New Biggaton for Star Wars Ships

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

New Biggaton for Star Wars Ships

Post by WhiteLion »

Hi everyone, I haven't written for a while. I come back with a very juicy topic, at least for me, because I recently learned it.
There is a paragraph on ICS that describes the heavy weapons of the Venator Class, and attributes to them the ability to channel much of the reactor's power. As I remember the reactor has enormous power, so I believe it can set a new weapon power record.
Does anyone know the energy output of the star destroyer reactor?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: New Biggaton for Star Wars Ships

Post by Solauren »

The question is, how MUCH of the Venator's power goes into each gun. The gun has to have upper limits on what it can do.

So it could be more like 'when it runs out of ammo, switch to the reactor for power to lob at the enemy'

And the Destroyers in 'Rise of Skywalker' all had Death Star level firepower. They still win.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

https://i.imgur.com/Z3QcNR6.png

This is the screen, it says that it can pour almost the entire reactor into heavy weapons, it is a lot, because even if we do not know the power of the single weapon, we will know the total power of each salvo of all heavy weapons batteries.
The question is do we know how much energy a reactor produces?

If I remember correctly, the executor is quoted as having the shields of the power of a sun, so about 90 petatons per second. The reactor to power these shields should have a higher power, because it must also allow the ship to have the shields raised while it is moving in hyperspace.

We also know that the assertor class is cited as capable of destroying planets, we don't know how long it takes, but it can do it anyway.

if it is of interest I can post the photos of the screens about it (of the executor's shields and the assertor's ability to destroy worlds)
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Entire Reactor Output.

So, that begs the question, what is the reactor output per Second?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Then there is the efficiency question. How much energy gets to hit the target ?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Why would shield resilience automatically be tied to power generation? How much power does a wall need? A tank's armour? Dams?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
chimericoncogene
Padawan Learner

Post by chimericoncogene »

The conventional wisdom (which is mostly sound) is that since Star Wars spacecraft have high power outputs by virtue of performing feats like crossing Yavin IV's orbit (presumably a distance of several hundred thousand kilometers) in several minutes to engage Death Stars, Star Wars weaponry should have power outputs of similar orders of magnitude.

Traditionally, the lower bound for sublight is set by the movies, which have X-wings crossing several hundred thousand kilometers (or more) of open space (Yavin moon system) in <5-10 minutes (Death Star attack) and the Falcon tearing across interplanetary distances (<AU, probably) within a few hours at most over Hoth (depending on how Hoth System is laid out).

Typical velocities in the 1000km/s range (0.003c) make reasonable sense, with total delta-vee being ten times that or something for multiple casual trips. These are very impressive velocities nonetheless, and getting up to them in minutes is the reasoning behind very impressive power outputs, accelerations, and gigaton-range turbolaser fire.

A million tonne spacecraft (a cube maybe 100m on a side, rather small by SW warship standards) at 1,000 km/s has about 100 gigatons of kinetic energy. Assuming it took a hundred seconds to get up to speed, that's about a gigaton per second of power output. If you're shifting anything like rocket reaction mass (made of weakly interacting particles or whatever) to get up to these velocities, most of the energy goes into the exhaust, and the power requirements just skyrocket further to many times that.

All the calcs are very fuzzy, and are useful only as rules of thumb simply because the unknowns are enormous. Estimates can swing between six orders of magnitude easy.

Typical values thrown around are teraton turbolasers and yottawatt Star Destroyers; the most conservative (and least awesome) estimates (reactionless drive/highly limited delta-vee) might yield gigaton turbolasers and zettawatt Venators.

Note that a major justification for such power outputs is because they are not only reasonable, but also very very awesome. Space opera is supposed to have impressive spacecraft and weaponry in it. If you're doing space opera, and your spacecraft sound unimpressive by dint of having only a fraction of their propulsion power at their disposal, you're doing it wrong. It paints a picture of giants fighting with plastic teaspoons, which is rather un-operatic.

Idiosyncratic warfare technologies can always be dreamed up by which kinetic energy weapons are unusable (possibly due to guidance and fire control limitations), and create situations where turbolasers fire rounds no more impressive than Cold War era nuclear-artillery shells (or even solid shot). But it's just not as awesome as yottawatt Star Destroyers with teraton turbolasers.
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

@Solauren, yes the point is, how much energy does the reactor have? I remember that on the wikia card of a ship whose model I do not remember, there was the reactor output, but I honestly do not remember which ship it was or the power of the reactor, because it was not a detail that interested me.

@bilateralrope, surely a% of energy will be lost, but in any case a large part of the energy is conceivable that it reaches the weapons.

@Batman, I don't know how to answer this, I don't have precise data about it. But I know that the Star Wars Legend canon states that an Executor's shields have the power of a star, assuming a sun-like star will have a power of over 90 petatons per second at the low end.
We know that the shields are powered by the reactor, so it is logical to assume that the executor's reactor must necessarily be more powerful than a star, because the hyperdrive and weapons consume a lot of energy, and the ship must be able to travel in hyperspace with the stars. shields raised, and must be able to fight with both active shields and sustained firing weapons.

@chimericoncogene, having data on acceleration, speed and distance traveled would it be possible to obtain the amount of energy necessary to make this journey? In this way we could get an idea of ​​the partial energy of the reactor.
chimericoncogene
Padawan Learner

WhiteLion wrote: 2020-08-14 06:03am

@chimericoncogene, having data on acceleration, speed and distance traveled would it be possible to obtain the amount of energy necessary to make this journey? In this way we could get an idea of ​​the partial energy of the reactor.
Not without exhaust velocity, no. Also, there's no point getting exact numbers; all numbers are rough guesses, and for all intents and purposes, Star Wars tech uses magical energy sources like hypermatter (or for people who think crystals sound better, magic crystals). We can't even say for certain they use reaction drives; this is a matter of how you like to flavor your science fiction.

For most applications, saying "as much power as a small star" or "yottawatt" or "trillion-terawatt" or "enough power to melt an icy moonlet" gets the point across to your friends.

If you want, you can look at the AOTC Incredible Cross Sections book and scale from there - an Acclamator, 750m long, is cited as having a peak reactor power of 0.2 yottawatts, and 0.07 yottawatts of shielding (whatever that means). A Yottawatt is often cited for something like a mile-long ISD. The sun's power output is 380 yottawatts. So an Executor with ~1000x the volume of an ISD might have a power output on the order of magnitude of a star.

You're on the forum of a site which started its life as reasonably comprehensive compilation of Star Wars technical commentary. Calcs are everywhere.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/toc.html

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/index.html
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Honestly if you want Biggatons for Star Wars look no further than the Death Stars, Starkiller Base, that FO Dreadnought from the beginning of TLJ and of course the fleet of planet-killers on ships that were about 50% bigger than a normal ISD.

At this point the "special/lost/unreplicatable/[insert excuse here] tech" dodge goes right out the window. Considering all of those were able to be built in secret because nobody knew the fucking things existed (except the Dreadnought) or what they could do until they were revealed and wrecked some people's shit, that just goes to further solidify their technological and industrial capabilities on top of it.

If Empire Want Big Boom, Empire can make Big Boom. And it doesn't require so much of their effort that the galaxy at large would even know about it.

Why it seems they don't have the same for their 'standard' weapons with that whole power drop-off and TLJ's silly lobbing shots that were ineffective until you crossed some magical line in space I have no idea.

But you seriously can't argue against Star Wars Biggatons when you have that Final Order Fleet courtesy of ROS. You just can't. Clearly they can do it, they just don't (normally) see the need to, for some reason or other.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

more then likely, the Final Order Fleet's technological advances were done in secret after Endor. It went from big, expensive, and impractical, to 'viable/practical' over the course of say, 20 years, then 10 years of new fleet built and retrofitting.

WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

@chimericoncogene, thank you, this is an important fact, you could scale the power of the SD reactor with that of the larger ships, and get a reasonable estimate.

@Rogueice, excuse my ignorance, ROS what would that be?

Does anyone have the ICS pdf where the yottawatt powers of the reactor of an SD are stored? It would be really helpful to me in the discussions I'm having with my friends. According to them SW cannot compete with the classic scifi fleets, due to the disney canon, I am trying to gather material to show otherwise, or at least that at least they can be a difficult opponent and not easy to eliminate.
But however much, until now I think the only thing that matters is the Xystons.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

ROS=Rise of Skywalker
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

WhiteLion wrote: 2020-08-18 11:39am Does anyone have the ICS pdf where the yottawatt powers of the reactor of an SD are stored? It would be really helpful to me in the discussions I'm having with my friends. According to them SW cannot compete with the classic scifi fleets, due to the disney canon, I am trying to gather material to show otherwise, or at least that at least they can be a difficult opponent and not easy to eliminate.
Sidious/Palpatine built a galaxy killing fleet of ships, all armed with planet killer superlasers, on one planet, in secret. That means over the course of 30 years, no one noticed a build up of tens of thousands of planet killers.

That's saying something about Star Wars untapped technological capabilities.

WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

@Solauren, this is an important source, the fleet armed with superlaser killers of planets in which work do we find it? What ships are they? I knew that the ships with planet-killer weapons in one fell swoop were only the Xystons.
The other superlaser ships I knew did not have this power, I remember they were the SD Conqueror which could destroy a moon or cut a continent, and SSDs like the eclipse, which were capable of destroying a continent but not planets.

@Batman, ok, thanks a lot, I don't go very strong with abbreviations.
chimericoncogene
Padawan Learner

Pictures cut right out of the Incredible Cross Sections book are all over the net.

Typing in Acclamator Incredible Cross Sections gets you everything on the first page. Google is your friend.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

WhiteLion wrote: 2020-08-18 11:34pm @Solauren, this is an important source, the fleet armed with superlaser killers of planets in which work do we find it? What ships are they? I knew that the ships with planet-killer weapons in one fell swoop were only the Xystons.
The other superlaser ships I knew did not have this power, I remember they were the SD Conqueror which could destroy a moon or cut a continent, and SSDs like the eclipse, which were capable of destroying a continent but not planets.

@Batman, ok, thanks a lot, I don't go very strong with abbreviations.
Rise of Skywalker
It's support novel + materials

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

And the fun thing is even after including ROS Star Wars tech is still only upper middle tier, at best :P

They may be able to scale down a planet killer weapon into an ISD, but a bunch of Daleks can cobble together a planet killer weapon made of scrap and fit it into a guy’s chest. :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
WhiteLion
Padawan Learner

Post by WhiteLion »

In the discussion I am having with my friends I had also talked about the missiles of the solar crusher and those of the Planet Gun, but the point was not accepted because it is a potential and no ship has ever been equipped in this way
Vance
Youngling

Post by Vance »

Solauren wrote: 2020-08-12 04:10pm So, that begs the question, what is the reactor output per Second?
Some good posts in this thread, especially that one by Chimer, though I'm suprised given the subject/source of the thread no one mentioned the quote (from Venator's cross section, ICS), unless I missed it:

"Main reactor annihilates up to 40,000 tonnes of fuel per second at maximum power"

So the maximum power that the Venator could generate would be less than 3.6e24 W. So that''s something less than 900,000 gigatons per second.

Based on max acceleration you could work out a lower limit mass for the ship. IIRC, if you go by the Acclamator, roughly 5% of the power would be consumed by guns at max. yield and 20% by the shields (according to stated figures & assumptions on rate of fire). FYI, the power output of some Banking clan ships is also implied by the reactor "call out" text (what do you call it? lol) when its not mentioned in the data file.
BlasTech.info
Vance
Youngling

Post by Vance »

It should be noted 900 teratons/second is INSANE. My 'low end' estimate for the firepower of the Fulminatrix (in TLJ) was some tens of gigatons, and my 'higher estimate' (based on Resistance) is several teratons, considering an area of the planet over 200 km across coontinued to glow red-hot hours after impact. You can get hundreds or even thousands of teratons if you assume the depth of heating was hundreds of meters or thousands of meters, rather than just ONE meter as I assumed to be conservative. But in my opinion, the more conservative 'several teratons' seems to fit more easily with the explosive blasting effects observed in the film as well.

Photo for effect
https://photos.app.goo.gl/E6wtJKnUb2tbjzA87
BlasTech.info
chimericoncogene
Padawan Learner

Vance wrote: 2020-09-08 11:25am It should be noted 900 teratons/second is INSANE.
Well, this is Star Wars, where they make orbit in seconds, zip across the galaxy in hours at 30 million times the speed of light, blow up planets with trillion-teraton shots (with a power output similar to that of the entire Milky Way galaxy on a normal second), and sell hyperdrive-equipped spacecraft to inner-city orphans at affordable prices.

It is insane. And it is utterly glorious!

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/r ... Boom_Table