No Disintegrations

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Formless
Sith Marauder

Re: No Disintegrations

Post by Formless »

Brobi-Wan Kenobi wrote: 2023-02-18 09:22pm Yeah, from what we see in the OT Trilogy, Boba Fett is a VERY shitty bounty hunter. This implies he always takes the easy way out and just disintegrates his enemies, his father would be ashamed. Also, he's bested by a literal blind man. He should have stayed dead, and I think his death suited him. I never liked him as a kid, I always saw him as a lame coward.
So you think a man who knows Han Solo so well that both of them think of the "float away with the garbage " trick and whom Vader respects enough to actually hand over Solo so Fett can claim Jabba's bounty money is a "VERY shitty bounty hunter"? Do you even realize what the job of Bounty hunting actually is? :wanker:
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Galvatron wrote: 2023-02-19 02:07am Or maybe Boba Fett is just as pragmatic about bounty hunting as SLJ is in The Hateful Eight:

Yeah but SLJ (or heck Schultz and Django) are left with actual corpses that they haul to the office to prove what they've done to collect the reward. That's the point. Disintegration is massive overkill and counterproductive.

While I do enjoy a little tongue-in-cheek knocking of Boba's rep, I admit there have been good ideas raised in this thread. Like the idea the no disintegrations bit was for the secondary targets or this post:
Elheru Aran wrote: 2023-02-13 09:57pm As far as the disintegrations go:

We see in Mandalorian that bounties are assigned with 'tracking fobs', presumably connected in some way to biometrics. We also see that Mando's amban rifle is capable of disintegration, but there's still organic matter, so one can conjecture that in the case of disintegrated bounties, the kill can be recorded via the fob or some such; certainly Mando could have a gun-camera in his helmet or rifle sights for the purpose.

While information can certainly be faked, *hiding* that it's been faked is another matter, and word of mouth is important in the underworld community. If someone is killed without anybody else knowing how it happened and who did it, that's a bit unusual.
This is interesting. My lack of excitement about mandowank means I've not bothered to see the series. So do we have canonical depiction of what disintegration actually entails? (is it a *gasp* phaser like chain reaction weapon not the almighty DET Blasters?) And is anything leftover that could still identify the kills? Like if they had the Bounty's dna or something.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Disintegration effect looked similar to modern Trek phaser vaporization effects, it's a short puff and the body more or less disappears, though it did leave clothes in case of the Amban rifle.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I wonder how trusted bounty hunters are. If one of them reports that a target was killed and there's no proof, does the guild take them at their word with the proviso that their life is forfeit if that target resurfaces later?

And there are other ways to disintegrate a target without some phaser-like blaster. Maybe Fett has a reputation for using Slave I to go scorched earth on them. Or maybe he has a habit of tossing thermal detonators at them.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Galvatron wrote: 2023-02-19 03:12pm I wonder how trusted bounty hunters are. If one of them reports that a target was killed and there's no proof, does the guild take them at their word with the proviso that their life is forfeit if that target resurfaces later?
I suspect that depends on the hunter in question. Someone who is new to the business or has a rep of being sloppy probably probably always need proof of the kill, while a veteran bounty hunter who is known to get the job done would be likely to be taken at their word.

After all the guild gets nothing with a policy that was same for all hunters here, it would just annoy the veteran hunters to go solo and try to convince others to do so or even set up a rival guild and might allow newbies to cheat on big contracts if "no proof" kills were allowed as a general policy. It's far more practical to allow no proof kills only when someone has proven they can and did perform the task at hand even if you don't have direct proof of that since the proof is the countless other tasks they did perform to satisfaction.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n