"Star Wars Resistance" is Disney's Newest Animated TV show

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: "Star Wars Resistance" is Disney's Newest Animated TV show

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Galvatron wrote: 2018-07-14 07:00pm That's what the new show could explain.

Maybe he was found by Grand Admiral Rae Sloane, took up residence on her SSD and soon after declared himself the true heir to Palpatine's legacy. Isn't that essentially what Joruus C'baoth did in the Thrawn trilogy?
Yeah.

C'baoth failed to pull it off because he was an unstable nut job trying to outmaneuver one of the foremost tacticians in the galaxy. Snoke could make a more credible attempt, perhaps.

I do think, despite the merits of broadening the scope of the Star Wars universe, that Snoke works better thematically and plot-wise if he has some ties to the Empire. But as long as whatever explanation eventually emerges includes that, I don't object.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Perhaps it'll be revealed that Vader encountered Snoke decades before, just as he did with Thrawn during The Clone Wars. Or perhaps Thrawn did. Or Palpatine himself. Take your pick.

This show could be to the sequels as The Clone Wars was to the prequels: a better-executed story that, when taken as a whole, retroactively elevated the movies themselves into something a bit less terrible.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-12 06:25pm
There's a reason I cited both the Inquisitors and Ventress- powerful, Jedi-level Dark Siders who (while employed by the Sith), were not Sith nor Nightsisters (well, Ventress sort of was a Nightsister, for a while).

Edit: There's also that Jedi general in The Clone Wars who loses it- yeah, he was ultimately a Sith pawn, but again, powerful Dark Sider, not a Sith.
Ventress is actually an interesting sideline. Technically she's a fallen Jedi. I believe it was Clone Wars were it was shown she was some Jedi's Padawan until he was killed and while she was born among the Nightsisters, it's not like they trained her or anything. I guess she was ethnically Nightsister but trained Jedi. She's not really Sith either, Dooku never claims her as anything more than apprentice and assassin. Plus rule of two.

Anyway she's definitely dark, so is the Jedi General Krell you refer to, but still fallen Jedi.

Anyway, I hope the show is good. I hope they fill that particular hole if it's a run up to TFA. Even if Snoke came from the 'unknown regions' still doesn't track how such a powerful competitor could co exist with Palpatine and not have Palpatine come a hunting him.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Knife wrote: 2018-07-14 10:57pmAnyway, I hope the show is good. I hope they fill that particular hole if it's a run up to TFA. Even if Snoke came from the 'unknown regions' still doesn't track how such a powerful competitor could co exist with Palpatine and not have Palpatine come a hunting him.
Does Palpatine have some sort of omniscience?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-13 11:09pmYeah, though Force premonitions probably help with that.
Didn't help Palpatine in RoTJ. :P

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Gandalf wrote: 2018-07-15 04:42am
Knife wrote: 2018-07-14 10:57pmAnyway, I hope the show is good. I hope they fill that particular hole if it's a run up to TFA. Even if Snoke came from the 'unknown regions' still doesn't track how such a powerful competitor could co exist with Palpatine and not have Palpatine come a hunting him.
Does Palpatine have some sort of omniscience?
"Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design". So, yeah, sort of. He was able to detect Maul and come for him when Maul was gaining a lot of political power. He was able to suss out Ezra when Ezra started getting some serious magical access to shit. Palpatine will not suffer a rival. Plus, Palpatine was the Emperor of the Galaxy, with huge military, huge intelligence, and other assets. How cannon is 'unknow regions' and what does it actually mean? For some reason there is a chunk of the galaxy people just don't go to? Or is it really just low population density area? Or a left over name from bygones past? And how can something like Snoke exist in a galaxy where Palpatine is actively hunting Jedi for 10-20 years?

Snoke isn't just someone with standard Jedi level shit, he is portrayed as super powerful, they pretty much ape all scenes with the Emperor for Snoke. Until there is some explanation, it's a glaring hole.

Was he Imperial but not that powerful until after Palpatine?
Was he in the unknown regions and either not powerful enough or actively hiding until Palpatine died?
Didn't discover his Force powers until after Palpatine?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

If Snoke was languishing in obscurity on some backwater in the Unknown Regions, why would Palpatine bother with him? After all, Palpatine left Maul alone until he began messing with galactic affairs on Mandalore.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

There is the whole thing with the Jakku Observatory and Palpatine's interest in the Unknown Region.
IIRC Palpatine had sensed something very dark in there and thought it might be the origin of the Dark side.
I think one of the newer novels stated that Palpatine had somehow contact with something that was calling him there.

Personally, I see Snoke as some ancient Darkside user that was incarcerated somewhere in the Unknown Regions, possibly by the early Jedi and was trying to get revenge after being freed by the Imperial Remnant under Rae Sloane and Armitage Hux.

Beyond that, I just hope that there will be something of a backstory to Snoke in novels or other media.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I think the EU is holding off from pursuing that storyline any further so Episode IX or even this TV show can pick up the loose threads.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Sorry for breaking the post up. I hate doing it, but I couldn't think of another way to address stuff.
Knife wrote: 2018-07-15 01:38pm"Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design". So, yeah, sort of. He was able to detect Maul and come for him when Maul was gaining a lot of political power. He was able to suss out Ezra when Ezra started getting some serious magical access to shit. Palpatine will not suffer a rival. Plus, Palpatine was the Emperor of the Galaxy, with huge military, huge intelligence, and other assets.
Wasn't that quote from shortly before he, his prized battlestation, and Galactic Empire all ended? Palpatine was a hubristic idiot and died accordingly, taking everything with him.
How cannon is 'unknow regions' and what does it actually mean? For some reason there is a chunk of the galaxy people just don't go to? Or is it really just low population density area? Or a left over name from bygones past? And how can something like Snoke exist in a galaxy where Palpatine is actively hunting Jedi for 10-20 years?
I just assumed it was a largely lawless place, where it's just not worth the Empire's time to try and colonise. Also, the Jedi missed Palpatine Sithing under their noses, on account of "shroud of the Dark Side." Perhaps Snoke had something similar. Considering Obi-Wan also managed to hide until he wandered out onto the Death Star, I can only assume that Force Hiding is better than Force Seeking.
Snoke isn't just someone with standard Jedi level shit, he is portrayed as super powerful, they pretty much ape all scenes with the Emperor for Snoke. Until there is some explanation, it's a glaring hole.

Was he Imperial but not that powerful until after Palpatine?
Was he in the unknown regions and either not powerful enough or actively hiding until Palpatine died?
Didn't discover his Force powers until after Palpatine?
Beats me, but I'm none too fussed about these things. Like when I saw ROTJ, I just accepted that for some reason a dark wizard runs a space empire.

- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Knife wrote: 2018-07-14 10:57pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-12 06:25pm
There's a reason I cited both the Inquisitors and Ventress- powerful, Jedi-level Dark Siders who (while employed by the Sith), were not Sith nor Nightsisters (well, Ventress sort of was a Nightsister, for a while).

Edit: There's also that Jedi general in The Clone Wars who loses it- yeah, he was ultimately a Sith pawn, but again, powerful Dark Sider, not a Sith.
Ventress is actually an interesting sideline. Technically she's a fallen Jedi. I believe it was Clone Wars were it was shown she was some Jedi's Padawan until he was killed and while she was born among the Nightsisters, it's not like they trained her or anything. I guess she was ethnically Nightsister but trained Jedi. She's not really Sith either, Dooku never claims her as anything more than apprentice and assassin. Plus rule of two.

Anyway she's definitely dark, so is the Jedi General Krell you refer to, but still fallen Jedi.

Anyway, I hope the show is good. I hope they fill that particular hole if it's a run up to TFA. Even if Snoke came from the 'unknown regions' still doesn't track how such a powerful competitor could co exist with Palpatine and not have Palpatine come a hunting him.
Best answer would probably be that he didn't have that much power while Palpatine was alive. Maybe he got his hands on some Sith artifacts or something after the Empire went belly-up.

That or he somehow masked his true power. Palpatine isn't omniscient, as shown by the fact that various Jedi successfully hid from him for decades.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-14 06:37pm That works to explain how he came out of seemingly nowhere despite having such power, but it doesn't necessarily explain why he'd cloak himself in Imperial imagery or attach such importance to Vader's bloodline, nor why former Imperial officers would flock to him.
If it was because the First Order or their immediate Imperial predecessors found him, the answer is obvious: he did it because they were there and willing and he was able to climb to the top. Why reinvent the wheel?

As far as the Vader bit, from what I can tell that's mostly Kylo Ren's hangup and again, the reason is obvious. He's a powerful Force user already, related to Vader and obsessed with him, so of course Snoke is going to use that. The rest of the FO doesn't seem to care about the Vader bits, and Kylo himself seems to have dubious respect amongst the 'elite' of the FO, if Hux is any indication. At least before Snoke was killed who could effectively tug on his leash.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Kylo Ren has dubious respect amongst the rank and file as seen in TFA. He's throwing a temper tantrum and the Troopers patrolling the corridors...just turn around and walk away
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, that could be fear of getting his attention more than lack of respect. Its not like he knew they were there.

Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Anacronian wrote: 2018-08-17 03:00pm New trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Q5SD-h92k&t=0s
Not really a fan of the whole cel-shaded look and flat colours it has going on...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Tech looks good but people look bad - if you ask me.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

God that animation is horrendous. Pass.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Anacronian wrote: 2018-08-17 06:29pm Tech looks good but people look bad - if you ask me.
So just like the last two Star Wars animated shows, then?

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Anacronian wrote: 2018-08-17 06:29pm Tech looks good but people look bad - if you ask me.
Sounds about standard for CG work.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It is pretty much in the same stlye as Rebels.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Zixinus wrote: 2018-08-19 10:54am It is pretty much in the same stlye as Rebels.
No, it's much more anime styled than that.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I think the animation looks wonderful. The ships especially, really nice.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2018-08-19 12:02pm
Zixinus wrote: 2018-08-19 10:54am It is pretty much in the same stlye as Rebels.
That's my line :lol:
Bullets always have the right of away
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2018-08-19 12:02pm
Not really?

The basic forms and shapes being used are very similar to Clone Wars and Rebels. Where they diverge for the most part is the coloration and the specific rendering method being used, which turns most of the color gradients into flat monochrome surfaces. This results in the characters becoming ugly blobs of colour.

Compare this to this scene from Rebels:

Or this one from Clone Wars:

The shading is much more stark in Resistance, the colours more bold, there aren't really any textures to speak of because it's all been flattened out like someone playing with high exposure sliders. As such detail is minimized to whatever casts a harsh shadow and can be defined by line-art. There is no transition from edge to edge that cannot be delineated. No shading allowed except whatever would turn up by casting a spotlight on the scene.

The basic bones of the character designs are still largely the same from what I've seen thus far-- starting way back with the Tartovosky cartoon and its stylized hard edges, then transitioning into a 3D animated form of that in early seasons of TCW, softening the edges in later seasons of TCW, and becoming almost fully rounded in Rebels. There's a definite lineage you can follow there to Resistance. Shame Resistance fucks it up with the colors, but otherwise it's definitely part of the family design-wise.

If that's "anime style", well, all I can say is I haven't really seen any anime that looks like this... yes, there's press that says they want it to be "anime style". Maybe it is; I dunno-- but I don't really read it as such.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.