The New SW Canon

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

RogueIce
_______

Re: The New SW Canon

Post by RogueIce »

malguslover wrote:
RogueIce wrote:He lives in the UK, so no big surprise. Plus IIRC he was only the voice of Maul, something that would tend to be done in post-production, so this probably doesn't mean anything other than Mark Hamill and he got together while the former was in London, possibly while Mr. Hamill is/was shooting for Episode VII.
but here's the thing why would they be hanging out? How do they know each other? I think its more likely that Peter is there for another part in Star Wars. I mean he is a great actor and has an amazing voice.
Hamill is a pretty prolific voice actor these days. Could be that. Have they worked together before?

Or he could be involved with Star Wars somehow. But even if he is, that doesn't mean he'll have anything to do with Maul. After all, he was just the voice in Episode I and had like what, one or two lines total? He could easily be cast for an entirely different role and nobody would know the difference without checking his IMDb page.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

My question, what about little things with the EU that explains some things seen in the films? For instance it's the EU that explains that Obi-Wan was studying the busts of the "Lost Twenty" in Episode II.

Does Shadows of the Empire exist? How did Luke make his own green saber if Shadows doesn't exist?
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I'm glad to see the EU reduced to non-canon. It was freaking ridiculous.
Tychu wrote:Does Shadows of the Empire exist? How did Luke make his own green saber if Shadows doesn't exist?
Just because it isn't explicitly shown doesn't mean it didn't happen. We never really see Luke go to the loo in the films, but we can safely assume that he somehow deals with digested matter.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

I get that, my point though is that you can't just say you discard the whole thing. If it's counterdicted that's different, but we've been dealing with that since day 1.

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Of course you can throw it all out. Is there something in the films that doesn't work unless the EU is taken into account?

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

It's the little things, like Hans blood stripes. It was from true EU that we learned Han was in the Imperial Navy. We also know why Jabba put a bounty on Hans head from the EU.

All I'm saying is that until it's contradicted it should be canon

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

We also know why Jabba put a bounty on Hans head from the EU.
I thought that was explained in Ep 4?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

"Even I get boarded sometimes" is what Han says. But we're talking about Han Solo, the man made the Kessel run. He's keeping face, he would normally try to run in his so uped up starship. He was transporting orphans and didn't want to risk them

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Tychu wrote:All I'm saying is that until it's contradicted it should be canon
Agreed; until I hear otherwise, the broad strokes are still canon for me (SOIE, Darth Plagueis, etc.)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Tychu wrote:"Even I get boarded sometimes" is what Han says. But we're talking about Han Solo, the man made the Kessel run. He's keeping face, he would normally try to run in his so uped up starship. He was transporting orphans and didn't want to risk them
Greedo said that Jabba has no time for smugglers who drop their shipments at the first sign of an Imperial starship. So that's clearly why the bounty was placed on Han...because he didn't pay Jabba back for the cargo.

Now the EU states that it was an expensive cargo of spice from the Kessel mines. Since it's EU though, we now have to discard that and remain in the dark as to what the actual cargo was in this case. Could still be spice, or weapons, or any number of expensive items.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Nah, the Lucian Alliance was probably trying to set him up so Han could start smuggling Kassa for them. :)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

JME2 wrote:Nah, the Lucian Alliance was probably trying to set him up so Han could start smuggling Kassa for them. :)
mmmm....sweet corn.....
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I was thinking evil Orville Redenbacher, but that works too. :)

I'm sure the Hutts would make a mint with that stuff.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Geezuz, just let it go. You guys are like little kids clinging to their security blanket.

Isn't it infinitely more exciting to have everything be new and possible again than trite rehashed shit?

Can't you remember back to before Heir to the Empire when Star Wars was still fucking awesome?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I in no way resemble Linus, thank you very much. :mrgreen: :P
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

'Heir to the Empire' was when Star Wars came back to still be fucking awesome.
A lot of what followed was admittedly suboptimal to put it mildly but I think none of it would have followed at all without TTT.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SilverDragonRed »

Havok wrote: Can't you remember back to before Heir to the Empire when Star Wars was still fucking awesome?
Says the guy with Darth Time Filler as his avatar.

The sad thing about losing the entire EU is that Lucas didn't show any respect to the people who were keeping his setting alive. Without the EU as the only place for Star Wars tales in the decades long span between trilogies, how big do ya'll think the fandom would have clamoring for Phantom Menace?

So, in a final show of disrepect to the people who made him money for decades, he throws all of it under the bus while flipping off all the people who ever created material for it and the fans who got invested in those stories.
Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

The EU has been a mixed bag. They fell back on the same storyline again and again, and it got old real fast. Say what you will about the NJO series, at least that was trying to do something different.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm afraid Abrams and Disney will make the same mistake. I'm worried that they'll make the Sith/The Empire the villains again. They're iconic and Abrams sometimes rehashes old stuff too much (a problem with Star Trek Into Darkness). The Dark Side will always be there. Its an integral part of Star Wars. But the Sith and the Empire should be gone.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

That's my fear too -- and I've fucking had with the Sith and Empire being villains.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

JME2 wrote:That's my fear too -- and I've fucking had with the Sith and Empire being villains.
I don't mind it in stuff that's set pre-OT like Rebels or ToR, but if the main point of tossing out the EU was to give the creative team freedom to do something different, then by god they should do something different.

I don't want to see another interpretation of how the Sith return or the Empire rises again to challenge the heroes, because I spent 10 years reading about stuff like that.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Havok wrote:Geezuz, just let it go. You guys are like little kids clinging to their security blanket.

Isn't it infinitely more exciting to have everything be new and possible again than trite rehashed shit?

Can't you remember back to before Heir to the Empire when Star Wars was still fucking awesome?
I recently tried to reread HTTE. It's actually not that great. If you imagine that it's an original universe as opposed to SW, it's actually better.

Boba Fett is dead again, and Palpatine actually died at Endor. Addition by subtraction.

- George Carlin
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Darksider wrote:
JME2 wrote:That's my fear too -- and I've fucking had with the Sith and Empire being villains.
I don't mind it in stuff that's set pre-OT like Rebels or ToR, but if the main point of tossing out the EU was to give the creative team freedom to do something different, then by god they should do something different.

I don't want to see another interpretation of how the Sith return or the Empire rises again to challenge the heroes, because I spent 10 years reading about stuff like that.
Yeah, the EU ran the Sith and the Imperials into the ground; that's why I enjoyed the Vong as they were a breath of fresh air.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Are we talking about the same EU? The vong were a threat because the New Republic got turned into a bunch of morons and the Force didn't work on the Vong pretty much by writer's fiat.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

The early Vong stories were fairly decent IMO, especially compared to the absolute crap that Kevin J. Anderson had been churning out in the preceding years. The problem was more that they wrote themselves into a corner early on and then had to start pulling more and more ridiculous bullshit in order to keep the storyline going.