SW Current Mid Range Calcuations

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Shadow
Padawan Learner

Post by Shadow »

Deleted that is. here is the original if you want to read it.

http://s2.cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genme ... ic=4215410
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Are you going to do high-end calcs too? If so, it will probalby go something like this:

"The amount of energy in one LTL is approximately one zillion joules."

Not that I'm complaining, you understand.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Andrew J. wrote:Are you going to do high-end calcs too? If so, it will probalby go something like this:

"The amount of energy in one LTL is approximately one zillion joules."

Not that I'm complaining, you understand.
Well high end would probably ascribe the "multi gigaton" quote to LTLs which would scale upwards to several TT per HTL. Also since about 300 pro-tops can drop the shields and damage the hull of an /Executor/ one might rate them easily into the GT range themselves which would make heavy missiles like the Acclamator's even bigger in bang for the buck.
[/b]
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The amount of energy in one LTL is approximately one zillion joules
I like tons, people understand tons so well becuse we have somthing.. namily Image
Which makes it easy for the avarage person to understand

Anyway High end I'll let Sir-Nitrium Handle as he already gets Yotta-Ton High end results and frankly its a bit overkill :D

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Eleas wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:My Bad shadow :D

I've heard the phrase Culture worldship tossed around so many times I thought it was an acutal ship-class
I don't think they build ships that big. Stations perhaps, but the largest I know of was the Size Isn't Everything at 30 km, IIRC.
Theres a planet class GSV I think, There are definitly

mountain clas superlifeters
Range class GSV (or something else?)
Continent class
Plate class
Planet class (maybe)
System class (largest I have heard of)
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

NecronLord wrote:
Eleas wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:My Bad shadow :D

I've heard the phrase Culture worldship tossed around so many times I thought it was an acutal ship-class
I don't think they build ships that big. Stations perhaps, but the largest I know of was the Size Isn't Everything at 30 km, IIRC.
Theres a planet class GSV I think, There are definitly
Planet class sure, but how big is it?
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Excluding Feild envelopes, it is around 90 KM
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Re: SW Current Mid Range Calcuations

Post by Ender »

Mr Bean wrote:Right here is todays version of MID Range calcuations based off everyones favorite ISD MK II

All sources will be reference as nessary

Now then when calucation our old LOW end I did everything possible to neutuer the ISD incudling not counting any thing but HTLS firing and using twenty year old gun to do the firing.

Now then this time around where we will be trying to find the most LIKLEY and inculding all relvant factors to give a better idea of the most likley SW IS MK II fire and shielding power

Now then lets get going

Right first off is the old senarior we used to find low end calcs, the Moonshadow VS Direption fight which was anywhere between ten to thirty seconds long, on my low end I went with 10 seconds and said Five Vollys of course I was assuming worst case, Based on Human reaction times and what-not 18 seconds howver is more likley, upping our Total to 9 Vollys.

Now then we will be counting in those 25 MTLs we counted out the last time are to be inculded this time around and we are going to use acutal firepowers this go around

Based on ICS/Scaling and visual evidance the MTLs are most likely an improved version of the Acclimator Guns, How much we don't know and because I like nice even numbers we will be using 250 Giga-tons for MTLs

Alright 250 Gigatons on those guns as for Heavy Turbolasers we turn to scalling and visual evidence for this(TESB, ROTJ) and can place thier firepower at anywhere from 2.3332 Tera-tons to 29 Teratons, Taking the mean of this yeilds us with 17 or so but I'll be cutting it down to ten to give us a nice cleaner number

Now then so thats
Nine Salvos of 25 250GT MTL and 30 10TT HTLs
Right

25x250=6250+ (30x10,000)=306,250 or just over 306Tera-tons in One Volly
Right times nine
9X306,250=or 27,596,250 or rounded around 28 Penta-tons
Lets round it to a nice low 28,000 Tera-tons eh? :D

Makes it easier to undestand or to say it another way

27,596,250,000,000,000 Tons

So using most likley Figures there places us at Peta level shielding oor
some Sci-Fi Comparsions
Hey bean, I found a major flaw in your work, both here and in the low end calcs.

It took that much energy to bring down one section of the shields, not the whole shields. This means that you have to multiply it by 4 for all for sections, and since the TLs only impact against the ray shielding, by 2 to account fot the particle shields to get total shielding.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

It took that much energy to bring down one section of the shields, not the whole shields. This means that you have to multiply it by 4 for all for sections, and since the TLs only impact against the ray shielding, by 2 to account fot the particle shields to get total shielding.
No I address that, see threads where I use it, I say ONE SECTION of an ISDs shields not all four though I'll edit that in later Ender

Read the follow-ups where I for example calc that 10,000 Defaints need nearly a mintue to kill one section of an ISD's shields :twisted:

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

sorry, missed that
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Also of note would be that the ISD actually has more than 4 shield zones. Rather it has 6:
Port
Starboard
Fore
Aft
Ventral
Dorsal

I like to think of it as a capsule, the cylinder is divided into 4 slices while the half spheres at the end are the remaining two sections.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

CmdrWilkens wrote:Also of note would be that the ISD actually has more than 4 shield zones. Rather it has 6:
Port
Starboard
Fore
Aft
Ventral
Dorsal

I like to think of it as a capsule, the cylinder is divided into 4 slices while the half spheres at the end are the remaining two sections.
Is it stated anywhere that there are specific shield zones that protect the entire side of a ship? Or in other words, how do we know the ISD doesn't have hundreds of shield zones? :twisted:
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Eleas wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote:Also of note would be that the ISD actually has more than 4 shield zones. Rather it has 6:
Port
Starboard
Fore
Aft
Ventral
Dorsal

Is it stated anywhere that there are specific shield zones that protect the entire side of a ship? Or in other words, how do we know the ISD doesn't have hundreds of shield zones? :twisted:
We don't, but we also don't have any evidence that it does. Thus we should move under the assumption that the ISD has as few shields as possible. I would definitely add "Hangar Bay" shields to the list above, also, as their existence has been demonstrated.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

They would count as Venteral shields I belive

And we know there are not HUNDREDS simply because we are not dumb fucking Wankers who assume things to aid us without proof

We have cannoical evidance of those regions(Front, Back, Top Bottom and Sides) and no where else so we don't assume so, because that would not just make us Rabid Warsie, but Rabid Wanker Warsies

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Bean, I think that Thrawn specified hangar shields instead of dorsal shields. "Hangar shields" denotes a specific portion of the ship. It does not describe "dorsal shields," but only shields that protect the hangar deck. I think that that is a pretty conclusive statement of at least a fifth shield region, and I think that ISD's have bridge shields, too.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Hangar shields" denotes a specific portion of the ship. It does not describe "dorsal shields,"
Your thinking of venteral

Or must I ask you, Where is the Dorsal FIN on a dolphin?

Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Mr Bean wrote:They would count as Venteral shields I belive

And we know there are not HUNDREDS simply because we are not dumb fucking Wankers who assume things to aid us without proof
Take your prozac, Bean. Did my post really need the correct smiley after it to be construed as a joke?)
We have cannoical evidance of those regions(Front, Back, Top Bottom and Sides) and no where else so we don't assume so, because that would not just make us Rabid Warsie, but Rabid Wanker Warsies
Really? Then please tell me when a top shield region is displayed in canon. I'm just being difficult here, but you are slightly annoying me. I blame it on my lack of food and sleep, but still...
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Take your prozac, Bean. Did my post really need the correct smiley after it to be construed as a joke?)
I know it was a joke but I over-react with reason, the last thing I want is SD.Net giving birth to a rabid Warsi or two(And some idiots take joke comments like your seriously)
Then please tell me when a top shield region is displayed in canon.
Simple watch the Capship fights in EU, The mention things like *Fully Charged Venteral and Dosal shields, presitene Dosral Shields, the Aft shield falling

IE when two SDs fight where do they shoot and what shields fail, Thats why Issards Revenge is such an Excellent example of a Cap-ship Fight(Along with the Bacta War where one of the Officers on the Lusyanaka lists the shields and I'm going to look it up today

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Mr Bean wrote:
Hangar shields" denotes a specific portion of the ship. It does not describe "dorsal shields,"
Your thinking of venteral

Or must I ask you, Where is the Dorsal FIN on a dolphin?
D'oh. Typo. Sorry about that. :oops:

Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Mr Bean wrote:
I know it was a joke but I over-react with reason, the last thing I want is SD.Net giving birth to a rabid Warsi or two(And some idiots take joke comments like your seriously)
Granted, also within reason. I've seen you lob a comment or two to that effect as well, remember?
Then please tell me when a top shield region is displayed in canon.
Simple watch the Capship fights in EU, The mention things like *Fully Charged Venteral and Dosal shields, presitene Dosral Shields, the Aft shield falling
Ok, you really meant official there. I agree with you here, then.

<snip HERESY! ALL STACKPOLE MUST FALL!!!!>
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Umm, Stackpole is agree with Zahn here, he said the same thing

*So in a sense one could said it had come fromth the Zahn but mearly aped by Stackpole

Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Mr Bean wrote:Umm, Stackpole is agree with Zahn here, he said the same thing

*So in a sense one could said it had come fromth the Zahn but mearly aped by Stackpole
In that case, I wholeheartedly support it. ;)

Like your new avatar by the way. I may go for a sex change soon, tho...

Whatcha think?
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Um.. its big?

And umm good luck on the sex change there :?

Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Mr Bean wrote:Um.. its big?

And umm good luck on the sex change there :?
he he he... let's just say mine's bigger than yours and leave it at that, shall we? :wink:
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

For the record the quote in Bacta War applies to Executor-class vessels but given KDY design similairity I'd think it fair to aume similair distribution:

[quote= The Bacta War pg 318]
Waroen was first. "Ventral shields, down; dorsal shields, down; bow shields, down; starboard and port shields, down."
"You mean to tell me that I only have aft shields?"
Another explosion shook the ship. "Not anymore, sir" [/quote]

-Kingdom of Heaven