The Mandalorian Discussion Thread (spoilers and such)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

chimericoncogene
Padawan Learner

Re: The Mandalorian Discussion Thread (spoilers and such)

Post by chimericoncogene »

Galvatron wrote: 2021-01-24 02:08am I agree, but the hangar between the mandibles simply doesn't square with what was shown in the Rebels cartoon.

That is, unless a Sentinel-class shuttle is significantly larger than the Lambda that landed inside Gideon's cruiser.
Yeah, but going by that Rebels depiction, a Sentinel has a 100-meter wingspan and the main cargo bay is ~25 meters wide - big enough to fit an A6 Juggernaut.

The Arqueitans is 300 meters long and a hundred meters wide.

Rebels is the one with the scale ludicrously wrong.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Gina Carano is fired.
Gina Carano Is No Longer a Part of Star Wars

Germain Lussier

Gina Carano, who plays Cara Dune on The Mandalorian, will no longer be on the show.

In a statement obtained by io9, a Lucasfilm spokesperson said the following: “Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future. Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

The news comes after a day in which the hashtag #FireGinaCarano trended on Twitter for hours. The night before, the actress shared an anti-Semitic story on her Instagram. It was soon deleted but many fans captured it and shared it on social media.

That, of course, came after months of complaints about Carano’s online presence, including mocking covid mask mandates, spreading conspiracies about the United States election, liking posts disparaging the Black Lives Matter movement, and deriding pronoun usage.

Carano’s character, Cara Dune, was one of the main characters on the award-winning Disney+ show. And it was assumed, though never confirmed, that she might play a role in the upcoming Star Wars: Rangers of the New Republic show. That, apparently, is not happening anymore. Even if it was.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise that she kept skating on the thin ice, as if she was daring Lucasfilm to shitcan her.

And now the usual right-wing grifters will storm social media and once again to betray their misunderstanding of the First Amendment.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Or maybe she didn't fear being fired because she already knew that her role on The Mandalorian was over. That her character was never planned to appear in season 3.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Free speech has consequences.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

bilateralrope wrote: 2021-02-11 12:57am Or maybe she didn't fear being fired because she already knew that her role on The Mandalorian was over. That her character was never planned to appear in season 3.
News here is reporting that Disney had plans to put her into a spinoff of her own.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-02-11 03:03pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2021-02-11 12:57am Or maybe she didn't fear being fired because she already knew that her role on The Mandalorian was over. That her character was never planned to appear in season 3.
News here is reporting that Disney had plans to put her into a spinoff of her own.
There were a lot of rumors to that effect. Not gonna happen now, her mouth got her fired.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-02-11 03:05pmThere were a lot of rumors to that effect. Not gonna happen now, her mouth got her fired.
It looks like a gamble of "They'll never fire me!"

Own the libs by getting fired from an award winning show I guess.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-02-11 03:03pm
I haven't seen anything saying that beyond speculation based on the name of the new show.

Still, it's clear that if Disney were even thinking about casting her at any point, they aren't anymore.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Sure, no legal document out there shows she signed a contract for a new show. That said, it was pretty obvious they were building her up for the Republic Rangers bit they have in development. It is a shame, I liked the character. I wonder if they will recast? There is a fan movement out there, or at least the beginnings of one, to get Lucy Lawless.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

So Operation Cinder gets name dropped (alongside Grand Admiral Thrawn) and we get more insight into how the New Republic, despite winning the wider galaxy, was still in a comparatively weak military state decades later against the First Order and Sith Eternal from their redoubts in the Unknown Territories - I got the impression Operation Cinder (in my head canon) was Darth Sidious attempting to not only spite the galaxy but to also recruit the die hard fanatics loyal to him for a possible new Empire .

But amid galactic scale anarchy with many Rebel factions advancing fast, unruly civilians rising up enmasse, Imperial troops mutinying enmasse, and Imperial warlords like Gideon carving out their fiefdoms (in my head canon), Palpatine's scorched earth plans did not go smoothly.

Some core worlds got BDZed, industries wrecked, much of the Old Republic bureaucracy/infrastructure got ripped out when the Galactic Empire imploded and exploded, and the galactic economy may have been ruined for a century.

It ended up in a the New Republic that was a popular government and nation crippled by a small military, while the First Order was a still relatively massive military without a legitimate government and nation, with the Sith Eternal being the true Sith Empire reborn....
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Big Orange wrote: 2021-02-24 04:49pm So Operation Cinder gets name dropped (alongside Grand Admiral Thrawn) and we get more insight into how the New Republic, despite winning the wider galaxy, was still in a comparatively weak military state decades later against the First Order and Sith Eternal from their redoubts in the Unknown Territories - I got the impression Operation Cinder (in my head canon) was Darth Sidious attempting to not only spite the galaxy but to also recruit the die hard fanatics loyal to him for a possible new Empire .

But amid galactic scale anarchy with many Rebel factions advancing fast, unruly civilians rising up enmasse, Imperial troops mutinying enmasse, and Imperial warlords like Gideon carving out their fiefdoms (in my head canon), Palpatine's scorched earth plans did not go smoothly.

Some core worlds got BDZed, industries wrecked, much of the Old Republic bureaucracy/infrastructure got ripped out when the Galactic Empire imploded and exploded, and the galactic economy may have been ruined for a century.

It ended up in a the New Republic that was a popular government and nation crippled by a small military, while the First Order was a still relatively massive military without a legitimate government and nation, with the Sith Eternal being the true Sith Empire reborn....
Everything but the bolded part is basically how I see it. The bolded part still doesn't fit into the rest.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

The new article states Carano posted an anti-Semitic story on Instagram, which I think is referring to this:
"Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors… even by children,” the post began.

“Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?"
https://thebrag.com/people-pissed-at-gina-carano/

I can see how it's extremely risky for a public figure to make such a politically-charged post, but is that actually anti-Semitic?
Looks more like anti-whatever the opposite political view from hers is.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
chimericoncogene
Padawan Learner

Post by chimericoncogene »

It's a bit insensitive, and rather risky, but probably not anti-Semitic.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I believe it was a several of her posts, considered together, that got her fired.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Cykeisme wrote: 2021-03-03 04:54am The new article states Carano posted an anti-Semitic story on Instagram, which I think is referring to this:
"Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors… even by children,” the post began.

“Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?"
https://thebrag.com/people-pissed-at-gina-carano/

I can see how it's extremely risky for a public figure to make such a politically-charged post, but is that actually anti-Semitic?
Looks more like anti-whatever the opposite political view from hers is.
The difference is that you can change your political views. You can not change your ethnicity or race.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Carano tried to equate "cancel CONSEQUENCE culture" with "ethnic cleansing". She can fuck right off. Her rights end when they tread on mine.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Khaat wrote: 2021-03-03 07:34pm Carano tried to equate "cancel CONSEQUENCE culture" with "ethnic cleansing". She can fuck right off. Her rights end when they tread on mine.
Agreed.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I'm glad someone finally made a video about this:

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I guess if the stormtroopers killed someone on screen, it might affect their weird rehabilitation and then they might move less merch?

- George Carlin
Vance
Youngling

Post by Vance »

Sorry if this has been discussed/should be obvious, but how does the stormtrooper armour being shattered by blunt forces like in this show relate to the effectiveness of the armour against bullets?

Does it show us now conclusively that the armour would not present significant protection against more conventional firearms/"slugthrowers"?

And what about a shockwave in an explosion?

Some examples appear to show stormtroopers surviving explosions, like that blast in the Rebels short. Does this jive with the melee stuff we've been seeing?
BlasTech.info
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I think part of the issue is that the armour was shattered by a pathetic amount of blunt force as the blow wasn't delivered by a superhumanly strong entity. And while stortrooper armour is likely not optimized to protect against blunt force the fact that it shattered at all when medieval real world armour would've survived it just fine (the wearer might not but I doubt the armour would've even been dented) and Star Wars is supposed to be the tiniest bit more advanced than that
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Vance wrote: 2021-03-11 07:50pm Sorry if this has been discussed/should be obvious, but how does the stormtrooper armour being shattered by blunt forces like in this show relate to the effectiveness of the armour against bullets?

Does it show us now conclusively that the armour would not present significant protection against more conventional firearms/"slugthrowers"?

And what about a shockwave in an explosion?

Some examples appear to show stormtroopers surviving explosions, like that blast in the Rebels short. Does this jive with the melee stuff we've been seeing?
Short answer, yes. If your armor can be shattered by a melee weapon wielded by a human strength opponent, your armor will do jack shit against any kind of projectile intended to kill.
As to over pressure, that's highly situational. Pressure is more about intensity than anything else so in theory very hard but brittle armor could offer protection against explosions as pressure doesn't want to go through things. That said, it would silly to make armor that is very resistant to explosions but wouldn't function at all against shrapnel.
Btw. Long answer to your bullet question is long because then we get into, energy of the impact, momentum, hardness and other things that affect penetration.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

I've been doing a little more light reading on stormtroopers, and I learned something quite surprising. In the Fantasy Flight RPG game, the stormtrooper stat line is the same as that of clone troopers. Clearly they're being treated as capable soldiers, but still minions for all that.

On that basis, if nothing else, I'd be inclined to say that stormtroopers are perfectly capable after all. Their problems can be explained by realism (real-life soldiers miss a lot more than you'd think), and plot armour in the vast majority of cases.

If anything, the famous and much-cited corridor scene in ANH marks the Rebels as the mole-eyed incompetents. There were something like ten rebel troopers in that corridor, and maybe three or four managed to duck into the side door or retreat round the corner. The best I can suggest is that the smoke and blast from the door being blown open (which forced the rebels to look away) may have messed with their vision. It would also explain why the stormtroopers didn't throw a flashbang in; the door explosion did it for them.

That said, the Mandalorian does offer a couple of explanations for incompetent stormtroopers, both of which the video ignores AFAIK. During that scene with the two scout troopers, when one of the scouts shakes his blaster, it audibly rattles. Tvtropes had this to say;
It's also worth noting that one of the troopers shakes his pistol and it makes a rattling sound. As anybody who has dealt with precision weaponry can attest, loose parts inside a weapon is a sign that something is seriously wrong with it. This is also the explanation Star Wars Rebels used; Clone Trooper Rex complained that his marksmanship went in the toilet when wearing a shoddy Stormtrooper helmet.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... hipAcademy

The other one is much broader, and I got it from doing some reading on the Chinese Warlord period. Seriously, I can't help but think that this must have influenced Star Wars - at least via the early EU writers - because so many of the negative tropes associated with the Empire apply to the warlord armies. Chinese warlord armies were on the whole terrible; made up of whatever unfortunates could be lured or dragged from their homes, shoved into a uniform (if available), handed a rifle (if available) and herded into line. The warlords themselves were every bit as colourful, extreme, and in some cases downright psychotic as their Legends counterparts.

So in this case, Gideon's troopers are lousy because he needs numbers more than he needs quality. His troopers are whoever he could bribe, con, or force into his service; maybe given some brief flash training if only to make them obedient. Factor in shoddy equipment, and one should not expect too much of them.

As for the armour, the best I can suggest is that it's optimised for dealing with energy weapons - maybe some kind of heat-resistant ceramic - on the assumption that the primary threat they have to deal with is blasters; with countermeasures against other threats left out to cut costs. In short, stormtrooper armour is cheap and nasty.
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

Juubi Karakuchi wrote: 2021-03-12 11:01am As for the armour, the best I can suggest is that it's optimised for dealing with energy weapons - maybe some kind of heat-resistant ceramic - on the assumption that the primary threat they have to deal with is blasters; with countermeasures against other threats left out to cut costs. In short, stormtrooper armour is cheap and nasty.
Which would be fine if there was any notable incidents of stormtrooper armor actually doing this. The stupidity is made worse by the fact that we know armor that does protect against blasters do exist in the SW universe, as shown by the original armor worn by Djarin and other mandalorians. Even with that, we know blaster bolts have a thermal and a mechanical effect which would require the armor to able to withstand kinetic impacts, at least to the extent that basic melee weapons wouldn't be able to damage the armor to any meaningful extent.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives