Bigoted "fans" troll Kelly Marie Tran (Rose). Steven Colbert trolls them right back.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Bigoted "fans" troll Kelly Marie Tran (Rose). Steven Colbert trolls them right back.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Just for laughs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVpG1iC737c

:D

What makes it better is that Steven's actually a life-long Star Wars fan since the original film came out. He basically devoted a segment of his show a few years ago to explaining how Kylo Ren's cross guard light sabre could work
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Re: Bigoted "fans" troll Kelly Marie Tran (Rose). Steven Colbert trolls them right back.

Post by Vympel »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-06-18 05:11pm Just for laughs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVpG1iC737c

:D

What makes it better is that Steven's actually a life-long Star Wars fan since the original film came out. He basically devoted a segment of his show a few years ago to explaining how Kylo Ren's cross guard light sabre could work
Good. I'm glad there's a lot of active pushback on this toxic-ass bullshit.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Re: Bigoted "fans" troll Kelly Marie Tran (Rose). Steven Colbert trolls them right back.

Post by tezunegari »

Has there actually ever been an official announcement why she left social media?

As far as I know, her publicist hasn't answered questions by media outlets.

I've heard that the "she left because of toxic fans" story got started by an unaffiliated twitter account or other questionable sources.

Of course, there's also the theory that she has received an NDA from Disney for some reason (to distract from the Solo debacle is a favorite explanation).
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

People who would be in contact with her or would do research would know.

Frankly those sound like conspiracy theories, tezunegari. Especially the Solo thing.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I honestly have no idea why people are picking on the actress, and not screaming at Disney for the direction of the movie.

Ms. Tran was hired to do a job. She did her job.

Scream at the writers and director for making the character crap to begin with, not the actress for doing her job.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Q99 wrote: 2018-06-24 07:13am People who would be in contact with her or would do research would know.

Frankly those sound like conspiracy theories, tezunegari. Especially the Solo thing.
That's what I consider them myself.

But none of the publications going with the "toxic fans explanation" ever give an official source like Miss Trans publicist or Disneys PR department.
Neither do the once with the "alternative explanations".
IIRC the most cited source is a Twitter account called "Star Wars Facts" that started the original news avalanche.
Solauren wrote: 2018-06-24 08:02am I honestly have no idea why people are picking on the actress, and not screaming at Disney for the direction of the movie.

Scream at the writers and director for making the character crap to begin with, not the actress for doing her job.
I completely agree with you.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Solauren wrote: 2018-06-24 08:02am I honestly have no idea why people are picking on the actress, and not screaming at Disney for the direction of the movie.

Very well put! I loathe TLJ, but that's not the fault of the actors or actresses who were hired to do a job. I think Rose is one of the worst characters in SW (if not the worst), but people attacking Kelly Marie Tran on social media are just sick.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

tezunegari wrote: 2018-06-24 06:02amOf course, there's also the theory that she has received an NDA from Disney for some reason (to distract from the Solo debacle is a favorite explanation).
I'm sure she's under multiple NDAs, but they couldn't just impose one on her post facto that would force her off of Instagram. It's a non-disclosure agreement; those have to be agreed to by both parties and would typically be a condition of hiring before she worked on the movie, not negotiated months after the film's release.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

It's not like Disney hasn't had experience with their celebrities shooting off their mouths; Tom Holland has gotten some flak for talking about the Marvel movies he's been doing a little too in depth, and he's still on social media from what I know.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Too many people are unable to distinguish between an actor and the role he or she plays.

Also - too many see women as convenient targets.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

tezunegari wrote: 2018-06-24 06:02am Has there actually ever been an official announcement why she left social media?

As far as I know, her publicist hasn't answered questions by media outlets.

I've heard that the "she left because of toxic fans" story got started by an unaffiliated twitter account or other questionable sources.

Of course, there's also the theory that she has received an NDA from Disney for some reason (to distract from the Solo debacle is a favorite explanation).
I don't know, though the timing seems to suggest a connection. But responding to "First major Asian actress in a Star Wars film is subjected to racist trolling" with "Well, we don't KNOW that's why she left" seems to me to be somewhat missing the point, to put it charitably. To put it less charitably, it looks like you trying to provide cover for racists/misogynists.

And just to put the cherry on the shit Sunday, you finish by trotting out a baseless conspiracy theory, with zero evidence provided other than two separate layers of speculation, about how its really just the evil Disney trying to "distract" from how bad Solo was. Yeah, I'm sure that is a favorite explanation of internet assholes who think "Disney made some movies I didn't like" is a bigger sin than racist/misogynist trolling.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

tezunegari wrote: 2018-06-24 08:39am
Q99 wrote: 2018-06-24 07:13am People who would be in contact with her or would do research would know.

That's what I consider them myself.
Then why did you bother to bring them up in the first place? Just to obfuscate the issue?
But none of the publications going with the "toxic fans explanation" ever give an official source like Miss Trans publicist or Disneys PR department.
Neither do the once with the "alternative explanations".
IIRC the most cited source is a Twitter account called "Star Wars Facts" that started the original news avalanche.
Whether or not the trolling was the reason Tran left doesn't change the fact that it occurred, and it sucks. Yes, the facts are important, but its a parody video for fuck's sake. And its interesting that your first impulse on replying to this thread was apparently to try to downplay the racism and misogyny, imply that the people calling it out are dishonest, and post conspiracy theories.