What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic working on?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Maximum7
Youngling

Re: What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic working on?

Post by Maximum7 »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-02-11 07:13pm How about a form of teeth correction more advanced than braces?
Yeah that’s not bad but how would that be accomplished?
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Tiny constantly-adjusted forcefield projectors. Multispecies genetic editing for straight teeth from conception. Nanite swarms which disassemble teeth and put them back together in a better order. Social engineering to convince everyone (or just you) that your teeth are in fact perfect.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Esquire wrote: 2019-02-11 08:13pm Tiny constantly-adjusted forcefield projectors. Multispecies genetic editing for straight teeth from conception. Nanite swarms which disassemble teeth and put them back together in a better order. Social engineering to convince everyone (or just you) that your teeth are in fact perfect.
First one seems unnecessary. Second one renders it a moot point and the third one sounds extremely painful. Maybe a GFFA should just stick with braces. Don’t fix what isn’t broken.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Yes, which is why somebody might be working on them. Tell us something about this character, maybe you'll get more useful suggestions.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Esquire wrote: 2019-02-11 08:20pm Yes, which is why somebody might be working on them. Tell us something about this character, maybe you'll get more useful suggestions.
He’s brilliant and a good guy. He’s moderately crazy.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Maximum7 wrote: 2019-02-11 09:27pm
Esquire wrote: 2019-02-11 08:20pm Yes, which is why somebody might be working on them. Tell us something about this character, maybe you'll get more useful suggestions.
He’s brilliant and a good guy. He’s moderately crazy.
Teeth straightening via turbolasers it is then.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

That's about as useful as telling us his hair colour (presuming he has any). What are his interests? What's his background? A marine biologist is highly unlikely to start dabbling in hypermatter physics. What would he be likely to look into?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Describe the man's office in some detail, that might help crystallize things. What are his knicknacks? What's his Space Bookshelf look like?
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

Maximum7 wrote: 2019-02-11 07:50pm
FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-02-11 07:13pm How about a form of teeth correction more advanced than braces?
Yeah that’s not bad but how would that be accomplished?
To be fair, a slave child on a dirt poor backwater world probably isn't profiting from galactic civilization.
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Batman wrote: 2019-02-11 09:37pm That's about as useful as telling us his hair colour (presuming he has any). What are his interests? What's his background? A marine biologist is highly unlikely to start dabbling in hypermatter physics. What would he be likely to look into?
Definitely leaning towards hyperphysics, theoretical physics etc.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

How about a tachyonic manifold theorem which could improve the underlying mathematical foundation for hyperspace travel?

Or a new statistical risk model for predicting interaction effects from energetic starship interpolation with varying-strength mass shadows in hyperspace?

Or an attempt at integrating existing gravitic theory with state-of-the-art anti-retroviral therapies in order to reduce negative drug effects and increase effectiveness by guiding individual metabolite particles to target receptors?

None of these make any real sense, but I think they're at least fanfic-level plausible.

A word of caution: convincing cutting-edge science is very, very hard to write. If it's not plot-critical, consider doing either something non-novel, or else something different entirely.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Esquire wrote: 2019-02-12 12:39am How about a tachyonic manifold theorem which could improve the underlying mathematical foundation for hyperspace travel?

Or a new statistical risk model for predicting interaction effects from energetic starship interpolation with varying-strength mass shadows in hyperspace?

Or an attempt at integrating existing gravitic theory with state-of-the-art anti-retroviral therapies in order to reduce negative drug effects and increase effectiveness by guiding individual metabolite particles to target receptors?

None of these make any real sense, but I think they're at least fanfic-level plausible.

A word of caution: convincing cutting-edge science is very, very hard to write. If it's not plot-critical, consider doing either something non-novel, or else something different entirely.
Yeah. You’re probably right. It’s hard.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I mean, if you want to write about groundbreaking hyperspace theory or the insane bureaucratic nightmare that is the University of Coruscant's research oversight board or whatever, by all means do; I'd love to read either story and I'm happy to be a sounding board. But if you just want to show that the guy is smart, there are more efficient ways.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

If he isn't the main character, or a viewpoint character, I would suggest just picking a field and leaving the details vague, and if anyone asks in-universe have him say the details are classified/highly technical and not explain further.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Synthetic Hyperfuel

Bacta replacement

Some strange, large ring made of a quartzite material with strange glyphs on it
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Lonestar wrote: 2019-02-12 04:55pm Synthetic Hyperfuel

Bacta replacement

Some strange, large ring made of a quartzite material with strange glyphs on it

Yeah I toyed with synthetic coaxium but ultimately decided that it’s rarity made it unique. Bacta seems to be the best way to go but I am intrigued by this ring. Can you say more about it?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

intial tests reveal that the material is a previously unknown superconductor of incredible quality. The Ring itself is approximately 7 ft in diameter, at there appears to be some sort of data jack at what could be called "the base", if it were stood up.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Lonestar wrote: 2019-02-12 05:07pm intial tests reveal that the material is a previously unknown superconductor of incredible quality. The Ring itself is approximately 7 ft in diameter, at there appears to be some sort of data jack at what could be called "the base", if it were stood up.
For scale, here's a man standing next to it: Image of device.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-02-12 05:16pm
Lonestar wrote: 2019-02-12 05:07pm intial tests reveal that the material is a previously unknown superconductor of incredible quality. The Ring itself is approximately 7 ft in diameter, at there appears to be some sort of data jack at what could be called "the base", if it were stood up.
For scale, here's a man standing next to it: Image of device.
:D
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

D'oh! Should be 7 meters not feet. Ah well.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

I switched gears.I’m trying to look for something that was never researched until the era of the New Republic like kyber crystals weren’t until the Empire used them for a superlaser and even then, they had been used in weapons formation in the past. I’m looking for something that presumably hasn’t been thought of in the 25,000 years of time where almost everything has already been done.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

It’s VERY hard to pick an idea.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

How about a faster form of hyperdrive that if implemented, will upset the balance of power?

If not, I still recommend the wookie shampoo.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

I was down to 3 ideas. A Guided recirprocating deflector shield from someone on abovetopsecret forums, Synthetic coaxium from FFG forums and The Dynamics of an Asteroid Field on Sjgames. I decided against the shield because it was too wordy and could be a game changer. The coaxium I felt ruined the rarity of hyperfuel and the asteroid belt analyzation was good but their are likely billions of asteroid fields in the galaxy. Who the hell cares about plotting one.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I have no fucking clue what the first one is but while asteroid fields are indeed a dime a dozen in Star Wars they also tend to be ridiculously dense AND in somebody's way so researching their dynamics seems like a worthwhile undertaking
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'