Living Force vs. Unifying force

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Living Force vs. Unifying force

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

The Jedi in SW seem to train themselves in one of two forms of manipulatng the force, there is the here-and-now Living Force (LF), and the big picture Unifying Force (UF).

The LF is the kind of force Qui-Gonn was into, which made him rebellous (ref TPM obi-wan "If you just followed orders you would be on the council.")But he ws also described as one of the best light saber duelists in the temple and we can chalk up mauls victory over him to old age, and not the yoda kind :) .The LF seems to improve combat awareness because it focuses on whats happening now allowing a jedi to stay on his toes. However these jedi make decisions based on the moment, and not seeing the reprecussions that desicion might have until later (think qui-gonns decision to train anakin).

The UF is the kind of force that Yoda was into, which made him calm and patient. This seems to have short comings in combat however (yoda being the exception, after all he trained fro 800 years).With the UF a jedi can see how his decisions migth effect the galaxy and do things for the common good. This means that when they take up roles such as mediators and ambassadors, a compimise can be made for the better between the opposing parties. Still the UF seems to be easily clouded by the dark side, as the council was throughout AOTC, and as yoda was TESB.

Id like to pit them agaisnt each other in the battle of Geonosis.If more jedi trained in the Lf coud the jedi have fought better and defeated the droids, or at least defended themselves better so more of them would be alive by the time the clones dropped in?
if more jedi trained in the UF could they have seen throught the dark force shroud and seen the jedi massacre at geonisis and perfected a plan to capture dooku with little if any combat at all?

personally i think the UF is superior to the LF, but i still think conflict is unavoidable so LF jediare still important, and id rather be kickin butt with my LS than meditating about the future to be truthful :wink: .
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I do not believe that the LF could have changed the outcome of the Battle of Geonosis. If anything, the UF would have allowed more Jedi to survive the conflict. The tactics displayed by the Jedi at Geonosis were based around individuals doing what was best for individuals. Especially at the start of the Battle, there was absolutely no attempt by the Jedi to coordinate their efforts and fight as a group. Instead, we saw individual Jedi attacking individual groups of battle droids without seeming to prioritize targets or even form a rudimentary strategy, in spite of the fact that the Jedi seemed more effective when working together like Mace Windu and Obi Wan. While it appears that the Living Force proponents had higher survival rates, I find it likely that it was because of them that the Unifying Force members did not survive. Living Force proponents are probably better individual fighters, but the Unifying Force might have allowed the Jedi to gather themselves after the initial attack and settle upon a plan of action.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."