Counting Lucrehulk Gun Emplacements, or I got Bored

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Counting Lucrehulk Gun Emplacements, or I got Bored

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

So, I was bored recently, and looking at one of my favorite BIG ships, the good ol Lucrehulk Battleship!
Reading through the Wiki Entry on it, something that always boggled my head was the sheer number of guns it says it has:
472 "Quad Point Defense" lasers
164 "Medium" lasers
048 "Heavy Turbo Lasers"

I have often wondered just where do they PUT all those guns? Where are all the weapon mounts? Well… Looking at one of the more detailed images of the ship (and canon, not some fan drawn work) I off the following image, which I am linking and not posting directly cause it is MASSIVE and will break the page.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... 0311015214

Ok so picture one, shows what I take to be the best evidence to "Gun mounts"
There is a battery of 3 larger circles, and 4 small ones. There are then 7 such "batteries" going around the half circle. If we assume the large ones are for "Medium Turbo Lasers" That gets us 21 for the 7 batteries and then times four for top bottom, left right, gets us a total of 84 "Medium Turrets"
Doing the same thing for the smaller mounts, assuming those to be the "Point Defense Laser" mounts, we get a number of 4 x 7 x 4 or a total of 112 "turrets."

Now for the "Heavy" Turbo laser mounts, well the only picture that seems to show those are from the ICS which I am linking here.
https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/im ... bsite2.jpg

Looking in the trenches there are 5 groups of 3 guns. 15 each side for a total of 30 Turrets.

(A quick note, if you take the illustration seriously, the Size of these guns are MASSIVE. The length of each barrel is about 1/7 of the landing craft in the picture. Looking up those it says they are 370 meters wide, which gives you a barrel over FIFTY METERS LONG.)

Regardless of the actual size of the barrels, the individual turrets come to just 30 that are visible.

So to review real Quick...
The "Official" number weapons on the ship are
164 "Medium" lasers
048 "Heavy Turbo Lasers"

And our estimated numbers are:
112 turrets
084 turrets
030 turrets

Which do not exactly match up... However, I had an idea on the PD Lasers.
It specifically says they are "Quad" lasers, so if we decide to count by Barrels and take 112x4 we got 448 which is actually pretty close. If you assume the medium turrets are Dual Barrels, you get 168 which is almost the exact amount. So for two out of the three, the numbers look good for the "Battery" gun emplacements.

Unfortunately the "Heavy" turrets don't match up any which way. Those are also shown in the ICS as "Quad" and if you take 30x4 you get 120 barrels, way more than the 48. The only thing that makes sense to me is if for some reason that number is ONLY for turrets, not barrels, and that there are another 18 heavy Turrets scattered around the ship... Which could make sense.

SO, totals between what it SAYS and what the estimates are would look like this:

164 "Medium" lasers
048 "Heavy Turbo Lasers"

448 Barrels (112 turrets) 06
168 Barrels (084 turrets) 04
192 Barrels (030 turrets) 18

Pretty cool huh?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Counting Lucrehulk Gun Emplacements, or I got Bored

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I'm a little confused by what you are counting on that first image, it seems not to show really any barrels at all?

Overall though it'd make sense if the ships got a massive light armament upgrade after the Battle of Naboo, which is the configuration ICS shows. Given that they proved not super effective at dealing with a relatively small scale Starfighter attack. The attack wasn't effective either but the guns were not stopping them from making pass after pass, a clear warning that these ships would not withstand full scale warfare well. Thus slap on lots more light guns just like everyone massively increased auto weapons batteries in WW2.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
cScott
Redshirt

Post by cScott »

I love the Lucrehulk but one of the problems I have with it, is that almost every time we see 1, it's always facing the enemy with the front void of its donut shape. If I was a Lucrehulk captain I'd always have 1 of the sides facing towards the enemy where I could bare down the most possible amount of firepower upon the enemy. One of things I've learned from watching SW is that the hanger is almost always the achilles' heel of any ship, and the Lucrehulk has no detailed or stated weapons around the hanger bays or the front part of the core ship even after the lessons learned from the battle of Naboo. I really do like your idea of the gun mounts around the top & bottom of each half circle, just wish someone could take the the time to fully detail all the weapon emplacements out. But instead of of the "middle" laser batteries, I would've gone for more of the quad HTLs which at that point they both would destroy any fighter they hit but the HTLs could be must more effective against larger vessels with actually being capable of doing damage to them plus I'm sure the Lucrehulk has the reactor capability to utilize them. I wouldn't get rid of all the quad point defense lasers, I'd change some out for batteries of those separatist flak guns & proton cannons like that of the J-1 artillery droid, both of which seemed to be very effective against Republic star fighters and ships. And I'd definitely move all 16 of the droid signal receiver stations to behind the ridge of batteries too allow for better firing angles for all the weapon emplacements
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

I think you're suffering from a dramatic miscalculation of scale. Especially with respect to the quad laser batteries. Think about the Falcon: it's got a pair (one dorsal, one ventral). They're small. They just aren't big enough to show up on your pictures. Therefore, in that first picture, I'm not sure we can assume those bumps you identified actually correspond to guns.

So let's look at the second pic: you missed a grouping of 3 guns in the trench, so it's 6 per side. There's also two groups of 3 behind the bridge ball facing forward. Together, that's 42 quad turbolasers, matching the listing for the pre-Clone Wars fit. Which makes sense if the image is from/based on the Episode I ICS book. Which it is.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I thought the quad guns on the Falcon were MUCH smaller than the ones you see in the Prequel/Clone War era.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elfdart wrote: 2019-02-03 03:25pm I thought the quad guns on the Falcon were MUCH smaller than the ones you see in the Prequel/Clone War era.
If you mean the large quad cannons we see firing in TPM each those are probably as long as the Falcon so much larger then the quad cannons on the Falcon.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

there was an image that SW.com posted to "Hyperspace" back after ROTS was released that showed like a quarter of the ship and had little colored dots for the different guns on the model. Find that and you can figure it all out pretty easily.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est