Jon Favreau to write, exec. produce live-action SW

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Jon Favreau to write, exec. produce live-action SW

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-03-15 07:47pm

Well, as Star Trek shows, at some point, a drop in quality starts to effect sales.

The question is: who and what defines "quality"? The last thing I want is for Disney to follow the pattern of "Design each new film to appease/pander to whichever group of fans whined loudest about the last film."
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran » 2018-03-15 07:53pm

Exactly, yeah. Voyager and Enterprise were a low point, culminating in Nemesis. And I'm pretty sure nobody here wants to see Wars sink that low.

As for quality... honestly yeah that is a very hard thing to define, largely because with media like Star Wars it's somewhat subjective. See all the prequel haters, for example. One thing I have to give Lucas credit for is that even with the pushback on the prequels he pretty much kept doing what he was doing and kept them pretty consistent. That's not happening with the sequels; if Star Wars IX is a redux of TFA, that's going to clash badly with TLJ, and while SW IX might be a decent movie in its own right, that would signal a decline in quality due to the lack of consistency.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-03-15 07:59pm

The model I'd like to see is to have the same writing/directing team, with a clear plan and overall vision, for all of a given series or stand-alone. Each separate story can do its own thing, to a point, but within a given series there should be a consistency of theme and style.

While there are many elements of TLJ that I like, I think, bluntly, that it was probably a mistake to try to do each ST film with a different director, without (it appears) a clear overall plan.

I'm hopeful, since they're talking about multi-film deals down the line with Rian Johnson and the Game of Thrones guys, that we'll get some more consistent subseries, at least.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

ray245
Sith Acolyte

Post by ray245 » 2018-03-30 09:13pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2018-03-15 07:59pm
The model I'd like to see is to have the same writing/directing team, with a clear plan and overall vision, for all of a given series or stand-alone. Each separate story can do its own thing, to a point, but within a given series there should be a consistency of theme and style.

While there are many elements of TLJ that I like, I think, bluntly, that it was probably a mistake to try to do each ST film with a different director, without (it appears) a clear overall plan.

I'm hopeful, since they're talking about multi-film deals down the line with Rian Johnson and the Game of Thrones guys, that we'll get some more consistent subseries, at least.
The problem goes beyond having different directors. The OT can have 3 different directors but still have consistent tone and themes. You need a head at Lucasfilm that actually have a large creative vision and a clear path for the SW franchise. I've said this, again and again, Kennedy is not the person for such a role. She's a good CEO and producers of films, but she never struck me as the person that a creative vision, in the same manner, a writer or director would.

Her delegating that task to a Story group is probably the biggest mistake because there is no clear authority on who can rein in the different directors and writers with all sort of different creative vision. The fact that all 3 of the spin-offs have production issues of some kind is a good indication that no one is leading the creative vision effectively.

Kevin Feige may not be a writer of a director, but he's shown himself as someone who clearly has a clear creative vision for the MCU and what he wants from the different directors. The choice of Superhero to feature and how he is building up the MCU shows there is clearly someone heading the creative team. You need someone at the head of Lucasfilm that cares about odd little details like speeders don't have wheels and etc. Someone needs to care about the worldbuilding and also where the franchise is creatively headed.

Otherwise, you'll just get an endless supply of Star Wars stories that gets repeated constantly and goes nowhere. The old EU with never-ending Siths and Imperials is a good example of where SW is headed without proper creative leadership.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron » 2018-04-11 10:09am

I wonder if Kevin Feige himself couldn't just take on Star Wars along with the MCU. He's apparently a big fan.

I still think Dave Filoni should get the job though.