What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic working on?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Maximum7
Youngling

What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic working on?

Post by Maximum7 »

I’m trying to write an RPG profile about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific.It can NOT be game-changing or something that can alter the story in a dramatic way. Also it can’t already have been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

- A time machine

-A teleporter

-A matter replicator

-A singularity Weapon

- Any type of droid

-Anything to do with holograms

-A food synthesizer

- Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians

- A shrink ray

-A freeze ray

-pico and femtotechnology

-A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.

-Liquid metal armor or a nano morph

-Any improvements on the hyperdrive

-Limb regeneration

-Hyperspace nullifier

-Holodeck

- Knowledge Transfer (Instant learning like in the Matrix)

-Philosophers Stone

-Kinetic weapons

-Solar sail

-Anything to do with kyber crystals

-Gene editing

-Mech suit

-Exosuit

-Gender change

In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic working on?

Post by madd0ct0r »

He could be studying cross plsnet genetics of flying birds, testing hypothesis that there is a core underlying progenitor species, and wether divergence since was breeding of a then domestic now feral terraforming bird species or evolution from a core wild terraforming package, or even vermin!

He could be collecting evidence of hetrogamy vs homogeny in pair breeding intelligent species - do opposites statisically significantly attract?

He could be an Empire geologist, tasked with ground truthing and remapping anomalies in mineral mapping.

He could be a atmospheric scientist looking to trace sources of compounds found in the atmosphere.

He could be a food scientist, looking to preserve commercial crops for longer freight trips.

He could be a chemist, researching domestic paint composition to optimise cost, ease of use and not killing allergic customers.

He could be a data scientist, colecting abd testing ideas for metro station optimization in planetary hives.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The Empire also worked on improving or coming up with new weapons and shield technology.

One thing I can thing of is; He's working on a new method to artificially 'spin' Tibanna gas. Artificial tibanna gas isn't as good as regular Tibanna.
If this method pans out, it could actually increase the effectiveness of anyone using weapons, with this new type of Tibanna.

A new type of sensor stealth system. (The empire was very interesting in getting Cloaking tech again, see 'Rebel assault 2/Tie Phantom project'
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Depending on when exactly in the New Republic this is, an improvement/alternative to Crystal Gravfield Traps for detecting cloaked ships/objects would be a possibility.

Or perhaps he's a computer scientist working on ways to make NR systems more resistant to Imperial slicing efforts.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

When you say it can't have been done in canon, does that rule out the scientist working on something that we've seen bear fruit at a later time in canon?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Quintessence
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

How about a new shampoo for wookies to ensure that their fur stays shiny, even in the worst of climates?

There'd definitely be a market for it
Avrjoe
Redshirt

Post by Avrjoe »

Manipulation of ecosystems to improve planetary habitability.
Repulstor lift optimization to improve the smoothness of the ride.
Improved cheating detection gear for Sabacc halls.
Polymer cushion lairs that make armor more resistant to impact uses range from armor underlayers to crash resistant suits for pilots and drivers.
Multi frequency transmitters that have a denser data compression.
Weed repellent for newly migrated nuisance plants that have accidently migrated to less harsh environments and taken over.
Cost effective chemical process for converting a normal inedible or poison bearing plant into an edible one.
Prosthetic technology customized for an specific species (fur covered for wookies or scaly for trandoshans might be examples).
Synthetic food flavoring that duplicates an exotic and expensive flavor.
Better missile guidance systems.
Pigment for paint that is a very interesting new color or lacks the downside of an existing color (Ala Vantablack).
Inexpensive new process for the formation of low powers processors will sweep the market in a few years but the start up costs are slowing down adoption might unleash a new wave of inventive products or might just line someone's pockets.
I used to be Median but life has made me Mean.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

If you go by the movies, several Earth creatures are mentioned or shown: humans, dogs, falcons, ducks, king snakes, rats, monitor lizards. All of these vertebrates are, relatively speaking, much more closely related to one another than they would be to Hutts or Geonosians or any of the other alien creatures native to the galaxy far, far away (GFFA). So maybe this scientist is tracking down the origins of these creatures.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

There is a planet somewhere in the galaxy that nobody visits. This is because the microbes on most people would lead to an ecological collapse if they got into the planets ecosystem. He's trying to figure out a way to protect the ecosystem while still allowing people to visit.

Not that anybody is likely to want to visit. The risk of the ecological collapse is the only interesting thing about this planet.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

People could just go down there in spacesuits.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Sure, they could. But how many would want to spend all their time in a spacesuit when they could just visit a different planet ?
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Ask any of the trillions living in space habitats/ships or worlds with less than breathable atmospheres all over the galaxy.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2019-02-02 04:00am He could be studying cross plsnet genetics of flying birds, testing hypothesis that there is a core underlying progenitor species, and wether divergence since was breeding of a then domestic now feral terraforming bird species or evolution from a core wild terraforming package, or even vermin!

He could be collecting evidence of hetrogamy vs homogeny in pair breeding intelligent species - do opposites statisically significantly attract?

He could be an Empire geologist, tasked with ground truthing and remapping anomalies in mineral mapping.

He could be a atmospheric scientist looking to trace sources of compounds found in the atmosphere.

He could be a food scientist, looking to preserve commercial crops for longer freight trips.

He could be a chemist, researching domestic paint composition to optimise cost, ease of use and not killing allergic customers.

He could be a data scientist, colecting abd testing ideas for metro station optimization in planetary hives.
I LOVE the bird idea but it was ruined when I remembered that here on Earth, birds supposedly evolved from dinosaurs and I do NOT want dinosaurs in Star Wars Canon. (My story follows canon but the science I want can’t already have been done in Legends or Canon)
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

So replace birds with cockroaches, horses or pigs.

The idea was rpg compatible prpjects that could justify a lot of travel
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

No birds would be the only creature that could do that. I wouldn’t be interested in other creatures.

Synthetic tibanna gas is a great idea but it would bankrupt Lando and Cloud City.

Shampoo for Wookiee’s. Good but a little too silly.

Does anybody have any other science heavy ideas?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Why would it? Synthetic doesn't mean it's automatically cheaper, just that it's available where you don't have access to the natural stuff and/or when the natural supply is insufficient to meet demand
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

How about calcium tablets for Geonosians, so that their exoskeletons stay strong in high gravity areas?
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Calcium tablets exist in the real world.
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

He could be trying to find out what is the idea of abstract thought itself
Bullets always have the right of away
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Maximum7 wrote: 2019-02-10 09:17pm Calcium tablets exist in the real world.
Yes, but we're talking about insectoid creatures with exoskeletons, in high gravities. They're going to need *something* to exist in a normal gravity environment and not collapse due to the pressure it puts on their exoskeleton. Finding a stronger method of ensuring that they can survive without just breaking would be a necessary endeavor if they want to explore higher gravity places than their own.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

It’s a great idea but it’s been done. In the Poe Dameron comics they have a gravity belt that they can wear in high gravity planets like Megablox.
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

Psychological scientist?
Bullets always have the right of away
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Good. Good.

What can this psychologist be studying?
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

PhoenixKnig wrote: 2019-02-11 02:34pm Psychological scientist?
Good. Good. What can this psychological scientist be studying?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

How about a form of teeth correction more advanced than braces?