(SD.net Database) Star Wars From A Certain Point Of View

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

(SD.net Database) Star Wars From A Certain Point Of View

Post by DarthPooky »

So I finished From a certain point of view and it was great. That’s not to say all the stories were good but I think that’s is a strengths. If you don’t like the one your reading the next one might be better.

So this quote is from the story ‘The Trigger’ and is in regards to the vs debate.
Aphra reached out with her hand, activating the tool. Lights on, but silent. Her hand touched his, holding that eye contact, knowing if he looked down and saw her tool near his blaster, it would all be over...
“It’s okay,” she said. “I forgive you.”
He pulled the trigger. A click.
Aphra’s knee went toward a not-nearly-armored-enough groin. As he reeled, she pulled the blaster from his hand.
“You can always induce a jam with the Imperial-model blasters if you’ve got the right frequency. Which I do.” She pointed his own gun at him. “Reboots after a couple of seconds.”
There was a low hum as the gun reactivated.
Yep blasters do in fact operate on frequencies which means that’s Borg could adapt to them. Of course I get the impression that’s troops in Star Wars would just keep shouting and there Shields down with strait fire power.

Anyways what did you guys think of the book.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: (SD.net Database) Star Wars From A Certain Point Of View

Post by Lord Revan »

DarthPooky wrote: 2017-11-17 01:52am So I finished From a certain point of view and it was great. That’s not to say all the stories were good but I think that’s is a strengths. If you don’t like the one your reading the next one might be better.

So this quote is from the story ‘The Trigger’ and is in regards to the vs debate.
Aphra reached out with her hand, activating the tool. Lights on, but silent. Her hand touched his, holding that eye contact, knowing if he looked down and saw her tool near his blaster, it would all be over...
“It’s okay,” she said. “I forgive you.”
He pulled the trigger. A click.
Aphra’s knee went toward a not-nearly-armored-enough groin. As he reeled, she pulled the blaster from his hand.
“You can always induce a jam with the Imperial-model blasters if you’ve got the right frequency. Which I do.” She pointed his own gun at him. “Reboots after a couple of seconds.”
There was a low hum as the gun reactivated.
Yep blasters do in fact operate on frequencies which means that’s Borg could adapt to them. Of course I get the impression that’s troops in Star Wars would just keep shouting and there Shields down with strait fire power.

Anyways what did you guys think of the book.
something in the blaster function has a frequency that can be exploited to "jam" it, that line says nothing about how the bolt works, in fact we don't even know if that's a function of blasters in general or just imperial ones.

For borg to adapt to something the damaging portion of the weapon must be one that's frequency based (and even then there's limits as to what the borg can adapt to). For example the borg couldn't adapt to a railgun using alternating current as part of its function even though part of the weapon uses frequencies.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

It's a story collection from a whole bunch of authors, right? Is it even canon or is it basically glorified fanfiction?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Oh, look: the complete absence of yet another "magic bullet" for the vs debate.

DP, Borg adaptation is a passive defense, not an active weapon. Could the Borg transmit a jamming signal that prevents some stage of Imperial blaster operation? Sure, I guess they could now, but then so could the Rebels (who are more familiar with the operation of the technology, creation, and use of blaster tech), yet they don't, and never have. Shame, would have really changed the timing of the Rebellion. Or Separatist's effort a generation before. Or Sith wars a thousand years before that....

Until this story (after who-knows-how-many episodes or movies of techie-gadgets unexpectedly jamming cell phones or bomb-detonator-remote signals in popular media/fiction), no one needed this gimmick to not get shot by a blaster. Whodathunkit? It's almost like Trek has had an influence on our culture with routine "treknobabble" deux ex solutions to dead ends! Yay! More crappy writing/problem solving!
Just going to bitch about the writing for Borg for a second, feel free to just skip this:
Granted, the speed of Borg analysis being what it has to be to adapt and implement that adaptation with the speed they do, electronic and computer warfare should be their thing. They should be jamming the targeting systems of Federation ships, infecting Federation computers (which are wired into everything, including power, sensors, weapons, life support, etc.) and destroying the "extra ship of the week" through induced venting of habitable command spaces after cutting failsafes and main power. Oh, look! turn power back on, throw up some security force-fields, re-pressurize, and the Borg have a fully-intact Federation vessel, with captive non-combatants including children! But that would make Borg less lurching Frankenstein's monster/zombies, and more teen-slasher-flick baddie calling from inside the house ship! And the Federation would have to actually out-think them, instead of just writing a better random-number generator for their approved-by-James-T-Kirk-phasers.
Forty years. Forty stories.
In honor of the fortieth anniversary of Star Wars: A New Hope, this collection features Star Wars stories by bestselling authors, trendsetting artists, and treasured voices from Star Wars literary history. More than forty authors have lent their unique vision to forty "scenes," each retelling a different moment from the original Star Wars film, but with a twist: Every scene is told from the point of view of a background character. Whether it's the X-wing pilots who helped Luke destroy the Death Star or the stormtroopers who never quite could find the droids they were looking for, Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View places the classic movie in a whole new perspective, and celebrates the influence and legacy of the unparalleled cultural phenomenon, Star Wars.
Dunno if it's canon. Kinda strikes me with this write-up as "Star Wars-inspired-we-used-to-call-this-EU-at-best".
But, hey, the authors all donated their work:
All of the authors have forgone being compensated for their writing. The book's proceeds are being donated to First Book, a nonprofit organization that provides books and other educational material to teachers and children's organizations. Penguin Random House has also donated $100,000 to First Book, and Lucasfilm donated 100,000 children's books, valued at $1 million, as well.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

It's a story collection from a whole bunch of authors, right? Is it even canon or is it basically glorified fanfiction?
Yes it’s canon and the last Chapter is about the Whills and is crazy meta. Just wanted to throw that out there.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

We should have convinced Publius to submit :)