What is the galaxy's perception of Palpatine's defeat?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: What is the galaxy's perception of Palpatine's defeat?

Post by Galvatron »

Did the Jedi Order publicize the origins of their members? That would seem strange for an organization that puts so much emphasis on severing attachments.

As for Tatooine, I've speculated before that it was probably best known for being the home of an infamous crimelord than anything else.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Galvatron wrote: 2018-02-08 07:27pmDid the Jedi Order publicize the origins of their members? That would seem strange for an organization that puts so much emphasis on severing attachments.
Anakin is a pretty special case. He would have had to be well renown just by nature of being the only human and a child at that, to win a pod-racing championship. On Tatooine (and then later on Naboo) he would easily be a local celebrity. Even if the Hutts wanted to downplay it, the idea of a come-from-nothing slave winning his freedom in an insanely dangerous race as a child is a good story. Also, Qui Gon being a terrible father figure.

In EP3, after the Chancellor rescue I recall Obi-Wan saying something to the effect of "I'm not big on the spotlight" to Anakin. So Anakin deals with them and also gets some Padme love. This, and the Clone Wars itself, implies that Anakin is kind of the "face" of the Jedi in the field. His close ties to Palpatine also suggest this. He's the Republics posterboy.

It's not hard to really think the connection would be apparent. The young slave boy grows up to be the less-young Galactic Hero.
As for Tatooine, I've speculated before that it was probably best known for being the home of an infamous crimelord than anything else.
As said, a whole bunch of shit goes on there in the EU. It's kind of like Hoth in that regard. The EU just has issues coming up with their own shit.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The ROTS novel gushes over Palpatine and how without him the Republic would have lost the Clone Wars and would have crumbled. ANH novel describes a once benevolent Emperor who lost touch with the workings of the government and bureaucrats taking over. Ending credit/song of ROtJ shows open rebellion and celebration on multiple worlds, including Coruscant.

There is a clear line of decreased support of Palpatine throughout the franchise. I'm sure all sorts of Sept 11th conspiracy shit goes on, but for the most part it seems support for the Empire was very low. I'm figuring most people don't really give a shit one way or another HOW he is gone, just that he is gone. Though I'm sure old white 70 year old retiree's want to vote Snoke to Make the Empire Great Again.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red