Pop Culture Critic Star Wars

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Pop Culture Critic Star Wars

Post by Darth Yan »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUPD1w78D5I

I'll be honest.....some of the points he makes are legitimate. Repressing emotions can be very unhealthy and if George Lucas really DOES believe the prequel jedi are meant to be right he's an idiot. On the other hand I think that the video ignores some very real problems (that overindulging in emotions CAN be dangerous and unhealthy).

So what do you think? Tosh or not?
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Re: Pop Culture Critic Star Wars

Post by ray245 »

Darth Yan wrote: 2018-04-07 04:36am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUPD1w78D5I

I'll be honest.....some of the points he makes are legitimate. Repressing emotions can be very unhealthy and if George Lucas really DOES believe the prequel jedi are meant to be right he's an idiot. On the other hand I think that the video ignores some very real problems (that overindulging in emotions CAN be dangerous and unhealthy).

So what do you think? Tosh or not?
It's quite obvious that Lucas thinks suppressing emotions is a bad thing. The point of the prequels was to show the Jedi's were by and large wrong. Obi-Wan and Yoda didn't think Vader could be saved, Luke did.

It was Luke's desire to connect with people, to save the "monster" that allows him to become a Jedi knight. It's also why TLJ's idea of Luke is rather problematic and why I think Rian Johnson( and JJ Abrams by extension) didn't fully grasp the ideas of Lucas.

The mark of an ideal Jedi is not to suppress emotion per say, but someone who can understand his emotion and not let it control everything. For that, you have to look the Clone Wars as well. Obi-Wan's reaction to the death of Santine is perhaps the most "ideal" Jedi behavior.

He does feel anger and sadness at her death, and he does express them. The point is he was not consumed by pure hatred that he goes on a mad rampage against anyone he deems to be his enemies. For all of what the Mandalorians did to him, he's not calling for blood or anything. Even in his final fight against Maul, he was not vengeful against Maul.

It's all balancing your emotions is all about. There's no rule against connecting with people ( which is actually what the Jedi are supposed to be about), but it's about not turning the people you care about into mere possessions.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.