Ahsoka Tano vs Rey (Skywalker?)- what makes a "Mary Sue"?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Re: Ahsoka Tano vs Rey (Skywalker?)- what makes a "Mary Sue"?

Post by Civil War Man »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-05-31 03:45am
KraytKing wrote: 2019-05-30 11:23pmI agree with everything else you said, but this is why I went off on a tangent about Clone Wars. You're using young Anakin as a supporting example here, but that shot Anakin made should be criticized as roundly as anything Rey does. You can't lean on this. We shouldn't be using Anakin and Ahsoka as baselines, they were bad.
Why does there need to be a baseline at all? Evidently the Force moves people and things at its own will. Some people get a bit more Force attention than others. It was the will of the Force that Anakin did what he did, and that Rey did what she did.
I think a lot of it comes down to the dialogue between Luke and Obi-Wan during their initial training session.
Obi-Wan: Remember, a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him.
Luke: You mean it controls your actions?
Obi-Wan: Partially, but it also obeys your commands.
Which implies that there is an active and passive component to the Force, and that the active part, getting it to obey your commands, requires some level of skill and training in order to know how to give it commands.

That said, the Force is vaguely defined enough that you could argue that it could make people do what Rey was able to do if it wanted to. There are moments in the movies where to me it felt a bit like Rey was not completely in control of the situation, and that some of her feats with the Force were done without her necessarily knowing how she was doing it, which is why I'm less down on some of those feats than others are. I don't think that was necessarily the intent, and it doesn't come across that way consistently, but I think something like that could have made for an interesting character arc, and less of a retread of the "neophyte discovers Force and then learns more to become more powerful" standard that we got with the Skywalkers. Make it so she's forced to grow and learn more in order to gain some control over what she's doing, and her biggest risk of falling to the Dark Side being a fear that these semi-conscious uncontrolled bursts of Force usage could result in her hurting herself or people she cares about.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-05-31 03:45am
KraytKing wrote: 2019-05-30 11:23pmI agree with everything else you said, but this is why I went off on a tangent about Clone Wars. You're using young Anakin as a supporting example here, but that shot Anakin made should be criticized as roundly as anything Rey does. You can't lean on this. We shouldn't be using Anakin and Ahsoka as baselines, they were bad.
Why does there need to be a baseline at all? Evidently the Force moves people and things at its own will. Some people get a bit more Force attention than others. It was the will of the Force that Anakin did what he did, and that Rey did what she did.
You're judging what "the will of the Force" is capable of based off of those two. The Force is able to make Anakin make an impossible shot to solve what is in effect a minor political dispute. The Force is also able to will Rey into whatever ridiculousness she did, like outshooting stormtroopers her first time holding a blaster. If the will of the Force is that strong why bother having characters. The Force can just doing everything for them. Luke made an impossible shot, but he had to use the Force, not just accidentally tap into it.

It just widens the meaning of "will of the Force" to be anything, and that's lazy writing.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

'Outshooting a stormtrooper' is hardly an achievement :P
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

KraytKing wrote: 2019-05-31 12:11pmThe Force is able to make Anakin make an impossible shot to solve what is in effect a minor political dispute.
I'd dispute that his shot was actually impossible. It looks like something a non-force user of sufficient bravery and skill could have made if they'd ended up in the same position. The force simple ensured that all of the factors lined up so the shot did happen.

Something being unlikely to happen doesn't mean its impossible. History has shown that countless times with daring military actions that would sound like fiction if we didn't know they actually happened.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Well getting into the same position may very well 'have' made that shot impossible for a non-Force user, though it might just as well have been Anakin got lucky. Remember while Luke 'used' the Force to make the killing shot on the first Death Star, the fact that the attack plan was thought up to begin with means it was not considered to be an impossible shot for an ordinary pilot-just one very hard to achieve. Nothing in TPM says the situation was any different.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Ahsoka started out as a Mary Sue at first. I didn't like her. She eventually evolved out of it as the show progressed and became more likable. Either that, or investment in the show eventually overcame her dislikeability.

Ahsoka also SURVIVED a fight, which is a high archivement but not quite the same as winning a fight or fighting to a standstill. Having a run-in with Vader and living because circumstance allowed me to escape doesn't mean I'm as powerful as Vader.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Zixinus wrote: 2019-06-01 03:21am Ahsoka started out as a Mary Sue at first. I didn't like her. She eventually evolved out of it as the show progressed and became more likable. Either that, or investment in the show eventually overcame her dislikeability.

Ahsoka also SURVIVED a fight, which is a high archivement but not quite the same as winning a fight or fighting to a standstill. Having a run-in with Vader and living because circumstance allowed me to escape doesn't mean I'm as powerful as Vader.
We should also remember that Ahsoka was Anakin's Pawadan before she left the order and thus Vader might have been holding back without even realizing it. The "good side" still left in Vader not wanting to see another loved one die by his own hand.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Civil War Man wrote: 2019-05-31 09:12amI think a lot of it comes down to the dialogue between Luke and Obi-Wan during their initial training session.
Obi-Wan: Remember, a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him.
Luke: You mean it controls your actions?
Obi-Wan: Partially, but it also obeys your commands.
Which implies that there is an active and passive component to the Force, and that the active part, getting it to obey your commands, requires some level of skill and training in order to know how to give it commands.

That said, the Force is vaguely defined enough that you could argue that it could make people do what Rey was able to do if it wanted to. There are moments in the movies where to me it felt a bit like Rey was not completely in control of the situation, and that some of her feats with the Force were done without her necessarily knowing how she was doing it, which is why I'm less down on some of those feats than others are. I don't think that was necessarily the intent, and it doesn't come across that way consistently, but I think something like that could have made for an interesting character arc, and less of a retread of the "neophyte discovers Force and then learns more to become more powerful" standard that we got with the Skywalkers. Make it so she's forced to grow and learn more in order to gain some control over what she's doing, and her biggest risk of falling to the Dark Side being a fear that these semi-conscious uncontrolled bursts of Force usage could result in her hurting herself or people she cares about.
I don't see why Rey couldn't have been using the Force unconsciously for a lot of her life. Being on a crappy scavenger world would require keen instincts to survive, especially considering her weapon of choice is a stick. Skill and training shouldn't be necessary to "command" the Force. It may make it easier, but basic practice should make it possible. The slave kid from the end of TLJ probably didn't have any training. The first Force users presumably didn't either.
KraytKing wrote: 2019-05-31 12:11pmYou're judging what "the will of the Force" is capable of based off of those two. The Force is able to make Anakin make an impossible shot to solve what is in effect a minor political dispute. The Force is also able to will Rey into whatever ridiculousness she did, like outshooting stormtroopers her first time holding a blaster. If the will of the Force is that strong why bother having characters. The Force can just doing everything for them. Luke made an impossible shot, but he had to use the Force, not just accidentally tap into it.

It just widens the meaning of "will of the Force" to be anything, and that's lazy writing.
A big theme in SW is surrender to the divine will, where it's what the Force heroes do and the Force villains do not. The Force guides the characters around for its own (indeterminate) ends. Having a deity driving the universe isn't lazy writing, considering that the stories focus how the characters act in the face of it. Luke lets go of his technology at Yavin, uses his (newly acquired) faith, and saves the day. Anakin foresaw Padme's death, tried to avert it, and failed quite miserably. The Jedi Council had a prophecy about Force Messiah, and followed it to their death. And so on.

Are you similarly annoyed by Anakin being a Force based Virgin Birth?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-06-01 11:02am
KraytKing wrote: 2019-05-31 12:11pmYou're judging what "the will of the Force" is capable of based off of those two. The Force is able to make Anakin make an impossible shot to solve what is in effect a minor political dispute. The Force is also able to will Rey into whatever ridiculousness she did, like outshooting stormtroopers her first time holding a blaster. If the will of the Force is that strong why bother having characters. The Force can just doing everything for them. Luke made an impossible shot, but he had to use the Force, not just accidentally tap into it.

A big theme in SW is surrender to the divine will, where it's what the Force heroes do and the Force villains do not. The Force guides the characters around for its own (indeterminate) ends. Having a deity driving the universe isn't lazy writing, considering that the stories focus how the characters act in the face of it. Luke lets go of his technology at Yavin, uses his (newly acquired) faith, and saves the day. Anakin foresaw Padme's death, tried to avert it, and failed quite miserably. The Jedi Council had a prophecy about Force Messiah, and followed it to their death. And so on.
Luke doesn't act as an instrument of divine will, he uses the Force. The Force is neutral, which is why it doesn't just cut itself off to those it doesn't like. There is no divine being, just an extra layer of energy most people can't access. Padme's death wasn't set in stone; the future never is, which is paraphrasing Yoda. It was just that Anakin's actions based on his vision were what was necessary to bring about what he saw. That wasn't him trying to avert the will of the Force and failing. And lastly, the whole "Chosen One" business is more prequel stupidity. Vader didn't turn because he was fated to do it. There is free will: "always in motion, the future is." You are still falling back on examples that run contrary to what Star Wars is.
Are you similarly annoyed by Anakin being a Force based Virgin Birth?
The fuck? You aren't? It's just fine with you that it turns out the reason Luke is a hero isn't because he decided to be, it was because he was the grandson of motherfucking GOD? That pisses me off beyond belief. That isn't what Star Wars is.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

KraytKing wrote: 2019-06-01 01:05pm Luke doesn't act as an instrument of divine will, he uses the Force. The Force is neutral, which is why it doesn't just cut itself off to those it doesn't like. There is no divine being, just an extra layer of energy most people can't access. Padme's death wasn't set in stone; the future never is, which is paraphrasing Yoda. It was just that Anakin's actions based on his vision were what was necessary to bring about what he saw. That wasn't him trying to avert the will of the Force and failing. And lastly, the whole "Chosen One" business is more prequel stupidity. Vader didn't turn because he was fated to do it. There is free will: "always in motion, the future is." You are still falling back on examples that run contrary to what Star Wars is.
Is the Force neutral?

Also, if the (canon) examples I chose are contrary to what you say Star Wars is, then perhaps your perception is wrong?
The fuck? You aren't? It's just fine with you that it turns out the reason Luke is a hero isn't because he decided to be, it was because he was the grandson of motherfucking GOD? That pisses me off beyond belief. That isn't what Star Wars is.
Luke isn't a hero because his father is Force Jesus. He's a hero because he chooses to follow the ways of said Force.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Lord Revan wrote: 2019-06-01 09:14am
Zixinus wrote: 2019-06-01 03:21am Ahsoka started out as a Mary Sue at first. I didn't like her. She eventually evolved out of it as the show progressed and became more likable. Either that, or investment in the show eventually overcame her dislikeability.

We should also remember that Ahsoka was Anakin's Pawadan before she left the order and thus Vader might have been holding back without even realizing it. The "good side" still left in Vader not wanting to see another loved one die by his own hand.
I was actually referencing her other encounters, not Vader. By the point she meets the real Vader, Ahsoka is a fully-realized and battle-hardened Jedi. I was referring to her much earlier encounters with people like Grievous, Dooku and so on.

Even then, compared to Rey, Ahsoka was properly trained, very talented (one of the reasons they sent her to Anakin, IIRC) and was actively fighting a war with lightsabres. It is no surprise that she was skilled enough to survive those encounters and grow. Whereas, Rey shows proficiency for a weapon dissimilar to her staff first time around. Yes, learning how to survive on your own is a big motivator and teacher but it can only get you so far.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

If you google Ahsoka Tano Mary Sue you get plenty of results. People do think she's a mary sue, it's just not as vocal because not as many people know about her.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-06-01 11:02amI don't see why Rey couldn't have been using the Force unconsciously for a lot of her life. Being on a crappy scavenger world would require keen instincts to survive, especially considering her weapon of choice is a stick. Skill and training shouldn't be necessary to "command" the Force. It may make it easier, but basic practice should make it possible. The slave kid from the end of TLJ probably didn't have any training. The first Force users presumably didn't either.
She probably was. However, she almost certainly was unconsciously using the Force in the same way that Luke and Anakin were, in the more passive sense. She is set up in a very similar way as them, though her outlook on the Force is actually more comparable to a less cynical version of Han. Luke starts out completely unaware of the Force as even a concept, while Anakin has at least heard about the Jedi, though he is unaware of his own Force sensitivity and he has a lot of misconceptions about the Jedi.

Rey falls somewhere in the middle, being aware of the Force as an idea, but initially not believing that it exists. So it's unlikely that she would have unconsciously used the Force for anything flashy like the slave kid telekinetically picking up the broom, since that would conflict with her thinking the Force and Jedi were a myth. We also never see her overtly use the Force during her intro, which further supports the idea of her tapping into the Force the same way that Luke and Anakin did, with it passively augmenting her already existing mundane skills.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yes. When one has as strong a natural connection to the Force as Rey evidently does, they are going to draw on it instinctively to some extent, but its going to show up more as just being naturally good at their mundane abilities, rather than more overt, conscious uses like Force pushes or mind tricks. Her abilities seem to run in the same vein as Anakin's and Luke's too (another reason to suspect they're related, or at least that Rey is another version of the Chosen One)- she's really good at mechanical stuff and piloting, first and foremost.

However, since a big part of using the Force for something is believing that you can (see Yoda and Luke in ESB), once Rey became aware of what was possible, her strong natural link combined with that awareness would allow her to rapidly pick up new abilities (just like Anakin). She is limited only by what she believes she can do.

The harder part is learning why to use the Force/how to use it responsibly. That's the may reason, to my mind, that Jedi required decades of training, not because it took that long to learn specific techniques. Rey doesn't have that, and that's the main thing Luke (in his own misguided way) was trying to teach her.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-06-04 05:24pm Yes. When one has as strong a natural connection to the Force as Rey evidently does, they are going to draw on it instinctively to some extent, but its going to show up more as just being naturally good at their mundane abilities, rather than more overt, conscious uses like Force pushes or mind tricks. Her abilities seem to run in the same vein as Anakin's and Luke's too (another reason to suspect they're related, or at least that Rey is another version of the Chosen One)- she's really good at mechanical stuff and piloting, first and foremost.

However, since a big part of using the Force for something is believing that you can (see Yoda and Luke in ESB), once Rey became aware of what was possible, her strong natural link combined with that awareness would allow her to rapidly pick up new abilities (just like Anakin). She is limited only by what she believes she can do.

The harder part is learning why to use the Force/how to use it responsibly. That's the may reason, to my mind, that Jedi required decades of training, not because it took that long to learn specific techniques. Rey doesn't have that, and that's the main thing Luke (in his own misguided way) was trying to teach her.
From a story-telling point of view, you want your characters to grow before they "unlock" more powers. Rey could have been an interesting character with a good hero's journey, she just doesn't work well within the context of Star Wars.

Because in the OT and the PT, a lot of what the whole Jedi philosophy is all about is learning to become more zen and be at peace with one-self. Jedi becomes more powerful the more enlightened they become. It's very, very Buddhist in terms of philosophy.

Rey is an very "western-style" action hero, and having her be such a good Jedi did go against the core philosophy established in the OT and PT. The whole issue about Jedi understanding the dark side is not "stronger" than the light, and being at peace and serene with oneself makes one a more powerful Jedi was the central theme.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

ray245 wrote: 2019-06-04 06:57pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-06-04 05:24pm Yes. When one has as strong a natural connection to the Force as Rey evidently does, they are going to draw on it instinctively to some extent, but its going to show up more as just being naturally good at their mundane abilities, rather than more overt, conscious uses like Force pushes or mind tricks. Her abilities seem to run in the same vein as Anakin's and Luke's too (another reason to suspect they're related, or at least that Rey is another version of the Chosen One)- she's really good at mechanical stuff and piloting, first and foremost.

From a story-telling point of view, you want your characters to grow before they "unlock" more powers. Rey could have been an interesting character with a good hero's journey, she just doesn't work well within the context of Star Wars.
Fuck the "hero's journey". The idea that the only measure of a good protagonist, even of a good Star Wars protagonist, is rigid adherence to the template laid out by Joseph Campbell* in the fucking '40s is absurd.
Because in the OT and the PT, a lot of what the whole Jedi philosophy is all about is learning to become more zen and be at peace with one-self. Jedi becomes more powerful the more enlightened they become. It's very, very Buddhist in terms of philosophy.
Which is something I'm fine with, and I actually think is reflected more in the ST (albeit more by implication than directly stated) than you give it credit for (more on that shortly).
Rey is an very "western-style" action hero, and having her be such a good Jedi did go against the core philosophy established in the OT and PT. The whole issue about Jedi understanding the dark side is not "stronger" than the light, and being at peace and serene with oneself makes one a more powerful Jedi was the central theme.
So essentially your complaint against Rey is that you feel she's too "Western"?

Maybe (though its a bit odd to complain about that when your standard of quality is apparently the very Western-originating template of the "Hero's Journey"), but I don't feel that Rey's depiction goes against what was previously established. It may feel that way because the execution was not as smooth as in the OT, but:

1. The idea of certain families/people being innately more connected to the Force goes back to the OT, and the idea of there being a "Chosen One" who is naturally gifted even without training goes back at least to Phantom Menace.

2. While Rey is powerful for a beginner, she is utterly outclassed by Snoke and Luke, and hasn't clearly demonstrated any abilities beyond what a typical PT-era knight or even a skilled Padawan could do. Nor is rapidly picking up abilities with minimal training entirely unprecedented (Anakin in Phantom Menace, again, and at least Rey didn't do it as a nine year old). Her power is exaggerated by bashers to justify their grievances, and by political partisans seeking to stoke feelings of misogynist resentment in insecure men.

3. Both Rey and Kylo actually do reflect the idea that Force ability is tied to one's mental/emotional state.

Rey is repeatedly held back by her fears and insecurities about her identity. She does not begin to really learn about the Force or use it on more than a very latent level (possibly) until she leaves Jakku. She runs from the Force and ends up getting easily captured by Kylo in TFA. And in TLJ, her insecurities pit her against Luke, allow her to be baited into a trap, and basically cause her to fail in every major goal she has. It is only after she accepts that she is "no one" and demonstrates that she is strong enough to accept that about herself and still not join Kylo that she starts to win. Seriously, watch TLJ again- Rey fails at every major thing she tries to do, often embarassingly so, until that conversation with Kylo in Snoke's throne room. After that, she succeeds at everything she tries to do. I'd say that's probably significant.

Kylo, meanwhile, is a mass of insecurities about is identity and background, and Snoke notes that it is holding him back. He tries to resolve that in TFA by murdering Han and embracing the Dark Side, but it doesn't really work. This probably partly explains his wildly-fluctuating abilities, and his loss to Rey in TFA, in my opinion. It also allows Luke to bait him with ease in their final confrontation. I would not say that this is bad writing, either, because Kylo is pretty clearly intended to be a pathetic character, not a "cool bad ass". He's a deconstruction of a Sith Lord, and a pretty good one.

If your point is simply that Rey's progression as a character is not clearly conveyed, then that's somewhat true. Her development is fairly thinly-sketched, and you have to read between the lines a bit, speculate a bit, to get the picture I'm describing. That is a fair point against the films' handling of her characterization. But I do think the outline is there, if you look for it.

I also don't see Ahsoka really having a conventional "hero's journey", at least not rigidly so, to bring it back to the original topic of the thread.

*Campbell is a more questionable scholar than his fans make him out to be:
Wikipedia wrote:Campbell's scholarship and understanding of Sanskrit has been questioned. Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson, a former Sanskrit professor at the University of Toronto, said that he once met Campbell, and that the two "hated each other at sight", commenting that, "When I met Campbell at a public gathering, he was quoting Sanskrit verses. He had no clue as to what he was talking about; he had the most superficial knowledge of India but he could use it for his own aggrandizement. I remember thinking: this man is corrupt. I know that he was simply lying about his understanding".[67] According to Richard Buchen, librarian of the Joseph Campbell Collection at the Pacifica Graduate Institute, Campbell could not translate Sanskrit well. However, Buchen adds that Campbell worked closely with three scholars who did translate Sanskrit well.[68]

Ellwood observes that The Masks of God series "impressed literate laity more than specialists"; he quotes Stephen P. Dunn as remarking that in Occidental Mythology Campbell "writes in a curiously archaic style – full of rhetorical questions, exclamations of wonder and delight, and expostulations directed at the reader, or perhaps at the author's other self – which is charming about a third of the time and rather annoying the rest." Ellwood notes that "Campbell was not really a social scientist, and those in the latter camp could tell" and records a concern about Campbell's "oversimpification of historical matters and tendency to make myth mean whatever he wanted it to mean".[69] The critic Camille Paglia, writing in Sexual Personae (1990), expressed disagreement with Campbell's "negative critique of fifth-century Athens" in Occidental Mythology, arguing that Campbell missed the "visionary and exalted" androgyny in Greek statues of nude boys.[70] Paglia has written that while Campbell is "a seminal figure for many American feminists", she loathes him for his "mawkishness and bad research." Paglia has called Campbell "mushy" and a "false teacher",[71] and described his work as a "fanciful, showy mishmash".[72]

Campbell has also been accused of antisemitism by some authors. Brendan Gill, in an article published in The New York Review of Books in 1989, accused Campbell of both antisemitism and prejudice against blacks.[73] Gill's article resulted in a series of letters to the editor, some supporting the charge of antisemitism or accusing Campbell of having various other right-wing biases, others defending him. However, Robert Ellwood wrote that Gill relied on "scraps of evidence, largely anecdotal" to support his charges against Campbell.[69] Masson accused Campbell of "hidden anti-Semitism" and "fascination with conservative, semifascistic views".[74] Contrarily, the "fascist undercurrents" in Campbell's work and especially its influence on Star Wars have been called "a reminder of how easily totalitarianism can knock at any society's door."[75]

The religious studies scholar Russell T. McCutcheon characterized the "following [of] the bliss of self-realization" in Campbell's work as "spiritual and psychological legitimation" for Reaganomics.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-06-04 09:38pm Fuck the "hero's journey". The idea that the only measure of a good protagonist, even of a good Star Wars protagonist, is rigid adherence to the template laid out by Joseph Campbell* in the fucking '40s is absurd.
Then you might as well not tell a Star Wars story. You destroy what makes Star Wars unique from most other action-films out there. Pacifism is rarely a central focus in "western/American" action movies.

Which is something I'm fine with, and I actually think is reflected more in the ST (albeit more by implication than directly stated) than you give it credit for (more on that shortly).
I disagree.

So essentially your complaint against Rey is that you feel she's too "Western"?

Maybe (though its a bit odd to complain about that when your standard of quality is apparently the very Western-originating template of the "Hero's Journey"), but I don't feel that Rey's depiction goes against what was previously established. It may feel that way because the execution was not as smooth as in the OT, but:
She's too "western" in the sense that her heroics are driven by her aggressiveness and boldness, rather than by her pacifism. The "Hero's journey" might have been by a western scholar, but it did draw upon more myths from non-western cultures than what you would normally expect in a western conceptualisation of the hero's journey.

1. The idea of certain families/people being innately more connected to the Force goes back to the OT, and the idea of there being a "Chosen One" who is naturally gifted even without training goes back at least to Phantom Menace.
Being innately connected with the force doesn't make one a great Jedi. See Anakin as an example. He's a good force user, a bad Jedi.

2. While Rey is powerful for a beginner, she is utterly outclassed by Snoke and Luke, and hasn't clearly demonstrated any abilities beyond what a typical PT-era knight or even a skilled Padawan could do. Nor is rapidly picking up abilities with minimal training entirely unprecedented (Anakin in Phantom Menace, again, and at least Rey didn't do it as a nine year old). Her power is exaggerated by bashers to justify their grievances, and by political partisans seeking to stoke feelings of misogynist resentment in insecure men.
You have a habit of dismissing viewpoints just because misogynists said them before. It's one thing to use the force to win a battle, it is another to test one's abilities against another more experienced force user. A typical PT-era knight spend years mastering control over one's emotions, mediation and etc before they can fully make use of those abilities.

And yet, even experience Jedi masters can go down quickly against bounty hunters. So Rey's power isn't exaggerated, even though misogynists said them before.

I would appreciate it if you can stop bringing up those misogynists as if they are relevant at all to our discussions. Just ignore them as opposed to being so bothered by them.

3. Both Rey and Kylo actually do reflect the idea that Force ability is tied to one's mental/emotional state.

Rey is repeatedly held back by her fears and insecurities about her identity. She does not begin to really learn about the Force or use it on more than a very latent level (possibly) until she leaves Jakku. She runs from the Force and ends up getting easily captured by Kylo in TFA. And in TLJ, her insecurities pit her against Luke, allow her to be baited into a trap, and basically cause her to fail in every major goal she has. It is only after she accepts that she is "no one" and demonstrates that she is strong enough to accept that about herself and still not join Kylo that she starts to win. Seriously, watch TLJ again- Rey fails at every major thing she tries to do, often embarassingly so, until that conversation with Kylo in Snoke's throne room. After that, she succeeds at everything she tries to do. I'd say that's probably significant.

Kylo, meanwhile, is a mass of insecurities about is identity and background, and Snoke notes that it is holding him back. He tries to resolve that in TFA by murdering Han and embracing the Dark Side, but it doesn't really work. This probably partly explains his wildly-fluctuating abilities, and his loss to Rey in TFA, in my opinion. It also allows Luke to bait him with ease in their final confrontation. I would not say that this is bad writing, either, because Kylo is pretty clearly intended to be a pathetic character, not a "cool bad ass". He's a deconstruction of a Sith Lord, and a pretty good one.
Rey's failure are very, very temporary. It was hard for Luke to learn to be at peace with himself to master things like levitation. Rey on the other hand, never had such problem.

If your point is simply that Rey's progression as a character is not clearly conveyed, then that's somewhat true. Her development is fairly thinly-sketched, and you have to read between the lines a bit, speculate a bit, to get the picture I'm describing. That is a fair point against the films' handling of her characterization. But I do think the outline is there, if you look for it.

I also don't see Ahsoka really having a conventional "hero's journey", at least not rigidly so, to bring it back to the original topic of the thread.
My issue is you are projecting A LOT into Rey's characters. That's your perspective and that's fair, but it is a mistake to assume a majority of people can share your projection. For many people, they interpret Rey's character's growth very differently.

*Campbell is a more questionable scholar than his fans make him out to be:
Wikipedia wrote:Campbell's scholarship and understanding of Sanskrit has been questioned. Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson, a former Sanskrit professor at the University of Toronto, said that he once met Campbell, and that the two "hated each other at sight", commenting that, "When I met Campbell at a public gathering, he was quoting Sanskrit verses. He had no clue as to what he was talking about; he had the most superficial knowledge of India but he could use it for his own aggrandizement. I remember thinking: this man is corrupt. I know that he was simply lying about his understanding".[67] According to Richard Buchen, librarian of the Joseph Campbell Collection at the Pacifica Graduate Institute, Campbell could not translate Sanskrit well. However, Buchen adds that Campbell worked closely with three scholars who did translate Sanskrit well.[68]

Ellwood observes that The Masks of God series "impressed literate laity more than specialists"; he quotes Stephen P. Dunn as remarking that in Occidental Mythology Campbell "writes in a curiously archaic style – full of rhetorical questions, exclamations of wonder and delight, and expostulations directed at the reader, or perhaps at the author's other self – which is charming about a third of the time and rather annoying the rest." Ellwood notes that "Campbell was not really a social scientist, and those in the latter camp could tell" and records a concern about Campbell's "oversimpification of historical matters and tendency to make myth mean whatever he wanted it to mean".[69] The critic Camille Paglia, writing in Sexual Personae (1990), expressed disagreement with Campbell's "negative critique of fifth-century Athens" in Occidental Mythology, arguing that Campbell missed the "visionary and exalted" androgyny in Greek statues of nude boys.[70] Paglia has written that while Campbell is "a seminal figure for many American feminists", she loathes him for his "mawkishness and bad research." Paglia has called Campbell "mushy" and a "false teacher",[71] and described his work as a "fanciful, showy mishmash".[72]

Campbell has also been accused of antisemitism by some authors. Brendan Gill, in an article published in The New York Review of Books in 1989, accused Campbell of both antisemitism and prejudice against blacks.[73] Gill's article resulted in a series of letters to the editor, some supporting the charge of antisemitism or accusing Campbell of having various other right-wing biases, others defending him. However, Robert Ellwood wrote that Gill relied on "scraps of evidence, largely anecdotal" to support his charges against Campbell.[69] Masson accused Campbell of "hidden anti-Semitism" and "fascination with conservative, semifascistic views".[74] Contrarily, the "fascist undercurrents" in Campbell's work and especially its influence on Star Wars have been called "a reminder of how easily totalitarianism can knock at any society's door."[75]

The religious studies scholar Russell T. McCutcheon characterized the "following [of] the bliss of self-realization" in Campbell's work as "spiritual and psychological legitimation" for Reaganomics.
My problem with your arguments most of the time is that you are missing the forest for the trees. No one is saying Campbell is perfect, but that doesn't invalidate some of the points he is making. You tend to fall into the "Ad hominem" trap with many of your arguments. A lot of scholars holds questionable views and have issues in their methodology.

I can spent ages picking apart some of Edward Said's point about Orientalism, but that doesn't invalidate everything he said. You have a really bad habit of "does this person holds questionable views? If yes, then I want to reject everything the person said". That's not good argumentation. It's just being tribalisitic and lacking any nuance in your view.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.