So, whats so evil about the Galactic Empire?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

IG-88E wrote:HEY! I just thought of something! The Empire restricted Holonet access to the military. In other words, people who had internet access suddenly lost it! THAT'S EVIL!!! :(
MWAHAHAHAHA! I told you! Evil IS good!
Yes but heck a planet can have it's own internet by itself.

Cannibalize existing HoloNet transceivers, modify them for use and put them in the flagship of every Sector Group in an Oversector command. Place similar facilities within His Majesty's command ship and within Imperial City. This will enable your forces to respond to threats in minutes rather than hours or days after the fact. Imperial forces will be able to coordinate to a degree impossible among an enemy, whose fastest means of communication is a rendezvous at a common system.

(ref: Imperial Sourcebook)
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

YES! Thank you for that quote! See, the Holonet is the Internet of the SW galaxy. Without it, Rebels have to use rendezvous points and couriers and stuff like that.

But at the same time, normal, loyal citizens aren't allowed access. Kids can't copy Jedi Masters' books for homework! :shock: Families on different planets lose touch. :cry:
JADAFETWA
His Divine Shadow

IG-88E wrote:YES! Thank you for that quote! See, the Holonet is the Internet of the SW galaxy. Without it, Rebels have to use rendezvous points and couriers and stuff like that.

But at the same time, normal, loyal citizens aren't allowed access. Kids can't copy Jedi Masters' books for homework! :shock: Families on different planets lose touch. :cry:
HAHAHAHA! Beautifully evil is't it?
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

You do realize I'm trying to prove that the Empire's evil, right? You're helping me.
JADAFETWA
His Divine Shadow

IG-88E wrote:You do realize I'm trying to prove that the Empire's evil, right? You're helping me.
Yeah so?
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Just thought Id clarify that. :)

Anyway...is there anything left to prove here?
JADAFETWA
RadiO
Jedi Knight

Post by RadiO »

Okay... How do we know Stormtroopers, or TIE pilots, or Death Star Gunners are all white? They ain't all British, that's for sure. We see (on screen, at least) that the vast majority of Rebel combatants are white humans (and all male). But we don't see the other side of the coin.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

They're all brits in the prequels. You can tell by the bad teeth. *hides*
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

What's with all the Ackbar-bashing here? He's no GADM Thrawn, but I rate him as GEN Bel Iblis's superior. Sure, it was a trap at Endor (as well as his exclamation, totally unneeded), but he also led his forces (unwillingly, perhaps) straight into point-blank battle, something apparently never really contemplated before.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

phongn wrote:What's with all the Ackbar-bashing here? He's no GADM Thrawn, but I rate him as GEN Bel Iblis's superior. Sure, it was a trap at Endor (as well as his exclamation, totally unneeded), but he also led his forces (unwillingly, perhaps) straight into point-blank battle, something apparently never really contemplated before.
I believe Bel Iblis is a better commander then Ackbar, as for him being a general...so what? Just because you are a higher rank does not always mean you are a better commander. There is a reason Lando was practically saying "what?!" when ackbar said to bring them to point blank with the enemy capitol ships, because it is insane. It is one of the few desisions (minus retreat which was not a real option) that he had but i doubt it could have been the best. But yes Ackbar is a good commander.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
RadiO
Jedi Knight

Post by RadiO »

David wrote:They're all brits in the prequels. You can tell by the bad teeth. *hides*
With the exception of some of the Naboo forces (and like anybody gives a damn about 'em) none of the soldiers we've seen so far in the prequels are Brits. Not that anybody in Star Wars is acually
I just think that this kind of thing is all something of a red herring. There must be millions of people who don't fit the "white male" stereotype serving the Empire and the Rebels. It's just that for whatever reason, we rarely saw them on screen in the original trilogy - on either side.
The scene with the bounty hunters that IRG CommandoJoe mentioned - that could be taken as actually supporting the idea that the Empire isn't unusually racist. It would have been easy for that officer to just call Bossk and his pals alien scum, or just scum (given that IIRC only one of them is actually human, and a modified one at that) But by the look of it, he's just judging these people by what they actually are as individuals, not by their species or race. They are scumbag criminals by choice, and they'd put the back up any law enforcement official.
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Possibly the New Republic made up this 'Empire=racist' thing to have another excuse for attacking the Empire.
Supermod
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

David wrote:They're all brits in the prequels. You can tell by the bad teeth. *hides*
That was... ill-advised.

::zaps the Monkey Lord in his hidey-hole::
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

I'm going to another thread

::Monkey walks off holding his singed tail::
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Short Answer: Of course it was evil that was the whole point of the damn thing! A brave rebellion against an evil empire!

Before I say anything I am not a movie purist so don’t reply with well it wasn’t in the movies so it wasn’t relevant or anything like that, I won’t pay any attention to you if you do so.

Okay let’s start with the destruction of Alderaan. This just has to fit the definition of an “evil act” if there ever was such a thing. Did they destroy it because it was a valid military target? No, they destroyed it as part of an interrogation of Princess Leia how can it be defended? They murdered a whole planets population in the blink of an eye to try and get some information on a rebel base. The planet wasn’t even an active participant in rebellion; it was a pacifistic planet that had turned against the idea of war after the horrors of the clone wars. They were no threat to the empire, their leaders may have been but the empire could have easily dealt with them without destroying the whole planet.

The empire wasn’t opposed to using slavery to it’s own ends either, the first death star and the maw facility come to mind as two times when wookiee slaves were used in construction efforts. I don’t know if they were used on DSII but I would not be surprised if they were. Hell after the first death star was constructed they blew up the fucking planet it was built at for a test, how’s that for a reward for service to the empire?

How about what happened on the homeworld of Qwi Xux? Tarkin took the best and brightest of their kids, placed them into a forced education system and if any of them cracked he blasted their home cities with turbolasers! Gotta love this government that never hurts its loyal citizens eh?

The way the empire was created is wonderful as well. Manufacture a devastating war that claims the lives of millions if not billions and ravages the whole galaxy just because someone wanted to be emperor. How enchanting, I doubt any conflict since has produced a fraction of the casualties in that war not even the Yuuzhan Vong invasion.

Gotta love the way the emperor treated the guy who created the death star as well, every mistake he made the emperor found a new excruciating way to kill him and the transferred his spirit into a new body.

Caamaas, they were worried they might resist so they scorched the planet of all life. Lovely, they didn’t even wait for them to actually do anything they just wiped them out on the off chance they would resist.

There is always the emperor’s little backup plans in case Coruscant fell to the rebels. First off he had a super star destroyer embedded underneath the planets surface for a getaway vehicle and second he had it set up so he could switch off the air scrubbers which on a planet with no plant life worthy of the name is pretty much game over. He was prepared to sacrifice every person on the planet if the planet fell lovely man isn’t he? Considering the emperor defines the empire it isn’t looking good is it? How many people would be killed in the initial star destroyer launch and then the slow death due to suffocation for the rest.

Then there is Palpys successor Isard, how many died a slow painful death because of her Krytos virus?

That’s enough I think but I’m sure there is plenty more evidence.
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

What you said was mostly EU stuff, and the canon things you brought up have already been dealt with.
Supermod
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Easy there, cap'n :)

That's a pretty good answer, CV. That's what I was trying to think of how to say.
JADAFETWA
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I'll tell you why the Empire is evil: They give you bith ketchup AND catsup at the mess hall's table!
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Cpt_Frank wrote:What you said was mostly EU stuff, and the canon things you brought up have already been dealt with.
Crazy_Vasey wrote:
Before I say anything I am not a movie purist so don’t reply with well it wasn’t in the movies so it wasn’t relevant or anything like that, I won’t pay any attention to you if you do so.
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

I know that all of the Imperial gunners, Stormtroopers, TIE Pilots, IRGs are white human males because Jango Fett was. Which also brings up the point of why the clone army of the Old Republic was all white human males....BECAUSE IT WAS PALPATINE'S CLONE ARMY. Another thing I forgot to mention was the black guy in the Rebel commando unit on Endor. Why do you keep mentioning the Rebels' military as mostly white in the movies? Sure it's mostly white. But it's not only limited to whites. That is how it is today in the U.S. armed forces. The majority is white, but it has minorities. Apparantly, it's not the case with the Empire. That is what explains my theory with the Rebel pilots in ANH and TESB. Notice how you never see any women or people with different skin color in Rogue Squadron. The Alliance's elite pilots are in Rogue Squadron, and the number one place to be trained is at the Academy, where virtually all Rebel pilots were trained in the beginning. So the Academy pilots join the Rebels. All of them were white human males before the Rebels started training their own pilots. Obviously, the Academy pilots are better trained than anyone else if the Rebels started training their own, so they are the candidates for Rogue Squadron. But Academy pilots are only white human males. Therefore, Rogue Squadron is white human males in TESB. But by the time of RotJ, the Rebels might have trained their own pilots because they have enough to spare from active combat duty (plus training their own means more pilots than not training their own), and they don't turn down talented pilots that are merely female or have a different skin color. My entire point is that you never see any human that isn't a white human male in service of the Empire in any of the movies at all. But you do see women and humans with different skin color in other Star Wars organizations. And there was another film technique Lucas used to underscore the good guys and the bad guys. He made it so that you never see the faces of the bad guys but you see the faces of the good guys. The Rebels all had helmets where you can actually see their faces while the Empire had helmets that masked everyone's faces. That is why he made Vader the way he was as well. Now of course this doesn't apply to officers, but for every Imperial with a mask, the Rebel equivilant with a mask. Here's another fun phrase for the OT: Not all Imperials are evil people, but all evil people are Imperials. [/code]
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Yes thats a Big thing, We saw 10k StormTroops We saw 0 Stormtroopers faces, Who knows?

Besides Being Black is not just a genetic thing but Also an Enviromental Factor in Protection from the Sun. Now if you live waaaaaay in the Future and live on a ship are you going to need that extra 5 mintues of Skin protect you get from being Black?

Could just be explained away as genetic drift(That the right word?)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

I doubt colour of skin would be particularly relevant when there's everything from yeti lookalikes to giant walking fish around.
RadiO
Jedi Knight

Post by RadiO »

IRG CommandoJoe wrote:I know that all of the Imperial gunners, Stormtroopers, TIE Pilots, IRGs are white human males because Jango Fett was. Which also brings up the point of why the clone army of the Old Republic was all white human males....BECAUSE IT WAS PALPATINE'S CLONE ARMY.
Are all or any of the Imperial forces actually clones, though? Surely we don't know that for certain yet, although Ep III will hopefully make it clearer.
IRG CommandoJoe wrote: one thing I forgot to mention was the black guy in the Rebel commando unit on Endor.

So that's three guys who aren't white, out of the hundreds of Rebel personnel we see. It's an advance over what we see face to face of the Empire, I'll admit, but... three guys? You'd think there'd be millions of non-whites and women fighting in the RA just out of principle.
IRG CommandoJoe wrote: Why do you keep mentioning the Rebels' military as mostly white in the movies? Sure it's mostly white. But it's not only limited to whites. That is how it is today in the U.S. armed forces. The majority is white, but it has minorities. Apparantly, it's not the case with the Empire.
Maybe you're just meant to assume that that's the case with all the forces in SW. I dunno, it seems the safest bet to me. But then I'm a complete git.
IRG CommandoJoe wrote: That is what explains my theory with the Rebel pilots in ANH and TESB. Notice how you never see any women or people with different skin color in Rogue Squadron. The Alliance's elite pilots are in Rogue Squadron, and the number one place to be trained is at the Academy, where virtually all Rebel pilots were trained in the beginning. So the Academy pilots join the Rebels. All of them were white human males before the Rebels started training their own pilots. Obviously, the Academy pilots are better trained than anyone else if the Rebels started training their own, so they are the candidates for Rogue Squadron. But Academy pilots are only white human males. Therefore, Rogue Squadron is white human males in TESB. But by the time of RotJ, the Rebels might have trained their own pilots because they have enough to spare from active combat duty (plus training their own means more pilots than not training their own), and they don't turn down talented pilots that are merely female or have a different skin color.
I always thought the racial supremacy that the Imperials were guilty of was that of superiority of humans over aliens. Not that of white humans over everybody else. "Join a new age of peace and order. The lawful and the productive have nothing to fear from the Emperor, who watches over the villainous alien hordes to keep Humanity safe from their domination ... Hey, no, get lost, buddy. You can't join in, you're Mexican." Hmm.
Granted, racism of any sort is utterly wrong, and it's a slippery slope when you introduce any kind of discrimination into society. But if the Empire does discriminate on skin colour, then their racism is far less sophisticated than that of the Earth society in that Planet of the Apes sequel (you know the one). It's easily possible; it's just really, really depressing.
IRG CommandoJoe wrote: My entire point is that you never see any human that isn't a white human male in service of the Empire in any of the movies at all. But you do see women and humans with different skin color in other Star Wars organizations.
Very few, though. Actually, there's a thought... Maybe these prejudices and racial tensions are not confined to the Empire, but are actualy a significant and barely conquered undercurrent throughout humans in the galaxy as a whole, thrown to the forefront by Palpatine and his hatred. Thus the Rebels must initially struggle against the very prejudices they are deriding in the Empire, and in the long run must not only topple the Emperor but also change an entire Galactic races' outlook on aliens, non-Caucasians and women. Tough job; taking down the Death Star II would be the easiest part of that deal.
IRG CommandoJoe wrote: And there was another film technique Lucas used to underscore the good guys and the bad guys. He made it so that you never see the faces of the bad guys but you see the faces of the good guys. The Rebels all had helmets where you can actually see their faces while the Empire had helmets that masked everyone's faces.
Maybe the full-face helmets are meant to be a badge of unity amongst the human peoples. That wouldn't actually be a good thing, you understand, but it wouldn't necessarily be discriminatory. It would just indicate Palpatine's willingness to dominate all human cultures equally, nice man that he is. :?
IRG CommandoJoe wrote: That is why he made Vader the way he was as well. Now of course this doesn't apply to officers, but for every Imperial with a mask, the Rebel equivilant with a mask. Here's another fun phrase for the OT: Not all Imperials are evil people, but all evil people are Imperials. [/code][/i]
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

As I've pointed out before Dark Skin is mostly Enviormental
If you live on space-ships and stations all your life your not gonna have much of a tan now are you?

Think about it..

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Captain_Cyran wrote:I believe Bel Iblis is a better commander then Ackbar, as for him being a general...so what? Just because you are a higher rank does not always mean you are a better commander.
I never said that. I said that I believed Ackbar to be superior to Bel Iblis in the arts of war.
There is a reason Lando was practically saying "what?!" when ackbar said to bring them to point blank with the enemy capitol ships, because it is insane.
No, Lando had Ackbar close the range with the Imperial Fleet. It was an apparently unprecedented maneuver with large fleets, hence Ackbar's exclamations.

But while Lando suggested it, Ackbar had to implement it on the fly. It seems that the good Admiral pretty much created short-range fleet combat doctrine then and there.

Bel Iblis was good, yes, but an Ackbar?