47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

User avatar
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 5394
Joined: 2005-05-18 10:23pm
Location: Feasting on those who fell in battle
Contact:

47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by Sidewinder » 2018-01-16 04:46pm

The Daily Caller wrote:47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’ Sends Media Into Triggerland

Ian Miles Cheong, 3:29 PM, 01/16/2018

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” has garnered both praise from critics who lauded its departure from the franchise’s formula, and ire from long-time fans who say it missed the mark. Chief among the complaints, beyond the unbalanced pacing and needless subplots, concerned the movie’s heavy-handed progressive messaging.

To that end, an anonymous user—a troll with too much time on their hands—created a 47-minute cut of the film with its female presence drastically cut down. It’s a hundred minutes shorter than the actual movie, the cut is as linear as a bad dream and it focuses entirely on its male characters without any of the character development given to Rey—one of the The Last Jedi’s finer elements.

Called “The Last Jedi: De-Feminized Fanedit (aka The Chauvinist Cut),” the cut-down version is clearly intended to satirize the complaints about the movie’s heavy focus on Finn’s aimless sidekick, Rose (who’s referred to as “Asian chick” and “China girl), and the pink-haired admiral played by Laura Dern. Most of their scenes, along with Leia’s and Rey’s, are significantly reduced.

The Kylo Ren and Rey battle sequence is also re-edited to de-emphasize Rey’s martial prowess.

Just to make the joke obvious, the fight between Finn and Captain Phasma is cut down to Finn striking Phasma down with a single blow. The description reads:
“Women are naturally weaker than men, she isn’t force-sensitive, and we know nothing about any exo-skeleton in her suit.”
Despite having every indication of being a work of satire, the cut has sparked a backlash from the progressive media who are lamenting what they see as an insurgence of men’s rights activists in the geek community.
The full article- including details on the "backlash", and links to the critics' online posts- are available on The Daily Caller website.

Has anyone seen the "Chauvinist Cut"? Is it as bad as the critics say?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)

User avatar
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10375
Joined: 2003-04-10 03:45pm
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by Crazedwraith » 2018-01-16 04:52pm

Not seen it but it being bad is obviously the point.

Is the whole "it's bad because it has the women" really a prominent complaint? Or is it just the defender's strawman of the critics?
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

User avatar
Esquire
Jedi Master
Posts: 1421
Joined: 2011-11-16 11:20pm

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by Esquire » 2018-01-16 05:55pm

From people I've talked to, mostly the latter.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb

APlayerHater
Padawan Learner
Posts: 157
Joined: 2015-02-18 11:31am

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by APlayerHater » 2018-01-16 06:11pm

You could do a cut of only white people. Would just involve removing the casino planet scenes.

Finn and Rose are such important characters, they are put on a bus the entire movie and could be removed from it entirely without effecting the plot in any way.

We can pretend this movie is multicultural and woke. It isn't. They've even removed the possibility of Finn/Poe romance, which might have actually been a brave and new direction for Star Wars to go in. Nope, just recycled RotJ/ESB and rearranged the scenes in random order. Nothing new or interesting going on in this movie, it's just the old movies but worse in every part of its execution.

Now that TLJ has failed in China, they'll probably just kill Rose off. There's no time for a Finn/Rose romance because they have no screen time together in this movie. Looks like it's going to be Rey/Kylo.

User avatar
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997
Posts: 17733
Joined: 2003-11-12 01:10pm
Location: Classified
Contact:

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by Rogue 9 » 2018-01-16 06:16pm

... How the fuck did they even find 47 minutes of the film with no women in them?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician

APlayerHater
Padawan Learner
Posts: 157
Joined: 2015-02-18 11:31am

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by APlayerHater » 2018-01-16 06:24pm

I mean, it's an obvious joke.

There is a surprising amount of articles on the internet saying. "The Last Jedi is objectively good and you're a bad person if you don't like it." They keep writing these articles, it's getting ridiculous.

Guess I'm the idiot who keeps reading them and giving them clicks.

User avatar
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997
Posts: 17733
Joined: 2003-11-12 01:10pm
Location: Classified
Contact:

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by Rogue 9 » 2018-01-16 10:37pm

I know. I got blocked on Facebook by a longtime friend and liberal activist for daring to complain about the movie's blunders with technological continuity because evidently only closet Nazis don't like the movie. It's fucking bizarre.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician

User avatar
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10375
Joined: 2003-04-10 03:45pm
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by Crazedwraith » 2018-01-17 07:00am

APlayerHater wrote:
2018-01-16 06:11pm
You could do a cut of only white people. Would just involve removing the casino planet scenes
And all Poe's scenes.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

User avatar
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10444
Joined: 2002-07-07 04:57pm
Location: Sheffield, UK

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by Vendetta » 2018-01-17 07:18am

Rogue 9 wrote:
2018-01-16 10:37pm
I know. I got blocked on Facebook by a longtime friend and liberal activist for daring to complain about the movie's blunders with technological continuity because evidently only closet Nazis don't like the movie. It's fucking bizarre.
Maybe they were just shocked by how much of a massive fatnerd you were to complain about the technological continuity of Star Wars on facebook?

Patroklos
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2324
Joined: 2009-04-14 11:00am

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by Patroklos » 2018-01-17 07:51am

Rose and Pink should have been cut because they are ridiculous and unmemorable characters who serve no needed purpose. Rey shouldn't be removed, just fixed (along with every other character). Leia shouldn't be removed, just killed. A far more respectful ending to her character than watching her emotionless face indecipherable mumble dialogue for nostalgia fuzzies. You may like Carrie Fisher, but you know deep down her acting ability is non existent and she wouldn't get hired for a stool softener commercial based on her current (recently demised) skills. And before you get your panties in a twist Ford was little better (at least Leia got to change her clothes at least once in the past thirty years).

And of course the greatest female related travesty of these movies needs to be properly called out. Phasma, we hardly knew thee. And now we never will.
Crazedwraith wrote:
2018-01-17 07:00am
APlayerHater wrote:
2018-01-16 06:11pm
You could do a cut of only white people. Would just involve removing the casino planet scenes
And all Poe's scenes.
Nah, he rings the Hispanic bell if that counts for whatever kind of idiot keeps score of such things.

APlayerHater
Padawan Learner
Posts: 157
Joined: 2015-02-18 11:31am

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by APlayerHater » 2018-01-17 08:10am

Crazedwraith wrote:
2018-01-17 07:00am
APlayerHater wrote:
2018-01-16 06:11pm
You could do a cut of only white people. Would just involve removing the casino planet scenes
And all Poe's scenes.
To quote Wikipedia of all things.
White Guatemalans of European descent (also called Criollo) represent 18.5% of the population. The majority are descendants of German and Spanish settlers, followed by other Europeans like Italians, British, French, Swiss, Belgians, Dutch, Russians and Danish.
Poe's (Isaac's) ancestors are french. Also he was raised in Miami.

User avatar
CJvR
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2926
Joined: 2002-07-11 06:36pm
Location: K.P.E.V. 1

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by CJvR » 2018-01-17 02:53pm

Sidewinder wrote:
2018-01-16 04:46pm
Has anyone seen the "Chauvinist Cut"? Is it as bad as the critics say?
It is hardly as if it could be that much worse than the original.
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!

Q99
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1928
Joined: 2015-05-16 01:33pm

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by Q99 » 2018-01-17 03:07pm

Considering the Rey plot was probably the best part, and then Leia and Holdo also had their share of great moments... this seems to gut... everything in the film? Like, there's part of Canto Bright, and Luke doing some stuff for *no reason* now, and... that's about it.
Crazedwraith wrote:
2018-01-16 04:52pm
Not seen it but it being bad is obviously the point.

Is the whole "it's bad because it has the women" really a prominent complaint? Or is it just the defender's strawman of the critics?
It really is a complaint that a number of very sexist people use.

Remember, Star Trek Discovery, in addition to some legit criticism, had people saying that it was bad "because SJWs took over Star Trek," for having a black woman lead.

Heck, there was backlash against Fury Road too.

There being a sexist brigade who strongly objects to anything with too prominent of women has been a feature of the last several years of media. Honestly the 'this isn't real, it's just people strawmanning the critics!' of a couple posters is facepalm worthy. Have you been under a rock?
Last edited by Q99 on 2018-01-17 03:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10375
Joined: 2003-04-10 03:45pm
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by Crazedwraith » 2018-01-17 03:08pm

APlayerHater wrote:
2018-01-17 08:10am
Crazedwraith wrote:
2018-01-17 07:00am
APlayerHater wrote:
2018-01-16 06:11pm
You could do a cut of only white people. Would just involve removing the casino planet scenes
And all Poe's scenes.
To quote Wikipedia of all things.
White Guatemalans of European descent (also called Criollo) represent 18.5% of the population. The majority are descendants of German and Spanish settlers, followed by other Europeans like Italians, British, French, Swiss, Belgians, Dutch, Russians and Danish.
Poe's (Isaac's) ancestors are french. Also he was raised in Miami.
The wikipeida On what?

His wiki article states:
Óscar Isaac Hernández Estrada was born in Guatemala to a Guatemalan mother, María Eugenia Estrada Nicolle, and a Cuban pulmonologist father, Óscar Gonzalo Hernández-Cano.[9][10] His maternal grandfather was French.[11] Isaac's family settled in the U.S. when he was five months old, and he was raised in Miami, Florida.[12][13][14] He has described his evangelical Protestant upbringing as "very Christian".
So he's Cuban. As Patrolokus said he's hispanic/latin, I think? Not white in the european-american sense.


Not that it even matters that much.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

User avatar
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2588
Joined: 2005-03-13 06:52am
Location: South Australia

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by GuppyShark » 2018-01-17 03:18pm

Q99 wrote:
2018-01-17 03:07pm
Crazedwraith wrote:
2018-01-16 04:52pm
Not seen it but it being bad is obviously the point.

Is the whole "it's bad because it has the women" really a prominent complaint? Or is it just the defender's strawman of the critics?
It really is a complaint that a number of very sexist people use.

Remember, Star Trek Discovery, in addition to some legit criticism, had people saying that it was bad "because SJWs took over Star Trek," for having a black woman lead.

Heck, there was backlash against Fury Road too.

There being a sexist brigade who strongly objects to anything with too prominent of women has been a feature of the last several years of media. Honestly the 'this isn't real, it's just people strawmanning the critics!' of a couple posters is facepalm worthy. Have you been under a rock?
You've just made the point that everything with a woman in a leading role gets criticism from the league of misogynistic gentlemen, so pointing to that criticism as justification for why one movie in particular is getting flak makes little sense. Irredeemable people who can only be counted on to hate women aren't the entire audience. More importantly, they're not the people discussing it on this board.

User avatar
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10375
Joined: 2003-04-10 03:45pm
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by Crazedwraith » 2018-01-17 03:24pm

GuppyShark wrote:
2018-01-17 03:18pm
Q99 wrote:
2018-01-17 03:07pm
Crazedwraith wrote:
2018-01-16 04:52pm
Not seen it but it being bad is obviously the point.

Is the whole "it's bad because it has the women" really a prominent complaint? Or is it just the defender's strawman of the critics?
It really is a complaint that a number of very sexist people use.

Remember, Star Trek Discovery, in addition to some legit criticism, had people saying that it was bad "because SJWs took over Star Trek," for having a black woman lead.

Heck, there was backlash against Fury Road too.

There being a sexist brigade who strongly objects to anything with too prominent of women has been a feature of the last several years of media. Honestly the 'this isn't real, it's just people strawmanning the critics!' of a couple posters is facepalm worthy. Have you been under a rock?
You've just made the point that everything with a woman in a leading role gets criticism from the league of misogynistic gentlemen, so pointing to that criticism as justification for why one movie in particular is getting flak makes little sense. Irredeemable people who can only be counted on to hate women aren't the entire audience. More importantly, they're not the people discussing it on this board.
Yeah, my question was not 'are there really people sexist/racist enough to decry the film based on this?' Whuch yeah there are and have been for TFA and R1 as well as the other projects you mentioned.

My question was 'Is the proportion of people who don't like the movie, for this reason significant among everyone who dislikes this film?' So much, that it warrants this fan cut as a big 'take that' to them.
To the brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... sucks to be you - Peter David

Q99
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1928
Joined: 2015-05-16 01:33pm

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by Q99 » 2018-01-17 03:45pm

Crazedwraith wrote:
2018-01-17 03:24pm

Yeah, my question was not 'are there really people sexist/racist enough to decry the film based on this?' Whuch yeah there are and have been for TFA and R1 as well as the other projects you mentioned.

My question was 'Is the proportion of people who don't like the movie, for this reason significant among everyone who dislikes this film?' So much, that it warrants this fan cut as a big 'take that' to them.
Ah yea, a very different question- and my answer to that?

Oh heck no, this is not a huge portion, it is just a very vocal dedicated portion who make outsized noise but have yet to affect much of anything with their boycotts (maybe Ghostbusters, just by making the conversation around it so toxic it was hard for anyone to discuss it's actual strengths and weaknesses? Whether you wanted to criticize or say it wasn't that bad, the discussion was just a mess, I think we can all agree. But their attacks against even smaller movies like Fury Road did jack squat, and certainly didn't hurt Star Wars).

It doesn't take a ton of people to make a fancut.

I mean, we live in a world where some people decided to make an updated, more capitalist take on the Bible, and were serious about it.

The people making the cut probably think it'll be super-popular, but I'm betting 80% of views will be ironic ones wondering how stupid it'll be.

User avatar
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee
Posts: 2588
Joined: 2005-03-13 06:52am
Location: South Australia

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by GuppyShark » 2018-01-17 04:23pm

" Despite having every indication of being a work of satire, the cut has sparked a backlash from the progressive media who are lamenting what they see as an insurgence of men’s rights activists in the geek community."
Poe (Dameron's) Law?

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 30092
Joined: 2009-05-23 07:29pm

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by Simon_Jester » 2018-01-17 04:35pm

Q99 wrote:
2018-01-17 03:07pm
Considering the Rey plot was probably the best part, and then Leia and Holdo also had their share of great moments... this seems to gut... everything in the film? Like, there's part of Canto Bright, and Luke doing some stuff for *no reason* now, and... that's about it.
Crazedwraith wrote:
2018-01-16 04:52pm
Not seen it but it being bad is obviously the point.

Is the whole "it's bad because it has the women" really a prominent complaint? Or is it just the defender's strawman of the critics?
It really is a complaint that a number of very sexist people use.

Remember, Star Trek Discovery, in addition to some legit criticism, had people saying that it was bad "because SJWs took over Star Trek," for having a black woman lead.

Heck, there was backlash against Fury Road too.

There being a sexist brigade who strongly objects to anything with too prominent of women has been a feature of the last several years of media. Honestly the 'this isn't real, it's just people strawmanning the critics!' of a couple posters is facepalm worthy. Have you been under a rock?
The sexist brigade is clearly a thing, not a fiction. Fortunately, as you note it seems to be a pretty weak thing.

Personally, I do hope we can continue to discuss the character of Rey with a minimum of misogyny, and without misogynist bozos showing up. And likewise with both sides making a reasonable assumption of good faith that Rey's supporters are motivated by factors other than "I'm a feminist so I have to support all female characters unconditionally and uncritically," and correspondingly that Rey's critics are motivated by factors other than misogyny, unless they give specific reason to believe otherwise.

Part of keeping a debate from becoming toxic is refusing to allow yourself to be poisoned. Hopefully we can continue to refuse to be poisoned.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov

User avatar
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997
Posts: 17733
Joined: 2003-11-12 01:10pm
Location: Classified
Contact:

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by Rogue 9 » 2018-01-17 06:16pm

Vendetta wrote:
2018-01-17 07:18am
Rogue 9 wrote:
2018-01-16 10:37pm
I know. I got blocked on Facebook by a longtime friend and liberal activist for daring to complain about the movie's blunders with technological continuity because evidently only closet Nazis don't like the movie. It's fucking bizarre.
Maybe they were just shocked by how much of a massive fatnerd you were to complain about the technological continuity of Star Wars on facebook?
:roll: The movie goes way the fuck out of its way to break suspension of disbelief on that front, basically all the way through. That is a legitimate storytelling problem.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician

Q99
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 1928
Joined: 2015-05-16 01:33pm

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by Q99 » 2018-01-17 06:37pm

Rogue 9 wrote:
2018-01-17 06:16pm
:roll: The movie goes way the fuck out of its way to break suspension of disbelief on that front, basically all the way through. That is a legitimate storytelling problem.
Hyperspace ramming is a viable tactic! One bomber can kill a dreadnaught and they have to 'drop' bombs!

APlayerHater
Padawan Learner
Posts: 157
Joined: 2015-02-18 11:31am

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by APlayerHater » 2018-01-18 04:25pm

Q99 wrote:
2018-01-17 06:37pm
Rogue 9 wrote:
2018-01-17 06:16pm
:roll: The movie goes way the fuck out of its way to break suspension of disbelief on that front, basically all the way through. That is a legitimate storytelling problem.
Hyperspace ramming is a viable tactic! One bomber can kill a dreadnaught and they have to 'drop' bombs!
If Poe can shoot ALL the guns off the dreadnought, why not just shoot the two big guns off the bottom of it and call it a day? At the very least, he took the ship out of commission for a while.

streetad
Padawan Learner
Posts: 216
Joined: 2011-06-12 01:02pm
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by streetad » 2018-01-18 06:06pm

I find it utterly bizarre that we live in a world where a joke cut of a film made by a troll with far too much time on his hands has been given so much exposure by the mainstream media that the director and actors feel the need to publically comment on it.

People have projected their politics onto this film to such an extent that they just cant brook any criticism of it at all.

User avatar
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz
Posts: 28875
Joined: 2002-07-19 01:08am
Location: Sydney Australia

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by Vympel » 2018-01-18 06:29pm

APlayerHater wrote:
2018-01-18 04:25pm
If Poe can shoot ALL the guns off the dreadnought, why not just shoot the two big guns off the bottom of it and call it a day? At the very least, he took the ship out of commission for a while.
Like there's no difference between guns barely larger than Poe's fighter, and guns that are almost literally the size of a Star Destroyer.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 14563
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-01-18 06:48pm

Q99 wrote:
2018-01-17 03:07pm
Considering the Rey plot was probably the best part, and then Leia and Holdo also had their share of great moments... this seems to gut... everything in the film? Like, there's part of Canto Bright, and Luke doing some stuff for *no reason* now, and... that's about it.
I love Admiral Holdo, and her scene with Leia.

And yeah, cut the women from the film, and you end up with an utterly incoherent mishmash. Which is a rather poignant metaphore, really.
It really is a complaint that a number of very sexist people use.

Remember, Star Trek Discovery, in addition to some legit criticism, had people saying that it was bad "because SJWs took over Star Trek," for having a black woman lead.
This happens every time a woman or minority is cast in a traditionally white/male role. The Usual Suspects immediately assert that "the SJWs are taking over" and that they were cast for political reasons, usually without offering much, or any, evidence that that is the case. The implication being, of course, that if a woman or minority got the role, they must have got it due to some sinister agenda, that they could not possibly have gotten it on merit, but must have stolen it from a more deserving white man. Ultimately, it is based on the presumption that on a level playing field, a white man will always win, so if someone else wins, its because of a sinister agenda to persecute and cheat white men.
Heck, there was backlash against Fury Road too.
IIRC, there was even a shooting at a theatre showing Fury Road.
There being a sexist brigade who strongly objects to anything with too prominent of women has been a feature of the last several years of media. Honestly the 'this isn't real, it's just people strawmanning the critics!' of a couple posters is facepalm worthy. Have you been under a rock?
Exactly.

Its "racism/sexism is over" all over again.

The usual victims of racism and sexism generally don't think its over- only those who wish to evade acknowledging the problem.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

Post Reply