Anyone else watching Obi-Wan Kenobi?(Spoiler thread)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Anyone else watching Obi-Wan Kenobi?(Spoiler thread)

Post by Lonestar »

In the most recent episode, the "What has become of you?" exchange might be one of the better ones in the franchise.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Anyone else watching Obi-Wan Kenobi?(Spoiler thread)

Post by Gandalf »

Watching it, and generally enjoying it.

Solid Flea cameo.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Another Star Wars series where the hero must bring a lost child home.

I'm enjoying it.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Also, the hero himself was in some sense a "lost" child and adopted into a new family. Does seem to be a recurring theme.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

Watching it. Enjoying it on the whole.

I actually liked Rupert Friend's portrayal of the Grand Inquisitor; even if some on Youtube hate it seemingly on principle. Copying the Rebels version was always going to be hard, bearing in mind the art style. And trying to impersonate Jason Isaacs risked sounding fake. Far better to do his own rendition, and be judged on that. Though I do wonder what's going to come of Reva having seemingly killed him.

We also have a homeless clone veteran; according to Wookiepedia from the 501st legion, and played by Temuera Morrison. A nice touch, adding to a general sense of despair, decay, and innocence lost. When we saw the clones in Clone Wars, they were the bright, shiny, kid-friendly heroes of the Republic. Then they became robotic Jedi-killers thanks to chips in their brains. Now at least one of them is reduced to begging for spare change. The bandaged arms hint at genetic decay, and his general demeanour is that of a lost and quite possibly traumatised soul. The look on Obi-Wan's face clinches it.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Why does the bandaged arm indicate anything beyond the guy's arm being hurt 'somehow'? The Clones aren't invulnerable or immune to ordinary human deseases, Maybe the guy got hurt the same way the rest of us do.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Got hurt and clearly did not receive appropriate medical treatment, hinting at the abandonment of veterans.

As I recall, the Clone Troopers had accelerated aging, did it continue throughout their lives? I mean, instead of 20 year olds you might have had 10 year olds going into battle, I'm sure that messed a lot of them up.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I simply assumed the accelerated aging was only until they were adults, because having it continue all through their lives would be counterproductive (unless they were all assumed to be killed in combat before their 30th birthday).Throws away all the things the surviving clones learned for no gain (and besides, Rebels shows us clones that seem to have aged naturally since the Clone Wars)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Batman's right, Clone Wars shows the Clones have aged "naturally" after they reached adulthood (Whatever age that was).

However, they were accelerated to adulthood, as well as never leaving their "batch siblings", so they did not have anywhere near a normal childhood which we know does affect mental stability later in life. Add in PTSD, then kick them out of the only home/safe place they ever knew? Where are they going to go? Where will they find work? They're not mentally wired for civilian life, so they fall to the bottom (of a bottle or not) and are left on the streets.

It's a very quiet but strong slant on the current US situation with homeless Vets.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

LadyTevar wrote: 2022-06-04 09:49pm Batman's right, Clone Wars shows the Clones have aged "naturally" after they reached adulthood (Whatever age that was).

However, they were accelerated to adulthood, as well as never leaving their "batch siblings", so they did not have anywhere near a normal childhood which we know does affect mental stability later in life. Add in PTSD, then kick them out of the only home/safe place they ever knew? Where are they going to go? Where will they find work? They're not mentally wired for civilian life, so they fall to the bottom (of a bottle or not) and are left on the streets.

It's a very quiet but strong slant on the current US situation with homeless Vets.
Also assuming the chip is no longer active, Order 66 probably did a number on the psyche of the clones as well.

I mean we know Clones made bonds and respected at least some Jedi and had they own personalities with their own, hopes, fears and values (to a degree obviously), now imagine see your body and mind taken over by this mindless droid in a human body who follows orders without questions and cares not for those values or friendship you've built up over the years since "good soldiers follow orders", now during it it might feel like a bad dream, but now imagine waking up and finding out the dream as all too real.

Now survivors of those people you might have once called "friend" hate you and with reason as even if you had no control the blood of those Jedi who didn't survive is on your hands.

It's really no surprise that the bottle or offerings of a spice dealer might sound very inviting to the veteran clones, especially as it's strongly implied that there was no psychological treatments for the vets of the Clone Wars by the Empire.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Juubi Karakuchi wrote: 2022-06-04 06:23pm I actually liked Rupert Friend's portrayal of the Grand Inquisitor; even if some on Youtube hate it seemingly on principle. Copying the Rebels version was always going to be hard, bearing in mind the art style. And trying to impersonate Jason Isaacs risked sounding fake. Far better to do his own rendition, and be judged on that. Though I do wonder what's going to come of Reva having seemingly killed him.
I did see some people complaining about how poor a job Disney did at bringing the Grand Inquisitor from Rebels to live action. Mainly complaints about the makeup. Which did make his death a bigger surprise.

As for consequences for Reva killing the Grand Inquisitor, she's currently playing dark side power games with another inquisitor while hunting a jedi master. That's not going to end well for her, even if nobody questions her story about Kenobi killing the Grand Inquisitor.
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Batman wrote: 2022-06-04 06:44pm Why does the bandaged arm indicate anything beyond the guy's arm being hurt 'somehow'? The Clones aren't invulnerable or immune to ordinary human deseases, Maybe the guy got hurt the same way the rest of us do.
I probably overstated that. In some older material, the clones did seem to suffer from rapid ageing and genetic illnesses. However, I don't think that's been re-canonised, or if it was even consistent in Legends.

The real power of that scene lay in the look on Ewan McGregor's face. A combination of fear, pity, and disbelief.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Wasn't Rex and Co all pretty old dudes in Rebels? That's only tennish years later right? They seemed to have aged pretty badly for the SW universe.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Clones are definitely still aging faster than normal. If the rapid aging stopped at maturity, Rex and crew would be early/mid-40s at most by Rebels - they're clearly much older (physically) than that.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-06-05 09:27am
Juubi Karakuchi wrote: 2022-06-04 06:23pm I actually liked Rupert Friend's portrayal of the Grand Inquisitor; even if some on Youtube hate it seemingly on principle. Copying the Rebels version was always going to be hard, bearing in mind the art style. And trying to impersonate Jason Isaacs risked sounding fake. Far better to do his own rendition, and be judged on that. Though I do wonder what's going to come of Reva having seemingly killed him.
I did see some people complaining about how poor a job Disney did at bringing the Grand Inquisitor from Rebels to live action. Mainly complaints about the makeup. Which did make his death a bigger surprise.

As for consequences for Reva killing the Grand Inquisitor, she's currently playing dark side power games with another inquisitor while hunting a jedi master. That's not going to end well for her, even if nobody questions her story about Kenobi killing the Grand Inquisitor.
It's not confirmed that he's dead and the dialogue was interesting.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Mange wrote: 2022-06-05 02:01pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2022-06-05 09:27am

It's not confirmed that he's dead and the dialogue was interesting.
At a minimum, her first attack left him in no position to prevent her finishing him off. So why would she let him live ?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Because screwing around with the dark side seems to lower a person's IQ points?

Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Broomstick wrote: 2022-06-06 04:57am Because screwing around with the dark side seems to lower a person's IQ points?
Not a matter of intelligence so much as ability to think clearly.

From what I understand of the Dark Side, it is attracted by negative emotions and impulses, and then feeds them back; blowing them out of all proportion. The major canon example is Anakin, who was driven to the Dark Side by a fear of losing Padme; then killed her in a fit of rage and paranoia.

Compared with that, Reva stabbing a superior she already hates is comparatively mild.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-06-06 12:14am At a minimum, her first attack left him in no position to prevent her finishing him off. So why would she let him live ?
She she can sense him suffering?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Solauren wrote: 2022-06-06 01:34pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2022-06-06 12:14am At a minimum, her first attack left him in no position to prevent her finishing him off. So why would she let him live ?
She she can sense him suffering?
It's also a pretty good "fuck you." While the boss recovers, she finds Kenobi, wins Vader's favour, and gets the promotion. The now former boss lives in shame as a failure and lesson as to what happens when you get in Reva's way.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Didn't she basically immediately pursue Kenobi toward the cargo ship after making her gutter comment?

I'd presume by the time she got done shaking her fist impotently at the departing Kenobi and Leia, the other Inquisitors and/or Imperial Army had shown up and it was too late to "finish the job" as it were.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Apart for some silly things*, I have overall enjoyed it so far. Way more than the average Boba Fett episode

*(like the clumsy chase of Leia, or Vader suddenly stopped by a bit of fire, despite he literally puts it out a few seconds before).
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Vader stopping at the fire is easy enough to explain.

He sensed where Reva was, and that letting Kenobi go would prolong his suffering, and possibly lead him to more useful information.

Vader's an evil, sadistic asshole (I loved his walk down the street), but he's also an intelligent asshole.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Solauren wrote: 2022-06-07 08:12am Vader stopping at the fire is easy enough to explain.

He sensed where Reva was, and that letting Kenobi go would prolong his suffering, and possibly lead him to more useful information.

Vader's an evil, sadistic asshole (I loved his walk down the street), but he's also an intelligent asshole.
Yeah that's what makes the most sense to me too. Like a cat playing with his prey
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

That was another fun ep.

So why was the Jedi youngling in the not quite carbonite? I get the emotional point they were trying to hit, but it seemed odd.

Also enjoying Vader getting around like a proper villain. They're clearly doubling down on how horrible he is, so I wonder what will happen when he eventually meets Leia?

- George Carlin