Rise of Skywalker news.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Rise of Skywalker news.

Post by Galvatron »

Hell, maybe it'll be revealed that Vader's "redemption" was only partial or even feigned. That would certainly explain the strangely ominous and creepy Clockwork Orange stare that his Force ghost had at the end of ROTJ.

Maybe Anakin is as much a bad apple in death as he was in life and he's been negatively influencing his highly impressionable grandson this whole time. Let's not forget: he expressed a predilection for authoritarianism long before he fell to the dark side...
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Well, that's definitely a VCX-100 behind the Falcon at 1:00. I wonder if they're going to explicitly bring in the Ghost or if it'll be a cameo like in Rogue One.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Trailer looks great. Can't believe I was thinking for a while there'd be no big-ass fleets.

Still, my primary concern is Rey and Ben's story, so I'm glad the trailer puts them front and center.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

They just better not have any Reylo crap in there. Also, wow, they actually deigned to give Rose .5 seconds of footage this time! I hope that doesn't piss off the Alt. Reich audience too much. :wanker:

Visuals look utterly gorgeous, at least.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I think some version of Reylo is inevitable. It doesn't mean they'll end up together though.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Wonder if the theme is 'old fighting new'?

Can't make out much in that fleet past the MF, Ghost, Neb B, Hammer Head Corvette, and I think what every Hammer Head was with the Raddus in TLJ. Mostly really old ships versus I suppose ISD's.

I got to admit, unlike any other Star Wars movie for 40 years, I'm not really excited for this one. I'll go see it, try to have an open mind, but I'm not excited about it. TLJ pretty much crushed my Star Wars excitement, and I don't have a lot of faith in JJ in ending stories.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-10-22 07:58am They just better not have any Reylo crap in there. Also, wow, they actually deigned to give Rose .5 seconds of footage this time! I hope that doesn't piss off the Alt. Reich audience too much. :wanker:

Rose was removed from the some of the mech
https://youtu.be/K7YYvcslWrc
Bullets always have the right of away
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Well. I'm pretty certain that was Palpatine, or some apparition/fake of him that Rey's confronting in one scene. Heavily cowled figure in throne? Yeah.

Also couldn't make it out, but did Rey and Kylo destroy a bust of Vader in a remarkably clean room?

I predict more Force-vision shenanigans.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I expect it'll be some meat puppet that he's controlling and that Snoke was one of them.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Galvatron wrote: 2019-10-22 02:48pm I expect it'll be some meat puppet that he's controlling and that Snoke was one of them.

Agreed. Though some speculation that Snoke was Plaguis is around. Snoke may have been a failed clone or what ever they've cooked up for Sidious to be in Ep IV.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Galvatron wrote: 2019-10-22 11:48am I think some version of Reylo is inevitable. It doesn't mean they'll end up together though.
They damned well better not. I REALLY don't want to give my money to yet another movie telling girls that "Abusive bad boys are sexy, when he hurts you its because he loves you, and if you keep giving him second chances eventually you can save him with True Wuv." There are enough domestic abuse victims as it is.

If there is one thing, ONE FUCKING THING from TLJ that they don't retcon, it should be Rey turning her back on Kylo and walking away.
PhoenixKnig wrote: 2019-10-22 12:09pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-10-22 07:58am They just better not have any Reylo crap in there. Also, wow, they actually deigned to give Rose .5 seconds of footage this time! I hope that doesn't piss off the Alt. Reich audience too much. :wanker:

Rose was removed from the some of the mech
https://youtu.be/K7YYvcslWrc
Its absolutely shameful. Its increasingly clear that they've deliberately, systematically tried to make the first major Asian actor in a Star Wars film invisible, and the only explicable reason to do so is to try to placate the backlash against Rose, which was driven by the same Alt. Reich scum who harassed Kelly Tran off Twitter.

Honestly, I would be inclined to boycott Rise of Skywalker for this, if not for the fact that a) I'm aware that the filmmakers generally have little control over the marketing, and I don't want to judge the film on the shit the suits in marketing pulled, and b) it wouldn't make much sense to boycott Kelly Tran's film to protest Disney's treatment of Kelly Tran.

This is still one of the shittier decisions Disney has made in recent years.

I'm terribly afraid that they're going to fridge her to "get her out of the way" for a Rey/Finn ship, or worse, a Finn/new black woman character ship (because they ought to stick with their own kind, don't you know?).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-10-22 03:57pm
Galvatron wrote: 2019-10-22 11:48am I think some version of Reylo is inevitable. It doesn't mean they'll end up together though.
They damned well better not. I REALLY don't want to give my money to yet another movie telling girls that "Abusive bad boys are sexy, when he hurts you its because he loves you, and if you keep giving him second chances eventually you can save him with True Wuv." There are enough domestic abuse victims as it is.

If there is one thing, ONE FUCKING THING from TLJ that they don't retcon, it should be Rey turning her back on Kylo and walking away.
Disney knows there's money in it though...

At least more money than there was in Rose merch.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'm hoping that shit like this is just cynical misleading advertising by the marketing department, rather than an accurate reflection of the film's content, yeah.

And I think when I get my next paycheque, I'll go out and try and buy some Rose merch, if there's any left to buy.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Enough with alt right crap with Rose. It might very well just be the Rose character was horrible and boring and not worth it. Yeah what the creeps did to the actress was horrible. But the character wasn't that great and I can totally see her getting sidelined due to it.

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Knife wrote: 2019-10-22 11:49am Wonder if the theme is 'old fighting new'?

Can't make out much in that fleet past the MF, Ghost, Neb B, Hammer Head Corvette, and I think what every Hammer Head was with the Raddus in TLJ. Mostly really old ships versus I suppose ISD's.

I got to admit, unlike any other Star Wars movie for 40 years, I'm not really excited for this one. I'll go see it, try to have an open mind, but I'm not excited about it. TLJ pretty much crushed my Star Wars excitement, and I don't have a lot of faith in JJ in ending stories.
This series of tweets points out a lot of never before seen ship designs:

https://twitter.com/AdmiralNick22/statu ... 93600?s=20
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-10-22 03:57pm If there is one thing, ONE FUCKING THING from TLJ that they don't retcon, it should be Rey turning her back on Kylo and walking away.
Yeah, except it's a trilogy. Like, if you seriously thought Episode "no one's ever really gone" VIII landed on "Han and Leia's son and Luke's student is a monster who's going to die" and so Episode IX was not going to climax with Ben's return to the light (and probable death) after fighting alongside Rey, I don't know what to tell you.

I doubt they'll go for anything like smooches or anything, but Ben and Rey's relationship is the core of the story, and the story isn't over. There's no 'retcon' going on there at all.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I can live with Kylo being redeemed. It should not be by his love for Rey/Rey's love for him, because that sends an awful message to both domestic abuse victims and their abusers.

If that is the only "logical" way for the trilogy to end, then the construction of the trilogy is fundamentally and irredeemably flawed.
Knife wrote: 2019-10-22 10:25pm Enough with alt right crap with Rose.
I'm not going to let it go until the Right lets it go that women and minorities are allowed to exist in the same world as them. Which probably won't be in your or my lifetime. And with all due respect, I'm not terribly sorry if my talking about it makes you uncomfortable or annoyed, because your irritation is a vastly-lesser concern to me than the orchestrated media campaign to keep women and minorities marginalized and underfoot.

Its not as though you have any reason to take offense to my criticism of the racists and misogynists and those who pander to them, if you do not share their views.
It might very well just be the Rose character was horrible and boring and not worth it. Yeah what the creeps did to the actress was horrible. But the character wasn't that great and I can totally see her getting sidelined due to it.
Was the character actually objectively bad?* Or even particularly unpopular? Or does everyone just "know" that she was a bad character because its endlessly repeated, because a small, vocal group of bashers are good at dominating the conversation?

Either way, the most prominent and vocal hostility toward her and the actor was driven by racism and misogyny, and so Disney marginalizing her comes off as a sop to the bigots, and it does send a very bad message.

*Personally, while Rose is not one of my very favorites, like Luke, Lando, Yoda, or Ahsoka, I thought that she was a fairly well-written character who's actions were plausible given her circumstances, who gave us a perspective (that of the ordinary Rebel/Resistance soldier) that we hadn't really seen before in a main cast member, and who brought out an aspect of Finn's character we hadn't previously seen (his interactions with Rose help him to see the galaxy from her point of view, and motivate his decision to embrace the Resistance cause, not merely because his afraid of the First Order or because his friends are fighting in it, but because he believes the cause itself is worthwhile). In addition to, of course, being a first for diversity in casting.

Of course, all this was lost in "They freed the animals stupid hippies hur dur" and "She's the new Jar-Jar".

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-10-22 10:41pmWas the character actually objectively bad?* Or even particularly unpopular? Or does everyone just "know" that she was a bad character because its endlessly repeated, because a small, vocal group of bashers are good at dominating the conversation?
If she was actually popular, you'd think her merch would actually sell and this sort of embarrassing nonsense wouldn't have backfired.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Galvatron wrote: 2019-10-22 11:00pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-10-22 10:41pmWas the character actually objectively bad?* Or even particularly unpopular? Or does everyone just "know" that she was a bad character because its endlessly repeated, because a small, vocal group of bashers are good at dominating the conversation?
If she was actually popular, you'd think her merch would actually sell and this sort of embarrassing nonsense wouldn't have backfired.

To be clear, I think that her popularity has suffered because of a concerted effort to smear the film and everyone involved with it, driven in part by racism and misogyny, with other people just jumping on the bandwagon and assuming that since they constantly hear how Rose sucks and everyone hates her, there must be a reason for it.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

It should be noted as well that Rose does have her own devoted fanbase, as discussed here (though I can't find any numbers on what percentage of fans overall have a positive view of her):

https://vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/1 ... marie-tran

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Yeah, it comes across as you using that shit as a shield against actual valid criticism. Sure, it's art, it's subjective. But the character was flat, the character arc was both dumb and went now where. I didn't feel much in the way of chemistry with the actors. It felt forced (because it was) and was just there to get Finn out of the way so Poe could be deconstructed and Rey could do Rey stuff.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Knife wrote: 2019-10-23 12:54am Yeah, it comes across as you using that shit as a shield against actual valid criticism. Sure, it's art, it's subjective. But the character was flat, the character arc was both dumb and went now where. I didn't feel much in the way of chemistry with the actors. It felt forced (because it was) and was just there to get Finn out of the way so Poe could be deconstructed and Rey could do Rey stuff.
I actually just laid out why I felt the character was well-written, and you addressed none of those points other than with vague generalities like "the character was flat" and "the character arc was dumb", and assertions that Rose only existed to "get Finn out of the way", which ignores the actual role she played in furthering his character development. The only one trying to dodge valid criticism, the only one being dishonest here is you, by attacking my motives and integrity rather than addressing my points and then hypocritically accusing me of avoiding valid criticism.

If you just don't like the character, fine. That's your right. Where it becomes a problem is when you a) insist that your dislike of the character is objectively correct, and b) dismiss valid concerns about racism and misogyny in the media as a way to smear me rather than addressing what I actually said (or perhaps because you don't want to admit that discussions of racism and sexism make you feel threatened).

Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Wait..did I see space horse riding on a star destroyer or is my hangover playing me a trick?
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I'll be very sad if they kill off C-3P0, which seems to be how they're framing him saying goodbye in the trailer. Though I wonder, aside from Anthony Daniels getting old, why they would get rid of him, as he's had all of about 5 minutes in the previous two films, and hasn't really had a significant role in the sequel trilogy aside from a small infodump in one scene in each film.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

I ought to watch the trailer a second time, as it was quite late the first time. But the horses thing was odd to me. There were animals used for riding in the original trilogy, but they were never front and center, super dramatic. It looked like Game of Thrones.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.