Rise of Skywalker news.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Rise of Skywalker news.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I expect we'll get a lot of announcements and rumors over the next few months, so here goes.

To start with, they've just revealed a new storm trooper variant called a "Sith trooper". They're apparently a new First Order trooper, wearing storm trooper style armor in red:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W52mBo8zG6g

So, I guess they're dropping all pretense of Kylo not being a Sith, eh? Got to reassure the fanboys that the franchise will never dare try to do anything really original again. I have a sinking feeling that this movie will be basically a two-hour retcon of/apology for The Last Jedi, meant to reassure old OT fans that the franchise will never dare try to grow beyond them and their demands again. :roll:
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Rise of Skywalker news.

Post by Galvatron »

Could it be that it has more to do with Palpatine than Kylo?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Galvatron wrote: 2019-07-11 10:58am Could it be that it has more to do with Palpatine than Kylo?
I thought of that, and it would be the better alternative, I think, but they describe it in the video as a variety of First Order storm trooper, I believe.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Another way to look at it:

Kylo was ALWAYS Sith, due to his reverence of Darth Vader. He might even have access to a Holocron (possibly one of Palpatine's), to become a legitimate Sith.

So he goes 'fuck this Knights of Ren shit, I AM A SITH LORD, LIKE MY GRANDFATHER BEFORE ME'

He then informs the First Order, they're now the new Sith Empire, and instead of being Stormtroopers, they are Sith troopers.

His saying 'no jedi, no sith' to Rey, was a LIE.

Alternate #2
It's not uncommon for Star Wars to use false names during production.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Solauren wrote: 2019-07-11 11:56am Another way to look at it:

Kylo was ALWAYS Sith, due to his reverence of Darth Vader. He might even have access to a Holocron (possibly one of Palpatine's), to become a legitimate Sith.

So he goes 'fuck this Knights of Ren shit, I AM A SITH LORD, LIKE MY GRANDFATHER BEFORE ME'
Directly contradicts his dialogue to Rey in the throne room, but I suppose you can subscribe that to Kylo lying.
He then informs the First Order, they're now the new Sith Empire, and instead of being Stormtroopers, they are Sith troopers.

His saying 'no jedi, no sith' to Rey, was a LIE.

Alternate #2
It's not uncommon for Star Wars to use false names during production.
Yeah, or that. And Abrams in particular is known for deliberately putting out bullshit about his movies to hide any actual spoilers, IIRC.

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

The good old video game shader trick. It doesn’t appear they have even modified the armor in any obvious way.

Something tells me they will be even more lame tan those budget TLJ royal guard rip offs swirling around like monkeys in ballarina outfits who were all dead after two minutes of screen time.

Probably less lame than Phasma though.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Patroklos wrote: 2019-07-12 05:45pm The good old video game shader trick. It doesn’t appear they have even modified the armor in any obvious way.
Er- what? They're entirely new armor molds from top to bottom. It's super-obvious.

Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Given Disney's record of third party licensing, this means nothing.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Solauren wrote: 2019-07-13 12:02pm Given Disney's record of third party licensing, this means nothing.
I don't know what that means? They're going to be in the film is all we know at this point.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Vympel wrote: 2019-07-13 09:00pm
Solauren wrote: 2019-07-13 12:02pm Given Disney's record of third party licensing, this means nothing.
I don't know what that means? They're going to be in the film is all we know at this point.
Third Parties that are legally allowed to make whatever they want under licence, but that Disney and LucasArts doesn't have to give two shits about provided it doesn't violate said licence.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I think what he means is just because the 'toy' is noticeably different from a FO StormTrooper painted red doesn't necessarily mean the real thing will be
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Batman wrote: 2019-07-14 12:12am I think what he means is just because the 'toy' is noticeably different from a FO StormTrooper painted red doesn't necessarily mean the real thing will be
Do Disney's high end collectable licensed figures often have that level of derivation?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Solauren wrote: 2019-07-13 09:45pm Third Parties that are legally allowed to make whatever they want under licence, but that Disney and LucasArts doesn't have to give two shits about provided it doesn't violate said licence.
Hot Toys make very expensive replicas - chiefly from films - for collectors. Theyr'e always ridiculously accurate to the relevant licence - that's the point of their existence.
Gandalf wrote: 2019-07-14 07:06am Do Disney's high end collectable licensed figures often have that level of derivation?
No, they don't*. And besides, this is clearly an Episode 9 marketing push reveal. It's not "look at this thing a licensee pulled out of their ass".
Batman wrote: 2019-07-14 12:12am I think what he means is just because the 'toy' is noticeably different from a FO StormTrooper painted red doesn't necessarily mean the real thing will be
See above. Besides, not even the basic Hasbro 'Sith Trooper' action figures revealed are an FO Stormtrooper painted red either.

*They do some 'special edition' versions of previous releases - stuff like say, a China-themed Stormtrooper, but that's literally just a repaint, using an existing mold.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

I wonder how they expect a guy to see with this helmet? Look at where the eye's should be, it's like those cheek pieces are jabbing into his eye's. That must be fun.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

JI_Joe84 wrote: 2019-07-21 06:45pm I wonder how they expect a guy to see with this helmet? Look at where the eye's should be, it's like those cheek pieces are jabbing into his eye's. That must be fun.
In helmet HUD?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Remember, 'I can't see a thing in this helmet' :P
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Batman wrote: 2019-07-22 02:25pm Remember, 'I can't see a thing in this helmet' :P
The helmets -are- legit hard to see out of; the eye-holes are proportionally a tad too high, and the clear material over the eye-holes has a heavy green tint to it. That was part of the reason why they redesigned the First Order helmets for TFA, they moved the eye-holes down a bit to make it easier for extras to see and move around safely.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Batman wrote: 2019-07-22 02:25pm Remember, 'I can't see a thing in this helmet' :P
Wouldn't it be funny if there's a button you press with your nose to switch on the in-helmet HUD, but Luke and Han didn't know about it? :twisted: :roll: :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Well an 'out-of helmet' HUD would be moderately pointless don't you think?
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

It's like something Kramer and Newman would devise.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Fuck a duck, that was a lot of Star Destroyers in one shot.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

And they're all ISD-1's for some reason.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Maybe it's what's left of the Republic/Imperial Fleet that was mothballed and have been reactivated after the events of TFA.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Or they're just lazily reusing the 3D model from Rogue One. :P