What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic working on?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Maximum7
Youngling

Re: What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic working on?

Post by Maximum7 »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-03-18 05:38pm
Maximum7 wrote: 2019-03-18 05:22pm I asked John Jackson Miller himself what he could be working on and he said something to do with improving navicomputers. That meshes well on what I’m looking for as I want him to do something related to Hyperspace and navicomputers are used to make Hyperspace jumps. What could the scientist be working on in order to make navicomputers better or more efficient?
Preventing the Navi-computers from talking to other ships and droids and wanting them to rebel against their masters via violent revolution?
That would be a disaster for another story lol.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

I’m making one last round on all the forums I posted on. I’m looking for something highly advanced.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

I decided my scientist is studying sub-Hyperspace, the dimension in which quintessence can be turned into Phantom Energy and then travel to destroy star systems in real time. This is how Starkiller Base fires it’s weapon after draining a sun. (I’m sure Disney will explore it more in due time). However, in the mean time; I wonder what other things my scientist can study about it. Applications I’ve considered would be a sub-hyperdrive which would allow for instantaneous travel like Star Trek: Discovery’s Spore Drive. It also could be used for instant communications. Good stuff but too much of a gamechanger to tinker with. What else could my scientist be studying about sub-hyperspace?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Maximum7 wrote: 2019-03-26 04:52pm I decided my scientist is studying sub-Hyperspace, the dimension in which quintessence can be turned into Phantom Energy and then travel to destroy star systems in real time. This is how Starkiller Base fires it’s weapon after draining a sun. (I’m sure Disney will explore it more in due time). However, in the mean time; I wonder what other things my scientist can study about it. Applications I’ve considered would be a sub-hyperdrive which would allow for instantaneous travel like Star Trek: Discovery’s Spore Drive. It also could be used for instant communications. Good stuff but too much of a gamechanger to tinker with. What else could my scientist be studying about sub-hyperspace?
"Yes, the study of new ways of travel are important, but can he see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?"

How about, since he's studying it, he's just studying it? That's enough study to last a lifetime. Trying to figure out the connections between one dimension and another. Unless he's also an engineer, he won't be able to come up with ways to put that science into practice.

Is he an engineer or a scientist? Or is there a solid reason he's both?
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2019-03-26 05:09pm
Maximum7 wrote: 2019-03-26 04:52pm I decided my scientist is studying sub-Hyperspace, the dimension in which quintessence can be turned into Phantom Energy and then travel to destroy star systems in real time. This is how Starkiller Base fires it’s weapon after draining a sun. (I’m sure Disney will explore it more in due time). However, in the mean time; I wonder what other things my scientist can study about it. Applications I’ve considered would be a sub-hyperdrive which would allow for instantaneous travel like Star Trek: Discovery’s Spore Drive. It also could be used for instant communications. Good stuff but too much of a gamechanger to tinker with. What else could my scientist be studying about sub-hyperspace?
"Yes, the study of new ways of travel are important, but can he see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?"

How about, since he's studying it, he's just studying it? That's enough study to last a lifetime. Trying to figure out the connections between one dimension and another. Unless he's also an engineer, he won't be able to come up with ways to put that science into practice.

Is he an engineer or a scientist? Or is there a solid reason he's both?
Okay he can be both I guess. He’s looking for applications for it but he can also be researching something about it. I just can’t think of any sci-fiy jargon to analyze about it.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Unless you actually need the jargon in for some specific plot reason, and there is literally nothing else which will do for the story you want, do not try to shoehorn it in. Being able to do convincing fake science is really hard, and, respectfully, if you need to ask five different forums for weeks of science ideas, it will not come off well. Just say he's got relevant experience but it's classified or whatever and move on to the meat of the story, that's my $0.02.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Honestly, I have doubts that you're going to write a good story given how much emphasis you're placing on the exact science a single character is doing. Forum members have asked for details about this character and you've failed to give any. I fear you'll end up writing an overly technical jargon-riddled mess that focuses more on minutia than interesting characters and scenarios.

Obviously, I have no idea if this is true or not but I urge you to take a step back and make sure all your characters are characters with good motivations and interesting characteristics before you start writing your story. The details are far less important than giving people something interesting and enjoyable to read.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

My scientist is a brilliant man who works for the New Republic and is called by the government to investigate the expansion of the supermassive black holes.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Maximum7 wrote: 2019-03-27 02:38pm My scientist is a brilliant man who works for the New Republic and is called by the government to investigate the expansion of the supermassive black holes.
I've written more detail about a one-shot D&D character than you apparently have about this scientist. How can you write a good story about a character that can be summed up by a single sentence?
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Jub wrote: 2019-03-27 03:11pm
Maximum7 wrote: 2019-03-27 02:38pm My scientist is a brilliant man who works for the New Republic and is called by the government to investigate the expansion of the supermassive black holes.
I've written more detail about a one-shot D&D character than you apparently have about this scientist. How can you write a good story about a character that can be summed up by a single sentence?
It’s just a brief description.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

I’m going about this all wrong. I need an advanced but totally BORING detail intensive thing for my scientist to be studying. I WANT to start my story and this detail is unimportant. Does anyone have some science gooblegook that sounds coherent that I can use?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Maximum7 wrote: 2019-03-27 05:21pm I’m going about this all wrong. I need an advanced but totally BORING detail intensive thing for my scientist to be studying. I WANT to start my story and this detail is unimportant. Does anyone have some science gooblegook that sounds coherent that I can use?
Then go for him trying to incrementally improve some existing technology. It's going to take a lot of effort and, if successful, nobody is going to remember him for it.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-03-27 11:25pm
Maximum7 wrote: 2019-03-27 05:21pm I’m going about this all wrong. I need an advanced but totally BORING detail intensive thing for my scientist to be studying. I WANT to start my story and this detail is unimportant. Does anyone have some science gooblegook that sounds coherent that I can use?
Then go for him trying to incrementally improve some existing technology. It's going to take a lot of effort and, if successful, nobody is going to remember him for it.
Think about computers. Everybody knows Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, but who remembers the guy that came up with Windows 8? Nobody, because there wasn't just one guy, there was a ton of guys working together to put together the new OS as Windows 7 got older.

If you want your guy to be doing something boring... just take one of the suggestions here and have him be doing, I dunno, technical coding of the flux inverter left capacitator's polarity reversing mode. Whatever. Some subtask of a subtask of a subtask.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

I really want my scientist to be working on a way to improve bacta. How could bacta be improved?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Longer shelf life. Faster acting. Reduced incidence of those who are allergic to it. That's just off the top of my head.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Can I ask again why exactly what your character is working on matters? Rarely do I read a work of fiction and say to myself, "Damn, I wish I knew the details of what that scientist works on when he's not dealing with plot stuff." I'd much rather know who this scientist is, what he does besides science, what his personality is than what he's researching.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

You’re right. I’m overthinking it.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

I wanted something for him to study that hasn’t been done before. Is their any science or technology that doesn’t already exist in Star Wars?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

And we've come back full-circle. As one fanfic writer to another, I'll give you a bit of advice: Unless his work is directly related to the plot, we don't need to know what he's doing.

Star Wars has had 25,000 plus years of scientific development and research across hundreds of thousands if not millions of intelligent species. The odds of anyone having anything that "hasn't been done before" in-universe are very low.

You've said yourself you're over thinking this. Best advice is forget the minutia of this, pick a general field like "hyperspace physics" and start writing the story.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2019-03-31 07:14pm And we've come back full-circle. As one fanfic writer to another, I'll give you a bit of advice: Unless his work is directly related to the plot, we don't need to know what he's doing.

Star Wars has had 25,000 plus years of scientific development and research across hundreds of thousands if not millions of intelligent species. The odds of anyone having anything that "hasn't been done before" in-universe are very low.

You've said yourself you're over thinking this. Best advice is forget the minutia of this, pick a general field like "hyperspace physics" and start writing the story.
You’re right but scientist do exist in canon and Legends. Surely they must be doing something. Also Stiegler says that technology never stops advancing. I agree with him. I don’t believe in a full plateau.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

That's completely irrelevant. You only have to be able to answer dinner-party level questions about the guy's prior work; 'hyperspace physics' [or equivalent] is sufficient; anything further is glorified procrastination unless it's directly plot-relevant. If it is... Look, sorry, but based on this thread I think you need to tweak the plot.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

The question was never answered; what is his personality
Bullets always have the right of away
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Look Max7, just start writing and figure the details out as you go. If you need to start with an outline with basic plot notes, then write a page or two about your characters (where they star,t where you want them to end up, their struggles) and go from there. You can literally write stuff like [Detail to come in the second draft] in areas you hit a wall.

Get over your desire for this one guy to be t3h sp3c1al and get writing.
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

Jub wrote: 2019-04-01 01:45pm Look Max7, just start writing and figure the details out as you go. If you need to start with an outline with basic plot notes, then write a page or two about your characters (where they star,t where you want them to end up, their struggles) and go from there. You can literally write stuff like [Detail to come in the second draft] in areas you hit a wall.

Listen to this guy. I about to write something similar to this.
Bullets always have the right of away
Maximum7
Youngling

Post by Maximum7 »

PhoenixKnig wrote: 2019-04-01 01:48pm
Jub wrote: 2019-04-01 01:45pm Look Max7, just start writing and figure the details out as you go. If you need to start with an outline with basic plot notes, then write a page or two about your characters (where they star,t where you want them to end up, their struggles) and go from there. You can literally write stuff like [Detail to come in the second draft] in areas you hit a wall.

Listen to this guy. I about to write something similar to this.
Ok. You’re right. No more fishing. Thanks! I worked most of it out of my system