Requirements for Galactic Republic membership?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Requirements for Galactic Republic membership?

Post by FaxModem1 »

Inspired by TRR's post about the Galactic Civil War got me thinking. The UFP from Star Trek has requirements, as does the ISA from Babylon 5, but does the Republic?

What, if any, are the requirements for joining the Galactic Republic? Old or New. What standards are they held to? Could dictatorships join, as long as they have Senate representation? The Trade Federation, a corporation, had senators, so either a corporate government or just a corporation in itself was allowed a vote, so what are their standards on members?

Discuss
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Re: Requirements for Galactic Republic membership?

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

To the best of my knowledge, it has never been stated outright. In the Legends canon, the narrative is usually of individual planets (and maybe the odd interstellar empire/star nation) wanting to join the New Republic, and some sort of diplomatic dialogue taking place before that happens. There doesn't seem to have been a specific process involved, and when anything is described it seems to have more to do with the themes of the story in question.

The only example that comes to mind is Karnak Alpha, covered in 'Young Jedi Knights: the Lost Ones'; otherwise known as Cousin Itt's homeworld :mrgreen:. During the diplomatic dinner, Zekk accidentally commits a faux-pas by mistaking a floral arrangement for a salad and eating it; forcing the Solo family to do likewise in order to cover for him. This ironically makes a good impression on the Karnak Alphans; they particularly value children (to the point of allowing them to participate in government) and were impressed that Leia would put herself out for the sake of a child in that manner. Zekk, meanwhile, storms out in a fit of embarrassment, and later ends up joining the Second Imperium out of a desire for self-improvement.

So yes, it generally comes down to whatever the author at the time found convenient.

As for canon, we know from recent sources that planetary governments can take a variety of forms. In TCW, there are more than a few monarchies and quasi-monarchies, for example; the latter including Pantora, whose Chairman is for some reason addressed as 'your Majesty'. It might be better to think of the Galactic Republic not as a state-like entity (as the term 'Republic' admittedly implies') but as a kind of galactic UN; trying to manage relations between planets and interstellar states in a peaceful and productive manner. Of course, it does not limit itself to the roles and competences this implies, and in many respects gets stuck in the middle.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

There's also Starfighters Of Adumar in Legends which is all about Wedge getting a specific planet it to join. I can't remember if there was criteria but they were looking down on the duel obsessed culture they had.

I'm not sure if it was deal breaker or not but there was an expectation that their should be a planetary government in place.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-06-09 04:43pm There's also Starfighters Of Adumar in Legends which is all about Wedge getting a specific planet it to join. I can't remember if there was criteria but they were looking down on the duel obsessed culture they had.

I'm not sure if it was deal breaker or not but there was an expectation that their should be a planetary government in place.
I'm pretty sure a single planetary government was the requirement - which makes sense, because it's a lot easier to have dealings with one government than a host of smaller ones - and then there's the issue of what if some nations don't want to join - do you say Republic law no logner applies because you crossed a planetary border?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-06-09 04:43pm There's also Starfighters Of Adumar in Legends which is all about Wedge getting a specific planet it to join. I can't remember if there was criteria but they were looking down on the duel obsessed culture they had.

The importance of that planet was in it's strategic value. Supposedly, it had factories that could be retooled to produce more missiles and torpedoes which the Republic really wanted on their side and the foothold in the "Unknown Regions". The overall theme being that both the Republic and Empire were fighting to win this planet to their side and thus not really a good indication of what would happen to a "normal" world joining.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2018-06-09 05:02pm

I'm pretty sure a single planetary government was the requirement - which makes sense, because it's a lot easier to have dealings with one government than a host of smaller ones - and then there's the issue of what if some nations don't want to join - do you say Republic law no logner applies because you crossed a planetary border?
This, though it does raise questions about Naboo- did they just ignore the fact that the Gungans had a separate government? I bet that went over real well with the Gungans. Probably explains a lot of the tensions with them in Phantom Menace.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It's entirely possible that the Gungans were unknown before Naboo was settled by humans and gained a seat in the Senate. Of, the Gungans simply didn't want to be involved prior to TPM and (urgh) Jar-Jar's involvement - they weren't exactly welcoming to the Jedi.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, the Republic, while a force for peace, already didn't fairly represent it's population, didn't really care what was going on inside individual systems, and pretty much accepted anyone, as long as there was only one government? Sounds like the Jedi had their hands full with such members.

And suddenly, the Populist position for the New Republic takes on a darker tone.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-06-10 11:02am So, the Republic, while a force for peace, already didn't fairly represent it's population, didn't really care what was going on inside individual systems, and pretty much accepted anyone, as long as there was only one government? Sounds like the Jedi had their hands full with such members.

And suddenly, the Populist position for the New Republic takes on a darker tone.
Indeed.

I can understand the need for the Republic, old or new, to be fairly flexible with regards to the cultures and systems of member worlds in such a diverse galaxy. And note that the Old Republic had anti-slavery law (as per Padme in Phantom Menace IIRC). But the rules weren't being enforced any more. They didn't stop slavery in the Outer Rim. They couldn't even prevent one member from invading another, and ultimately they could not prevent mass secession and armed revolt against the central government. This clearly wasn't always the case, but the institutions had become undermined, and the Jedi were stretched too thin, especially with the Shroud of the Dark Side.

The NR failed, I suspect, because it lacked the key mechanism (a strong Jedi Order) to keep it together that the OR at its height possessed, and had no viable alternative. That is on the Populists- as understandable and even justifiable as an anti-Imperial backlash against centralized government and a strong military was, they went way too far in the other direction to all appearances, and gutted the NR's ability to maintain the rule of law and defend its territory.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

So, Disney Canon makes Leia the harbinger of doom for civilization in the galaxy? I really wish they planned this out better. Hopefully Episode XI "From his Nap" rectifies that.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-06-14 02:29am So, Disney Canon makes Leia the harbinger of doom for civilization in the galaxy? I really wish they planned this out better. Hopefully Episode XI "From his Nap" rectifies that.
To be fair, the films say none of this. Its just the EU shitting things up again. Same old same old, I guess.

And like I said, its an understandable reaction to the Empire, even necessary to a point. But sometimes things get carried away, and that seems to have been the case here. I'd be curious to know how much of that was Leia, and how much was more radical subordinates going overboard.

The sad thing, though, is that it being Leia's fault does fit thematically with Luke's failure with Kylo, and Leia's guilt and refusal to let anyone else die in TLJ. The theme of the older generation, having won the war, failing to win the peace, as the saying goes.

Though it probably didn't help that the NR was apparently full of Quislings, either.