Volume of Xyston-class Star Destroyer?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Volume of Xyston-class Star Destroyer?

Post by Gandalf »

Was the First Order a "first rate power?"

I thought them more analogous to ISIS or some sort of petrostate.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I have no answers, just ideas.
Patroklos wrote: 2020-02-23 07:28pmRose is a known fucking idiot, so who cares what she thinks.
:lol:
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Gandalf wrote: 2020-02-23 07:46pm Was the First Order a "first rate power?"

I thought them more analogous to ISIS or some sort of petrostate.
They can build planets, destroy star systems, and they conquered the galaxy in approximately two weeks. That doesn’t speak to a multipolar (as opposed to bipolar or unipolar) power structure. At the very least not one where the FO is at the bottom of the pack.

But let’s say every SD the FO has us third party supplied. What are they buying them with? ISIS ain’t buying super carriers. It’s a similar problem to where the FO gets its kit if is a backwater impoverished terrorist rump state. Even if they don’t build them themselves, what is the source of the vast wealth needed for someone else to build them for them? And you always buy at a premium, so while the medium of acquisition might be different between self building and buyer if, buying is overall more expensive.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Apparently the First Order absorbed parts of the New Republic even before TFA.
Though the First Order was officially formed in 29 ABY, having incorporated the Centrist star systems that seceded from the New Republic, its origins date back to a vast conspiracy decades in the making.
The secession of Centrist worlds precipitated a cold war between the First Order and the New Republic, followed by open war between the Resistance and the First Order.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/First_Order
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

To answer the question

Go ahead and ignore what sw-v-st says, Robert Scott Anderson is nuttier than squirrel poop - you can find some of his insane behavior in the archives here - and terrible at math, science, or honesty. Hopefully that guy has gotten the mental health treatment he so desperately needed in the intervening decades.

Measured volumes from models were between 1e8 and 1.3e8 cubic meters. The numbers that appear in the ICS books and canon are consistent with 1.3e8 being used as the "true" volume.

1.3e8 cubic meters, times 7800 kgs per m^3 (density of iron) gets you 1e12 kgs total mass. speed of light times 3000 gs times gravitational acceleration is ~10^13; multiply that by the mass and you get the peak power of ~1e25 watts. 1e12 kgs of mass times 10^17 (approx c^2) gets you 10^29, which was the estimated fuel energy. 1e29/1e25 gets you 10^4 secs, which was the back end effective full power envelope. 3.25 cubic meters to the ton from 1.3e8 gets you a tonnage of 40 million, which is the published tonnage of an ISD.

So yeah, 1.3e8 is the unofficial official volume. All the numbers track from it.

Square cube law takes that to 4.39e8 cubic meters for the Xyston.

Hope that helps
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

MKSheppard wrote: 2020-01-24 10:38pmLet's look at this objectively.

Palpatine wasn't gross until after THE JEDI BETRAYAL (TM). He was a kindly old man who wasn't (that) bad looking before he ate his own force lighting, so it's believable that he had a semi-official mistress to keep up appearances in gossip; since you can't put "Studies of the Dark Side of the Force" as your "I did this this year." for the tabloids.

So looking at the timeline:

ABY Event
-84 Palpatine Born
-32 Phantom Menace
-22 Attack of the Clones
-19 Revenge of the Sith
0 ANH
4 ROTJ
15 Rey Born
34 Force Awakens

At the minimum, his son has to have been born 19 BBY (-19); so he'd be about 23 when the Death Star II explodes over Endor.

That then makes him about 34 years old when Rey is born. Add a few years onto that for the abandonment of Rey on Jakku; and, it kind of works actually.

That's as much as I'm going to try and "fixit" this shitpile.
aaaaand the LFL Story Group goes and fucks it up by apparently making Rey's father, a "failed" Palpatine clone in the ROS novelisation. :lol:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
chimericoncogene
Padawan Learner

Post by chimericoncogene »

The great Senator Palpatine, rich guy extraordinaire with great taste in art, could never get a mistress, and had to rely on a silly clone to procreate...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

chimericoncogene wrote: 2020-03-05 09:17pm The great Senator Palpatine, rich guy extraordinaire with great taste in art, could never get a mistress, and had to rely on a silly clone to procreate...
I suspect its more "Ewww, Palpatine fucking? Who wants that?"
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
chimericoncogene
Padawan Learner

Post by chimericoncogene »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-03-11 01:48am I suspect its more "Ewww, Palpatine fucking? Who wants that?"
I always assumed that an Emperor would have concubines or something, in the Chinese tradition, where it is said there are 3,000 pretty girls in the back of the palace.