Tarkin was in charge

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Tarkin was in charge

Post by Galvatron »

The latest round of Darth Vader comics have finally explained how and why he was DEFINITELY subordinate to Tarkin in ANH (and even before then).

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Tarkin was in charge

Post by Elheru Aran »

...Okay? I mean, this is nice and all, but it doesn't tell us much of anything. A little explanation in spoiler-text might help for those either without access to said comics, means to purchase them, or inclination to read them?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Okay.

Up to now, it's been rationalized that "Vader was just being politely deferential" or "Tarkin is only in charge on the Death Star" by some fans for years. It was vague in the old EU as well, but the new comics make it explicitly clear when the Emperor himself puts Vader in his place and straight up tells him in no uncertain terms that Tarkin is his boss. Here's a snippet...

There's no indication that this was meant to be a temporary arrangement either.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I doubt it would have been permanent, if only because Palpatine playing his subordinates off each other is nothing new.

But I do think a lot of people mistakenly assume that Number 2. in the Sith hierarchy is the same as Number 2. in the Imperial hierarchy.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Permanent or not, it seems to have lasted for a good many years until Tarkin's ultimate demise. As I theorized before, Vader served whomever the Emperor told him to serve. First it was Tarkin, then it was Tagge.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Hmm, I can't remember. Was the Empire actually building the Death Star around Geonosis, or did they discover the prototype there? I can't quite recall...

Tagge met a rather sticky end as far as that went, if I recall the second-to-last Vader TPB correctly.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-07-23 07:58pm Hmm, I can't remember. Was the Empire actually building the Death Star around Geonosis, or did they discover the prototype there? I can't quite recall...
I kinda lost track myself. Even the Wookieepedia is murky, but it seems that the Republic actually began its construction over Geonosis prior to the end of the Clone Wars.
Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-07-23 07:58pmTagge met a rather sticky end as far as that went, if I recall the second-to-last Vader TPB correctly.
He done fucked up.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Awesome. I love how it reinforces the idea that Vader is really a pathetic figure. He was once a powerful Jedi, but burned it all to the ground and became some guy in an iron lung. Even once ESB rolls around, he's not so much respected as he is just feared.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Not only that, but in a pretty major twist ending it's heavily implied that...
Spoiler
...Vader betrayed the Empire by intentionally leaking to Erso that the Death Star was to become a planet-killing superweapon, thus setting into motion the events of Rogue One.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Spoiler
That's ridiculous. Why on Earth would he do that, unless his plan was to lure out the rebels so he could shoot them down and play hero?

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Because of this...
Spoiler
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

To quote Hermes Comrad; "that just raises further questions!"

- George Carlin
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The rest of the issue makes it clearer, but I doubt anyone would want me to post every page.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Gandalf wrote: 2018-07-23 09:46pm Awesome. I love how it reinforces the idea that Vader is really a pathetic figure. He was once a powerful Jedi, but burned it all to the ground and became some guy in an iron lung. Even once ESB rolls around, he's not so much respected as he is just feared.
Hardly. Anakin was known but was way down on the list of notables in the Jedi order, behind at least all of the random Jedi masters we see in the films, and who knows how many random Jedi masters in the other media.

In Empire its much the same, but he has the distinction of being the personal enforcer of the Emperor and holding his favor. In a monarchy like the Empire, that distinction is more important than formal titles in most cases.

What I like about this situation is it that in rienforces that that Empire was a more complicated entity politically, and it supplies a rich environment for intrigue and machinations when someone we know like Vader still has to walk delicately. It implies a diverse field of other villains in the world.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Patroklos wrote: 2018-07-24 02:16am In Empire its much the same, but he has the distinction of being the personal enforcer of the Emperor and holding his favor. In a monarchy like the Empire, that distinction is more important than formal titles in most cases.
Even long before TESB, the Emperor gathered an assembly of high-ranking Imperial officers and then this happened...

However, this occured before he handed Vader's leash over to Tarkin. The point remains the same though: the Emperor giveth and he taketh away, as it suits him.
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

Galvatron wrote: 2018-07-24 02:09am The rest of the issue makes it clearer, but I doubt anyone would want me to post every page.
Can you summarize? Because what Vader said to Tarkin (which apparently gave the old Grand Moff a pause, which is by itself an achievement) seems more like a "friendly" bickering in the good old Sith/Imperial manner. It both reminded Tarkin that Vader can be dangerous and have teeth even when he is not, metaphorically speaking, baring them, and reminded audience that Vader can surprise people (he managed to do so to the Emperor in his own series, after all, several times in fact).

But it would be out of character for Disney-era Vader to be plotting against Tarkin directly and in such a disastrous manner. I need more proof of that.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Spoiler
He wasn't plotting against Tarkin so much as he was trying to prevent/delay/sabotage/undermine the construction of the Death Star by getting Galen Erso to abandon the project. I doubt very much that he intended for it to result in such a costly defeat for the Empire, however.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Chronologically, where does this fit in with the latest issue of Darth Vader proper, where Vader tasks Tarkin with 'hunting' him?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Sometime afterward since Vader wasn't yet Tarkin's lackey at the time of the hunt.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Galvatron wrote: 2018-07-24 04:05am
Patroklos wrote: 2018-07-24 02:16am In Empire its much the same, but he has the distinction of being the personal enforcer of the Emperor and holding his favor. In a monarchy like the Empire, that distinction is more important than formal titles in most cases.
Even long before TESB, the Emperor gathered an assembly of high-ranking Imperial officers and then this happened...

However, this occured before he handed Vader's leash over to Tarkin. The point remains the same though: the Emperor giveth and he taketh away, as it suits him.
Which series was this from again?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

AniThyng wrote: 2018-07-25 11:53am
Galvatron wrote: 2018-07-24 04:05am

Which series was this from again?
"Darth Vader" by Marvel.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-07-25 12:05pm "Darth Vader" by Marvel.
Do you have access to said comics, means to purchase them or inclination to read them yet? :)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Galvatron wrote: 2018-07-25 10:57pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-07-25 12:05pm "Darth Vader" by Marvel.
Do you have access to said comics, means to purchase them or inclination to read them yet? :)
Nah, I found some TPB's awhile ago at the bookstore and flipped through them, but I don't have access etcetera to the latest issues until they get compiled in TPB. Last one I saw had a bunch of leftover Jedi and Vader making his classic ANH lightsaber, I think.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

The new Marvel Disney Comics are going down the same path a lot of the old Bantam/Dark Horse EU did.

Intrigue for the sake of intrigue and quadruple/triple/double crossing as a routine matter. If things worked that way, then the Empire would never have lasted 20~ years.

Both Vader and Tarkin should have mutual respect for each other; and in fact, their friendship should be what keeps the Empire together -- each of them counterbalances the other's excesses; which explains why the Empire only lasted a few more years post ANH, but lasted 20 years prior to ANH.

Basically, if Tarkin had been alive post ANH, he'd have kept Vader's head "in the game", by keeping him from becoming too obsessed with Luke.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

If anything, the relationship between Vader and Tarkin is friendlier than it was in the old EU. Vader hates the Death Star, not Tarkin. That doesn't mean they never bicker, though.
MKSheppard wrote: 2018-08-01 07:29pm Both Vader and Tarkin should have mutual respect for each other; and in fact, their friendship should be what keeps the Empire together -- each of them counterbalances the other's excesses; which explains why the Empire only lasted a few more years post ANH, but lasted 20 years prior to ANH.

Basically, if Tarkin had been alive post ANH, he'd have kept Vader's head "in the game", by keeping him from becoming too obsessed with Luke.
Agreed, but I think that's still true.