Eclipse/Executor class Shielding

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

LMSx
Jedi Knight

Eclipse/Executor class Shielding

Post by LMSx »

This is born from the SSD vs. High Guard TF in an astroid field thread at SB. If the Acclamator's shielding is *blank* as strong as a regular ISD, then what would the proportion be for a Executor class Star Destroyer? Eclipse class?

Could the shielding be in the Yottaton range, or is it all a figment of my imagination?
master_yoda
Rabid Monkey

Post by master_yoda »

waht?
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Hey, Executor herself collided at superluminal speed with three ISD and the shields didn't fail. Will be difficult for certain backwards with their pathetic weaponry to get thru them.
Supermod
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"Hey, Executor herself collided at superluminal speed with three ISD and the shields didn't fail. Will be difficult for certain backwards with their pathetic weaponry to get thru them."

Sorry to have to contradict you. The ISDs were exiting hyperspace, IE they weren't moving at superluminal speeds.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kazuaki Shimazaki »

Not that this is bad. Supposedly, objects above superluminal lose momentum as they go faster than lightspeed anyway. So if they collided at 0.99C, it may be preferable than allowing them to collide at 6000C, in terms of momentum at least.
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Nonetheless, they were sill fast, and Exie survived a collision with three huge objects at high speed. That still speaks for her shields.
Supermod
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Let's say the Acclamator shielding output is 1E22 watts. If the shield strength goes up in proportion with the size, the ISD peak shielding would be 1E23 watts.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Cpt_Frank

Post by Cpt_Frank »

And Executors peak shielding would the be...?
Supermod
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

WEG scaling of the Executor compared to a VSD(Assuming the Acclamator and the VSD had similar shielding, a generous assumption, considering the VSD has very heavy shielding), pegs the Executor's shields at something like 200 times as powerful, or 1.4e25W peak shielding. But I might be wrong. Eclipse shielding is insane, it can apparantly ram at full throttle.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Which is always a Fun thing to do

But no big pointy thing on the End of an Eclipse plus you might mess up things from shock damage that are delicate(IE The Superlaser)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Shielding is far more complex than just being increased at the same rate of the increase in volume. A superlaser would produce massive recoil, and it would prbably need something to counter the recoil. Larger ships would require stronger materials, and about the Eclipse ramming, I think the bow could be some heavy and strong metal, or another shield generator could increase the strength.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Hmm, well we can use ROTJ as a marker.
Most rebel capships have 48 TL's, thats probably 24 TL's for each ship to fire on the Executor with, there were atleast a dozen ships there, that then equals(using WOTC RPG stats of 2.5TT) 3e24watts.

Ofcourse there are other stats, like the WEG wich might give 29TT instead.
That would yield 3e25watts,
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

The EGV&V says that ramming is an accepted tactic for the Eclipse because of it's extremely strong shields, I believe.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Executor
Youngling

Post by Executor »

The Imperial Sourcebook states that warships usally use 25% of there power for sheilds. Curtis Saxton rates the ISD reactor at 1e25 watts, that gives an ISD sheilds of 2.5e24 watts. How much power would an executor have compard to an ISD? At least a hundred times I reckon. The ISD compared to the Acclamator is no where near the size difference between the ISD and the Executor yet it has nearly a hundred times the power. So the minimum the shield could be is 2.5e26 watts. Of course this is using Curtis's ISD power figure.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Of course this is using Curtis's ISD power figure.

Which is more acurate than anything else out.
Executor
Youngling

Post by Executor »

David wrote:
Of course this is using Curtis's ISD power figure.

Which is more acurate than anything else out.
#

Yes it is thats why I used it. So the figure I stated could possible be a minium for the shields.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

It's all about ratios

Post by Master of Ossus »

Even though the hull of the Executor is far longer and wider than that of a typical Imperator, the ratio of surface area to volume is only slightly smaller. This would indicate that its shields would be on a similar order to the shields of a Star Destroyer, which, in turn, would be significantly stronger than an Acclamator's shields not only because of the ratios of length to volume but also because so much of an Acclamator's interior space is dedicated to maintaining a landing force while a SD is designed for more direct combat. Conversely, an Eclipse class Battleship would have shields that are FAR more powerful than those of either an Executor class ship or an Imperator class one. This is because its ratio of surface area to volume is so much larger, and while a good deal of power is undoubtably necessary for the small superlaser it maintains, there should be enough power left over to maintain the shields on such a vessel at a rate far higher than those of a lesser capitol ship. Thus, I would expect for a SSD's shields to be on a similar order of magnitude to those of a standard ISD, which in turn has shields that are likely a few orders of magnitude more powerful than those of an Acclamator class Transport. The shields of an Eclipse are probably significantly stronger than those of an Executor class ship, and probably by several orders of magnitude. Thus, the Yottaton estimate for an Eclipse class ship would be a conservative estimate of its abilities.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Executor
Youngling

Re: It's all about ratios

Post by Executor »

I thinks its all about reactor power. An Executor has the mass of around 100 ISD's (Curtis's Site). If it mass's a hundred times as much the reactor should surley be 100 times as powerful. Then the 25% figure comes in(Imperial Sourcebook).
I personaly rate the total reactor(S) output on the Executor at around 3e28 watts or 30 billion ExaWatts, and the shield strength at around 7.5e27 watts or 7.5 billion ExaWatts. An Eclipse i have an output of around 13 times as much and a shield strength of around 8 times as much.

Lee
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Good point.