Lucasfilm Head confirms KOTOR project in the works

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Lucasfilm Head confirms KOTOR project in the works

Post by Lonestar »

https://www.slashfilm.com/knights-of-th ... confirmed/
The Star Wars universe is only going to get bigger after Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker closes out the Skywalker Saga this December. And for Lucasfilm, that means returning to a few beloved stories that have never yet been adapted to the big or small screen. Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, in a somewhat uncharacteristically frank answer, confirmed that a long-rumored Knights of the Old Republic project is in the works.

Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy confirmed that a Knights of the Old Republic project is in the works, stoking rumors that an adaptation of the popular video game series could soon be making it to the screen. In an interview with MTV, Kennedy responded in the affirmative to reporter Josh Horowitz’s question whether a Knights of the Old Republic title was in the works. “We talk about that all the time,” she said, adding:

"Yes, we are developing something to look at. Right now I have no idea where things might fall. But we have to be careful that there is a cadence to Star Wars that doesn’t start to feel like too much.”

Kennedy’s confirmation adds credence to the recently circulated rumor that the Star Wars films that Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are developing will be a Knights of the Old Republic adaptation. The filmmakers’ experience at crafting a rich, character-driven story out of a sprawling high fantasy setting lends itself to that rumor, as the story of Knights of the Old Republic takes place 4,000 years before the foundation of the Galactic Empire and shares similar mythic elements to Game of Thrones.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Re: Lucasfilm Head confirms KOTOR project in the works

Post by NeoGoomba »

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiii
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Cast Revan as a girl.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I really hope we get Kreia, as Malak is, by all accounts, a rather lame villain.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I have the feeling that people expecting a movie adaption of the game, rather than just something set in the era, will be rather disappointed.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

I don’t mind Revan as a dude. The exile is a woman and she’s more of a warrior (canon seems to go with Revan as a scholarly force user more than a warrior). His relationship with Bastila is much more compelling.

As with Malak he does get a backstory in the comics and there is a sense of tragedy in that YOU were the one who started him down the dark path
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

RogueIce wrote: 2019-04-19 03:39pm I have the feeling that people expecting a movie adaption of the game, rather than just something set in the era, will be rather disappointed.
I would rather have something set in the era, myself. The game's story is only as compelling as it was due to the way the player interacts with it. Strip that away and it's really rather dull, in my opinion.

Using the Revan-era Republic as a vehicle for a new story would make something more lasting, I think. Though I wouldn't mind them including some characters seen in the game, either as cameos or even in a major role, so long as it all fits together.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

If they make a movie about Revan, I would like to see the Mandalorian War that lead up to Revan's Fall.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Eh, if its from the Game of Thrones creators, at least it will probably look gorgeous and have the best talent on-screen and behind the camera. I'm interested to know how far they'll go in terms of sex and violence, though. On the one hand, its the Game of Thrones guys, so there will be certain audience expectations. On the other hand... its Disney, and GoT was always NSFW, while Star Wars is traditionally seen as more of a family/all-ages franchise.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

As much as I like GoT, let's not forget the producers thought making a series about the Confederates winning the civil war is a good idea.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

ray245 wrote: 2019-04-21 05:28am As much as I like GoT, let's not forget the producers thought making a series about the Confederates winning the civil war is a good idea.
Whether that reflects poorly on them depends on how they were planning to handle the subject. If it was going to portray the Confederacy as the appalling slave state it was, then fine. Its just a dark alternate history like many others. If they were planning to white wash the Confederacy, then fuck them for racist shits.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-04-21 05:31am Whether that reflects poorly on them depends on how they were planning to handle the subject. If it was going to portray the Confederacy as the appalling slave state it was, then fine. Its just a dark alternate history like many others. If they were planning to white wash the Confederacy, then fuck them for racist shits.
There was a lot of outcry because there's fear of it fetishing the idea of people suffering under slavery. There's also a lot of fears it might legitimise the idea that the confederacy could have maintained slavery and survive into modern day as a prosperous state.

So even if the producers are not white-washing the confederacy, it does suggest they might not the ones you want to be tasked with doing world-building for Star Wars.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Maybe. But I don't want to judge them simply on a vague premise, without knowing what they were going to do with it.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Yeah, there was a film in 2004 called Confederate States of America which was definitely worth a watch.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-04-21 06:08am Maybe. But I don't want to judge them simply on a vague premise, without knowing what they were going to do with it.
I just don't think they are the kind of people that thinks really careful about the implications of their world-building.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

ray245 wrote: 2019-04-21 09:16am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-04-21 06:08am Maybe. But I don't want to judge them simply on a vague premise, without knowing what they were going to do with it.
I just don't think they are the kind of people that thinks really careful about the implications of their world-building.
In what way?

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-04-21 09:59am In what way?
In the sense that they think a confederate state surviving to modern day with slavery intact makes good world-building.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

ray245 wrote: 2019-04-21 11:26am
In the sense that they think a confederate state surviving to modern day with slavery intact makes good world-building.
Again, how so? The film I mentioned above did it fantastically, using the horrors of the Confederate mindset and transposing them onto a modern day setting.

- George Carlin
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Good world-building =/= a good situation, extremely obviously. If you have a deeper point than 'you shouldn't talk about this because it's nasty,' you're not making it effectively.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Esquire wrote: 2019-04-21 01:17pm
Good world-building =/= a good situation, extremely obviously. If you have a deeper point than 'you shouldn't talk about this because it's nasty,' you're not making it effectively.
I think his point is that the Confederacy would not have been able to survive and prosper to the modern day as a slave state, so portraying it doing so makes slavery look more viable than it actually was.

I'm inclined to agree, but would note that an unprosperus, shit hole slave state surviving to the present is entirely possible (I mean, that's not too far off from what North Korea is, is it?), and that the Nazis used industrial-scale slave labor as late as the 1940s.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-04-21 01:21pm
Esquire wrote: 2019-04-21 01:17pm

I think his point is that the Confederacy would not have been able to survive and prosper to the modern day as a slave state, so portraying it doing so makes slavery look more viable than it actually was.

I'm inclined to agree, but would note that an unprosperus, shit hole slave state surviving to the present is entirely possible (I mean, that's not too far off from what North Korea is, is it?), and that the Nazis used industrial-scale slave labor as late as the 1940s.
Well, Spike Lee's CSA gets a bit ridiculous due to their conquering of the entire United States and then moving southward and pretty much conquering all of South America. But the film can be mostly forgiven as the reveal at the end is that a lot of the parody pop culture stuff brought up throughout the film is actually rather thinly disguised products from our history, showing just how racist those things were that used to be acceptable.

Someone collected all the fake commercials on Youtube:

PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

I do not see much good coming from this. Either you adhere to the game which will ultimately result in a shitty film because translating across a medium is rarely successful and the premise only really worked BECAUSE of the game medium.
Alternatively, this ends up being creatively 're-imagined' which can vary from being little more than butchering the content into whatever narrative suits the mindset of the developers or mangled into an unrecognisable mess.

Frankly, I think this period would do a lot better as a series rather than a standalone film (s). This could be a starting point for more projects in this period.
This period is a target rich environment that is sufficiently 'active' within the lore and abstract from the Skywalker Saga to the point you can actually tell a fairly consistent story over 1,000 years.
They can go from the Mandalorian Wars all the way to TOR story. However, I have a strong feeling that the people behind this are going to be looking at money bags rather than having any interest in using the material that obviously attracted enough of a following to make this project worth pursuing.

The major issue I have with this is how they will really handle Revan if they are bringing in some GoT talent.
On the one hand, Revan's rise, fall and whatever could make for a nuanced and compelling movie story with enough action to get plenty of battles on the go across the spectrum.
On the other hand, the amount of backstory that surrounds this period and Revan is going to be dauntingly difficult to adhere to in a single movie or even in the movie format without cutting corners or gutting the setting.

It does not help that the period they are aiming for is fairly expansive in time. Even if you drop the MMO element which is around 300 years later, the Mandalorian Wars / Revan stuff is still a few years of stuff happening.
Would they even go into the backstory of why the Mandalorian Wars happened, the secret sith Empire sitting in the wings and the Emperor that will not show up for 300 years ?
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Double post - No idea how.
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

I wish them good luck with this
Bullets always have the right of away
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

As a direct retelling of KOTOR a TV series/movie would probably not work, however a project set in that era could work like telling how Revan turned from all account idealistic Jedi Knight/Master to a very powerful Sith Lord.

As long they don't go the way of "he was evil all along" the tale of Revan's fall could be intresting. Especially since even as Sith Lord, Revan didn't seem casually brutal or sadistic, ruthless sure and merciless but with purpose behind the brutality rather then just doing it for its own sake.

How idealist becomes a well intentioned extremist and becomes the very thing he was fighting against could be an intresting tale.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n