death star

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

death star

Post by Enforcer Talen »

random idea; when a ship goes through hyperspace, it has to route the right way so as not to smash into a planet or sun, and if the computer senses a planar object in hyperspace, it instantly stops. that's how an interdictor works, it casts a planar shadow.

but a death star going through hyperspace is the size of a small moon, so the computers on the ships in the path of the death star would take them out of hyperspace. the death star wouldnt stop, tho. and the ship thus impacts the hull of the space station at somewhat higher then several thousand times the speed of light.

I sent this to wong, long time ago, but he didn't respond, so it's possible this idea has an obvious flaw I'm not seeing. does the death star leave a trail of shattered ships along it's routes?
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

I think(*Note Ithink) that they readjust hyperoutes, enroute, or turn, but that doesn't answer your question.
Maybe they unused lanes or near majo lanes but not on em, space s very big.
Does that help?
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Once in hyperspace, ships don't appear to interact with each other, or really with real space. In the BFC, there is a man who worked with propelling objects through hyperspace for the goal of hitting ships and installations in real space with missiles. The plan did not work, though, because the missiles never managed to return to real space properly. Most just kept going in hyperspace forever. This demonstrates that objects in real space and hyperspace do not directly interact with each other, because if they did the missiles would have hit anyway.

In Traitor, we learn in great detail that hyperspace is actually another dimension and has no directions or time or space. Hyperspace is huge, and since there is no direction or concept of time or space, it is highly likely that ships in hyperspace cannot colide with each other, particularly because in Traitor it appears as if ships in hyperspace create a bubble around them that somehow maintains them as matter from real space, and separates them from hyperspace objects.

Thus, the interplay between gravity wells in real space and hyperspace becomes even more complicated. I think it would probably have to deal with gravitational effects on space-time, and that it is the gravity of an object in real space that affects hyperspace, but not the object itself. I find it likely that the DS does not have enough mass to generate a large enough effect on hyperspace to pull other ships out of hyperspace (remember that the Falcon was able to jump to lightspeed even within an atmosphere), and even if it did the DS and the other ship are moving so fast that the ships may not have time to respond like that to the DS's movement.

Also, space is huge. Even with the kind of traffic that goes on through the SW universe, the odds of even hitting another ship with the DS are very small.

I'm not sure why Wong did not respond, but it was probably because he was too busy, and he generally doesn't deal with these little theories and thoughts unless they can be quantified or solved pretty quickly.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I was guessing the DS had some sort of large tractor beam or intrediction field to lower the gravitational effects of such a station.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

BFC and Traitor contradict Han.

'We'd fly right through a star, or bounce to close to a super nova and that would end your trip real quick woudln't it.'

I know, we can't take Han at face value. However, if it didn't matter then why do you plot routes anyways? If I remember correctly however, in BFC the guy explained that they couldn't get it to come out of hyperspace and attack a target like a starhip. In Traitor it seems to give support to the RotJ novel about hyperspace not bothered by time but precision.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Very large objects in Real Space still cast "mass shadows" over hyperspace. This is probably caused by the curves they generate in space-time, and is the reason why routes are plotted.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."