Solo release thread (spoilers)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Re: Solo release thread (spoilers)

Post by PhoenixKnig » 2018-06-09 08:30pm

Thoughts on the new ships and walkers
Bullets always at the right away :kill:

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 » 2018-06-10 01:56am

PhoenixKnig wrote:
2018-06-09 08:30pm
Thoughts on the new ships and walkers
As far as I know we have no idea what that double-hulled TIE that led the squadron chasing them into the Maw was supposed to be. That's what I'm most interested in, of the new things we saw.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician

PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig » 2018-06-10 01:58am

TIE Brute
Last edited by PhoenixKnig on 2018-06-10 02:04am, edited 1 time in total.

PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig » 2018-06-10 02:02am

houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 » 2018-06-11 08:00am

PhoenixKnig wrote:
2018-06-10 01:58am
TIE Brute
Please tell me you're joking.

PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig » 2018-06-11 11:27am

houser2112 wrote:
2018-06-11 08:00am
PhoenixKnig wrote:
TIE Brute
TIE/rb is the official name but it's been officially known unofficially as the TIE Brute

PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig » 2018-06-11 11:31am

PhoenixKnig wrote:
2018-06-11 11:27am
houser2112 wrote:
2018-06-11 08:00am
PhoenixKnig wrote:
TIE Brute
TIE/rb is the official name but it's been officially known unofficially as the TIE Brute
The name is not too bad

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man » 2018-06-18 09:07am

So I finally got around to seeing Solo. I went in not expecting much, and the movie met my expectations. It was an okay sci-fi heist plot, but didn't add anything to our understanding of Han Solo as a character. I'd describe it as the visual equivalent of eating meringue. Consuming it was enjoyable enough, but it wasn't particularly satisfying afterwards because it didn't really contain anything of substance.

I feel like this movie should have come out in 2014, before the release of TFA. At the very least it would have addressed one of the issues with TLJ, where casual fans who don't delve deeply into the old EU were left wondering about the significance of the dice that the movie was so fixated upon.

Alternatively, I preferred a different idea I saw where instead of Solo, the movie is Calrissian, and focused on Lando's transition from scoundrel to legitimate businessman, where Han plays a supporting role, or even just shows up as a cameo with the Sabacc game where Lando loses the Falcon.

PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig » 2018-06-19 06:25am

I'll see that

FaxModem1
Sith Acolyte

Post by FaxModem1 » 2018-06-23 12:05am

Just saw it, rather enjoyed it. I'll have to reflect on it a bit. Aside from being the shitholes of the galaxy, why was the lighting dingy in almost every single scene? Heck, even in Dreyden Vos's flying yacht, the lighting could have been improved. I miss the CGI environments of the Prequels a bit, they were colorful. But, if it's an intentional theme of being part of the bottom of the barrel people in the galaxy like Han, I'm fine with it a bit.

I do wish we got to see a bit more of Solo as an Imperial. A scene of why he was kicked out of flight school, aside from a vague comment on his inability to follow orders, but that's neither here nor there.

Also, it's interesting to note that unlike our world, any vagrant on the street can just walk up to an Imperial Military Recruiting station and get into their Flight school, lickity split. No prior college needed, no family connections, no introduction letter, or knowing of any highly qualified politicians. Seems a bit too egalitarian for a system like the Empire. This means that if any bum can keep their head down long enough, Joe Q Public could become an officer if they survive long enough. Of course, Han also realistically washes out and becomes a basic army trooper, designed to carry a gun and die.

Sidenote: I want Han Solo's jacket. I just want it so badly. I know it's sacrilege, but I prefer it to the black vest he wears in the OT.

KraytKing wrote:
2018-05-29 11:25pm
The lightsaber duel being short was the best part: it ended sooner. Their faces move too much. The voice acting is terrible, along with the dialogue. Why did Maul let them talk for so long? He should have attacked while they were talking, to get the drop on an old man. Why did the droid have a rocket engine? How did a lightsaber put out a fire? And for God's sake, why do they spend so much time staring at each other? It's worse than Luke at the end of TFA.

I could go on, but I think you get the picture.
You need to watch more Kirosawa movies.

link

Note the drawn out tension, how the more peaceful man is trying to talk him out a fight, the resignation, and the aggressive samurai's surprise when he is killed, not knowing that he was talking himself into being killed. Like it's American cousin the Western, Japanese Samurai movies have a building of tension as the two opponents square off against each other before the brutally short fight.

That's what's going on in that fight. Maul still thinks that he is an aspiring Sith Lord, destined to conquer the galaxy someday, not realizing he has peaked long ago and is just a shell of what he once was. Obi Wan is trying to spare Maul, until Maul threatens others. Then Obi Wan has no choice but to strike Maul down, and give him some comfort as he dies. Obi Wan has become a wise master, while Maul hasn't grown from what he was back in The Phantom Menace, and Obi Wan knows it.

Unfortunately for Maul, he presses the issue.

Esquire
Jedi Master

Post by Esquire » 2018-06-23 09:14am

Just saw the other day, quite enjoyed it. I absolutely loved the ISD construction shots on Corellia, and was willing to overlook the weirdness around the Maw. Didn't get the apparent hubbub about the droid - the vibe I got was 'this droid is amusingly nuts,' but maybe I'm just not #woke enough.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari » 2018-06-23 01:24pm

FaxModem1 wrote:
2018-06-23 12:05am
Also, it's interesting to note that unlike our world, any vagrant on the street can just walk up to an Imperial Military Recruiting station and get into their Flight school, lickity split. No prior college needed, no family connections, no introduction letter, or knowing of any highly qualified politicians. Seems a bit too egalitarian for a system like the Empire. This means that if any bum can keep their head down long enough, Joe Q Public could become an officer if they survive long enough. Of course, Han also realistically washes out and becomes a basic army trooper, designed to carry a gun and die.
Maybe the Imperial Navy works on similar ideology like the French Foreign Legion?
They don't care who you were, or what you did as long as you are loyal to the Empire.

At least that's my personal head-canon.
And Han might have applied for Pilot Training, but overall the Imperial Navy should send any applicant through basic training that tests them for their aptitude as well.
Considering how different worlds can be from a backwater planet like Tatooine to a sprawling Ecumenopolis like Coruscant the applicants vary in education but talent can come from anywhere. It just needs the correct training.

So all applicants go through Basic Training (and possibly basic schooling) and are selected for the branch they are best suited for.
Han's stated wish to become a pilot is only a note in the file and focuses his testing on pilot ability.

Essentially a backwater planet applicant might be unable to spell his own name, but his physique, reaction time and spatial awareness are off the charts good; he gets additional education in reading/writing and math, and if he is successful there he's going into Pilot training.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord » 2018-06-23 04:56pm

FaxModem1 wrote:
2018-06-23 12:05am
TIE fighters are fucking cheap. As much as it will distress some of us here to hear that old canard that's always been the authorial intent; it's not like trusting a pilot with a multi-million dollar modern plane.

Of course, we knew this from the original film where Luke wants to go to the Imperial Academy and no one talks of cost or education.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth