Solo Trailer

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Re: Solo Trailer

Post by jollyreaper »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-02-08 05:21pm But honestly at this point I don't think -anybody- is making a serious argument that the Falcon was intended to be a space freighter. We already saw what a space freighter is supposed to look like, and that was the big container ship Han and Chewie were on in TFA. Not to mention Ansel's replenishment ship design.
I like the idea of it being a pod pusher. It makes sense then how it was a good candidate for conversion into a smuggler. It would have an outsized engine capacity for the size. What Han has essentially done is taken an unglamorous can hauler like a semi tractor and swapped out the stock engine for a trio of afterburning jet engines.

This means that his internal storage would be used for high-value, low-mass contraband like drugs, weapons, etc. You could say the Falcon is like the rum-runners of Prohibition or the cigarette boats of the cocaine cowboy days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go-fast_boat

The advantage of the Falcon is that it does look like a hunk of junk. If it looked like a flashy hot rod there's no way it could escape imperial attention because a vessel like that has no business but smuggling. The Falcon instead looks like a proper, honest working man's ship and Han probably has the logs to prove it. What are you doing out here? Oh, I'm just dead-heading to my next haul. Yup, gonna pick up a can of whale fur to bring to Coruscant. You know how those high fashion types love their whale fur.

As far as the EU goes, they completely bought the argument that the Falcon is a freighter. The other Corellian designs are basically kit bashes of the Falcon and have the same general size but lack the mandibles. The cargo is understood to be carried internally. Likely this is going to be carried into the new canon as stuff gets pulled in from the EU.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I don't know how the rest of the EU handled it specifically (don't remember it coming up much in the novels apart from the Outrider, which was also a smuggling vessel), but X-Wing: Alliance had the Corellian freighters picking up cargo containers through clamps on the ventral side.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

LucasArts really was an amazing organisation. They produced so many classics, including many original titles that didn't exploit their existing IPs.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

When it comes to the corellian YT-family of light freighters there seems to be 3 variants in the old EU the YT-1300 (aka the falcon), the YT-2000(IIRC) and the YT-2400, the Millenium Falcon and Outrider styles had places where you could clearly attach external cargo pods while the last (seen in X-wing Alliance) had it's cockpit positioned so that it blocked the obvious attachement points.

I would suspect that Falcon is capable of carrying legimate cargo even after the modifications Han made to it. After all a freighter that never carries legit cargo (and I suspect that imperials have records about these things) is gonna draw unwanted attention from the authorities.

Also the falcon is a light freighter, not a bulk freighter. It's best to think ships like the falcon more like delivery trucks then as container ships. So big bulk freighters like what Han used in the early part of TFA would haul cargo between major trade hubs while ships like the Falcon or the Ghost would haul cargo between those hubs and outlaying systems.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2018-02-08 10:57pm I don't know how the rest of the EU handled it specifically (don't remember it coming up much in the novels apart from the Outrider, which was also a smuggling vessel), but X-Wing: Alliance had the Corellian freighters picking up cargo containers through clamps on the ventral side.
YT-2400 does that in Rebels.
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

Lord Revan wrote: 2018-02-09 04:08am When it comes to the corellian YT-family of light freighters there seems to be 3 variants in the old EU the YT-1300 (aka the falcon), the YT-2000(IIRC) and the YT-2400, the Millenium Falcon and Outrider styles had places where you could clearly attach external cargo pods while the last (seen in X-wing Alliance) had it's cockpit positioned so that it blocked the obvious attachement points.

I would suspect that Falcon is capable of carrying legimate cargo even after the modifications Han made to it. After all a freighter that never carries legit cargo (and I suspect that imperials have records about these things) is gonna draw unwanted attention from the authorities.

Also the falcon is a light freighter, not a bulk freighter. It's best to think ships like the falcon more like delivery trucks then as container ships. So big bulk freighters like what Han used in the early part of TFA would haul cargo between major trade hubs while ships like the Falcon or the Ghost would haul cargo between those hubs and outlaying systems.
I have to say this is right on the nose. We have the equivalent of bulk freighters in aviation (Boeing 777, Airbus 380 and such) but there is still the smaller regional hub planes and even smaller planes that would take just a couple up to maybe a dozen people+stuff and probably land at a dirt airstrip or on a lake if you get my drift.
The falcon is definitely the space equivalent of the smaller end.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Hell, it's entirely possible that this detachable "nose" section is where Jabba's shipment of spice was stored and subsequently jettisoned by Han. The Falcon's missing cargo hold between the mandibles would then go on to become a constant visual reminder of the decision that changed his life forever.
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

The teaser for the movie sort of gives me a sense of "This is a live action episode of Rebels." I consider that a very good thing. Well if it is even half as good as Rogue One is will still be twice as good as the "Sequels."
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Disagree on the quality of the sequels, agree that Rogue One was good (well, actually, I found most of it fairly mediocre aside from the nostalgia factor, but regard the final ten minutes or so as the best Star Wars film since the OT ended).

And you know, I'll be very disappointed if they keep making stand-alone films in the pre-OT era, and never have any of the Rebels characters show up on the big screen. You'd think Disney of all people would appreciate the value of tie-ins, after Marvel.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

They do seem to have avoided the tendency for the trailer to spoil the movie.
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The trimmings could be excellent, but the whole shebang hinges on Alden Ehrenreich's ability to convincingly inhabit a role that was effortlessly owned by Harrison Ford. Also...

https://io9.gizmodo.com/this-is-our-bes ... 1822865902
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

I'd love that job! 8)

I just realised the "showroom condition" Falcon also doesn't have the big dish thing* on top, but it does have the twin cannon turrets. Says interesting things about how Corellians market their just-an-honest-freighter-trust-me ships. :wink:

* Was it ever settled whether the dish is for comms, sensors, or what?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

One barrel per turret tho, Han's got four.
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-02-10 01:19pm And you know, I'll be very disappointed if they keep making stand-alone films in the pre-OT era, and never have any of the Rebels characters show up on the big screen. You'd think Disney of all people would appreciate the value of tie-ins, after Marvel.
Uh? Chopper was in Rogue One. As the only physical entity from an animated series that is a pretty big deal. We also saw the Ghost parked at Yavin base, heard "General Syndulla report to the briefing room." over the intercom, and saw the Ghost come out of hyperspace at the beginning of the main battle. (Considering we never saw what the Ghost was doing after that, the popular fan hypothesis is that the last episode of Rebels will show the battle from the perspective of the Rebels cast.)

That is a level of tie-in that is completely unprecedented in film and Agents of SHIELD only wished they had with the Marvel movies.

Edit: P.S. Technically Lando is a Rebels character too. (even voiced by Billy Dee Williams) :D
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Lord Insanity wrote: 2018-02-11 11:13pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-02-10 01:19pm And you know, I'll be very disappointed if they keep making stand-alone films in the pre-OT era, and never have any of the Rebels characters show up on the big screen. You'd think Disney of all people would appreciate the value of tie-ins, after Marvel.
Uh? Chopper was in Rogue One. As the only physical entity from an animated series that is a pretty big deal.
Not quite. Saw Guerrera originated in the Clone Wars series and has also appeared in Rebels.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2018-02-11 11:15pm
Lord Insanity wrote: 2018-02-11 11:13pm Uh? Chopper was in Rogue One. As the only physical entity from an animated series that is a pretty big deal.
Not quite. Saw Guerrera originated in the Clone Wars series and has also appeared in Rebels.
Well I did forget about Saw Guerrera being from Clone Wars. Other than the name there isn't much to connect the two character portrayals. Though it does set the precedent that an actor can play an animated character.

They actually built a real physical Chopper to roll around the office and use in the Rebels behind the scenes shorts. Its not quite as good as what you would normally see in a film which is probably why he was only in a quick background shot. Presumably this was made before someone decided to give Rebels some live action film tie-ins. Chopper literally is the only physical entity existing. Everything else is animated. As Saw Guerrera shows that won't stop them if the want the character. I consider that a good thing.

In Solo the only character that would even make sense to show up is Lando. It's a big galaxy after all.
-Lord Insanity

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

This movie would also be a good opportunity to reintroduce Dash Rendar.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Galvatron wrote: 2018-02-12 05:08pm This movie would also be a good opportunity to reintroduce Dash Rendar.
Why though? He's a blatant Han Solo stand-in, bringing nothing to the table. Also, his costume was ridiculous.

Anyway, the Kasdans have dished on the influences on the Solo script.

http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/12/solo-a- ... nfluences/

They are:

- Treasure Island
- Heat
- Unforgiven
- Big Lebowski; and
- Gangster No. 1.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Vympel wrote: 2018-02-12 09:47pm
Galvatron wrote: 2018-02-12 05:08pm This movie would also be a good opportunity to reintroduce Dash Rendar.
Why though? He's a blatant Han Solo stand-in, bringing nothing to the table. Also, his costume was ridiculous.
:shock:

Shroom might have words with thee. :wink:
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Galvatron wrote: 2018-02-12 09:56pm
Vympel wrote: 2018-02-12 09:47pm
:shock:

Shroom might have words with thee. :wink:
He's a man of unusual tastes .... :)
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Lord Insanity wrote: 2018-02-11 11:13pm
Uh? Chopper was in Rogue One. As the only physical entity from an animated series that is a pretty big deal. We also saw the Ghost parked at Yavin base, heard "General Syndulla report to the briefing room." over the intercom, and saw the Ghost come out of hyperspace at the beginning of the main battle. (Considering we never saw what the Ghost was doing after that, the popular fan hypothesis is that the last episode of Rebels will show the battle from the perspective of the Rebels cast.)
I very much hope that rumor is correct.

And yes, there were a couple of references to Rebels in Rogue One, fair enough- but they were so brief that an inattentive viewer would not notice them (I caught "General Syndulla" in theatres, but not Chopper).

I'd actually like to see some of the Rebels cast on-screen in a speaking role.
That is a level of tie-in that is completely unprecedented in film and Agents of SHIELD only wished they had with the Marvel movies.
Agents of Shield actually had several cameos or even guest star appearances from film characters- just not A-listers.

From recollection:

-Nick Fury in two or three episodes.
-Lady Sif as a guest star in a couple of episodes.
-Maria Hill in at least a couple of episodes.
-And don't forget Coulson, a film character, as one of the series leads.

And even then, its gotten lots of criticism from fans for not being interconnected enough with the films (the Avengers not knowing that Coulson is alive being one of the most frequent complaints that I've seen).

Edit: Granted, the reverse-television to film-hasn't really happened, to my knowlege.
Edit: P.S. Technically Lando is a Rebels character too. (even voiced by Billy Dee Williams) :D
Yeah, I know. Which slightly compensates for my annoyance that Lando isn't in the ST.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.