Why is the Resistance so pitiful?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Re: Why is the Resistance so pitiful?

Post by Steve »

Vympel wrote: 2019-04-14 09:38am
Steve wrote: 2019-04-14 08:27am I think the issue with these explanations is the movie offers none. We're given very little information on what's going on given the aversion to repeating the prequel trilogy's supposedly-despised "political stuff". And because they wanted to go "back to basics" with OT-style storytelling, including the Vietnam allegory of plucky ragtag rebels versus massive military with superior hardware.

Then TLJ went even further with trying to make the Resistance/Rebels look ragtag and outmatched.
I don't really see that TLJ went meaningfully further. TFA showed us a Resistance with even less forces than the Rebellion had in ANH - just a squadron of X-Wings. There was no hint in ANH that they had meaningfully larger forces and TESB didn't do much on that front either - presenting us with just Yavin, the Sequel at the start of the movie and a tiny fleet of greebles with a single ship the fraction of the size of a Star Destroyer at its centre. Suddenly, in ROTJ they have a fleet.

TLJ arguably one-upped TESB by giving them a much more impressive flagship, IMO.

Now in TRoS, it looks like they've got at least one commandeered ISD Mk 1. 8)
A good point. OTOH, it showed the Resistance losing those assets, so that all it has left at the end is Leia, a fraction of the remaining HQ staff, and the Millennium Falcon.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Maybe the myth of Skywalker facing down the First Order with his laser sword, and thus enabling the Resistance to escape to fight another day might have something to do with more people rallying to their cause and bringing varied supplies.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Gandalf wrote: 2019-04-14 08:01pm Maybe the myth of Skywalker facing down the First Order with his laser sword, and thus enabling the Resistance to escape to fight another day might have something to do with more people rallying to their cause and bringing varied supplies.
Pretty clearly they are getting some more support, given the apparent presence of an ISD with Republic markings, and of Lando.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Silver Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by Silver Jedi »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-04-14 10:40am
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2019-04-14 10:37am Maybe Wedge Antilles is leading a holdout fleet somewhere :)
Would be cool. But I seem to recall that Wedge's actor refused point black to return back when they filmed TFA.
IIRC the old guy that gives Poe the map at the beginning of TFA was originally supposed to be Wedge. Which makes everything about that encounter make a lot more sense.
Not a n00b, just a lurker

108th post on Wed Jun 28, 2006 A Whoop!

200th post on Fri Feb 3, 2012 Six months shy of a decade!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Silver Jedi wrote: 2019-04-15 01:13pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-04-14 10:40am
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2019-04-14 10:37am Maybe Wedge Antilles is leading a holdout fleet somewhere :)
Would be cool. But I seem to recall that Wedge's actor refused point black to return back when they filmed TFA.
IIRC the old guy that gives Poe the map at the beginning of TFA was originally supposed to be Wedge. Which makes everything about that encounter make a lot more sense.
On the plus side, it not being Wedge means that Wedge wasn't killed off after a one-scene cameo.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Denis Lawson rather famously resents his role in Star Wars and refuses to ever have anything to do with it again, probably mad that his story arc got cut twice, once from A New Hope and then again in Return of the Jedi. (To rub salt in, those particular deleted scenes didn't even get reused in Rogue One, because Wedge's presence at Scarif would have undercut his surprise at the size of the Death Star in A New Hope.) If Wedge makes an appearance, he'll have been recast, and because of the aforementioned story cuts he's not a major enough character in the films to be worth doing that with.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2019-04-15 03:27pm Denis Lawson rather famously resents his role in Star Wars and refuses to ever have anything to do with it again, probably mad that his story arc got cut twice, once from A New Hope and then again in Return of the Jedi. (To rub salt in, those particular deleted scenes didn't even get reused in Rogue One, because Wedge's presence at Scarif would have undercut his surprise at the size of the Death Star in A New Hope.) If Wedge makes an appearance, he'll have been recast, and because of the aforementioned story cuts he's not a major enough character in the films to be worth doing that with.
Huh, I never heard of that. Do you have any details? Were they released ever?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2019-04-15 03:27pm Denis Lawson rather famously resents his role in Star Wars and refuses to ever have anything to do with it again, probably mad that his story arc got cut twice, once from A New Hope and then again in Return of the Jedi. (To rub salt in, those particular deleted scenes didn't even get reused in Rogue One, because Wedge's presence at Scarif would have undercut his surprise at the size of the Death Star in A New Hope.) If Wedge makes an appearance, he'll have been recast, and because of the aforementioned story cuts he's not a major enough character in the films to be worth doing that with.
There's been conflicting things about that. In 2014 there was a report that he was offered a role in Episode 7 but reportedly turned it down because it bored him, and then this came out in late 2017 (link is currently not working for me):

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/09 ... star-wars/
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
MarxII
Youngling

Post by MarxII »

I recall he did reprise his role in Rogue Squadron 2, which came out for the Gamecube around 2002.