their second battle) against hte vong. What gives?
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

Trooper TK12746 wrote:The Intimidator is found damaged beyond repair by a NR probe in the wreckage of Byss. Most of the crew had apperently fled or commited suicide. The Remnant definitly had at least one Executor super Star destroyer, and probably had several more left over from the galactic civil war. I always thought the Remnant seemed weak in the NJO, they had at least 200 ISDs when they signed the peace treaty, and then they have less than 6 for their last stand (their second battle) against hte vong. What gives?
Apparently they may have engaged YV forces on several occasions and lost several number of ships in the process.

Trooper TK12746
Padawan Learner

I thought they only fought the YV at Bastion before their last stand with the Jedi. And it only mentioned four or five ISDs defending Bastion, their capital. The Remnant was weak, but it wasn't that weak.
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Some sources (don't know for sure, but it might have been one of the NEGVV) claimed, that after the BastionAccords in HoT several warlords re-joined the empire and brought their SSDs (a handful) with them.

And the economic decline must have been massive, considering the numbers were talking about (Publius has an article about it at domuspublica.net). If even a minor warlord like Delvardus can afford an Exe ... .

I would blame it on NR-propaganda: You want to join the IR? Fine, but have a look at their economy ...
Trooper TK12746
Padawan Learner

What do you mean? From what I got out of the EU, the Remnant was a stable, well-armed, and prosporous Sector that remained part of the new order. And the Executors don't cost that much to make. If the Remnant built it over time, there would be little economic decline.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

It depends, by the time the IR settled into Bastion they where down to only 9 sectors IIRC, thats not an awful lot considering the size of teratory they once controled, also we know very little of what resources they had left in the Empire. Given that the Navyhad to get Fighters from outside Imperial space i don't think they had much. Sure Pellaeon made the imps well armed, but he mush have been putting everything he had into ship building.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Trooper TK12746
Padawan Learner

There were no SFS factories in the 1000 systems the Empire controlled. After a few years, they were back to the TIE series, buying TIE defenders. The Remnant was certainly stable, and even if they built no ships after the treaty, they would still have several SSDs, and 100 ISDs at the very least. If they still refitted their ships, then that number rises to 200 ISDs.