New Vehicles TLJ Official Info *Spoilers*

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Re: New Vehicles TLJ Official Info *Spoilers*

Post by Rhadamantus »

Spoiler
The Supremacy has to have awful fighting power for a ship that is 60 km wide. It is ~20 times the size of the Executor, and has maybe 3 times as much ability to take hits, from the Raddus, which, given how shitty the Executor's class was at that, is disheartening.
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Rhadamantus wrote: 2017-12-21 01:08am Spoiler
The Supremacy has to have awful fighting power for a ship that is 60 km wide. It is ~20 times the size of the Executor, and has maybe 3 times as much ability to take hits, from the Raddus, which, given how shitty the Executor's class was at that, is disheartening.
Where are you getting these figures from?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

Vympel wrote: 2017-12-28 12:39am
I was guesstimating for the volumes, and it has 3 times as much ability to take hits from the old scene where 3 star destroyers crashed into the Executor and it was unharmed (which is however non canon).
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
SAAA
Redshirt

Post by SAAA »

Rhadamantus wrote: 2017-12-28 03:00am
Vympel wrote: 2017-12-28 12:39am
I was guesstimating for the volumes, and it has 3 times as much ability to take hits from the old scene where 3 star destroyers crashed into the Executor and it was unharmed (which is however non canon).
They should have somehow adressed that point, while the scene looked absolutely stunning it's much worst from a continuity point of view than say Starkiller shot being visible from orbit of far off planets. You can suspend disbelief on the latter, not on this move: it affects all previous space battles...

I'm left wondering if the story group had anything to say about it during production, like it completely invalidates the point of big ships being built at all, if not in previous works at least in future ones. Everyone will come and say: why don't they ram it?? Ram works wonder as seen in RO and TLJ!

I've even speculated my theory here on why it was possible, works better in my mind canon than any other technobabble explanation they may come up with in the future.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Rhadamantus wrote: 2017-12-28 03:00am I was guesstimating for the volumes, and it has 3 times as much ability to take hits from the old scene where 3 star destroyers crashed into the Executor and it was unharmed (which is however non canon).
Well yeah, 'non-canon' is a pretty big proviso.
SAAA wrote: 2017-12-28 08:40am They should have somehow adressed that point, while the scene looked absolutely stunning it's much worst from a continuity point of view than say Starkiller shot being visible from orbit of far off planets. You can suspend disbelief on the latter, not on this move: it affects all previous space battles...

I'm left wondering if the story group had anything to say about it during production, like it completely invalidates the point of big ships being built at all, if not in previous works at least in future ones. Everyone will come and say: why don't they ram it?? Ram works wonder as seen in RO and TLJ!

I've even speculated my theory here on why it was possible, works better in my mind canon than any other technobabble explanation they may come up with in the future.
I'm sure it'll be addressed in the novelisation or some such at a later date. This is not the sort of stuff someone writing a movie script would ever worry about.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Throwing out all the rules and establishing that any tense situation in the future could be solved via ass-pull is very much something a script writer should worry about.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Most targets aren't as big and un-dodgy as the Supremacy. Presumably if a wall of turbolaser bolts (or fighters) got between the Supremacy and the hypering Raddus, the Raddus would've similarly atomized before getting close to the Supremacy. Maybe the FO ships were focusing their reactors on engines + weapons (in contrast to the Raddus and other Resistance ships' reactor diversion to engines + shields), so the dropped shields contributed to how techno-babble partially-hyperdimensionalized shrapnel fucked them up.

In Rogue One we see Vader's ISD, in full combat mode, with presumably weapons + shields focused reactors, unconcerned with getting in the path of hypering Rebel ships.

(Presumably the collided ISDs in Rogue One suffered from, IDK, mis-angled shields. The still-functional ISD might not have concentrated/angled shields to the side since it was working in tandem with the other ISD, and the other ISD's bulk prevented enemy fire from coming from the flanks...)
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Some things I've been thinking about with the hyperspace ram, and why it hasn't been done before:

From what I recall, the Raddus engaged its hyperdrive from well within the Supremacy's effective gunnery range on it. In a more conventional battle, the closing the range enough to reliably ram at the start of a hyperspace jump may put a ship in such danger that it is highly unlikely it will get close enough. As with real life naval ships, ramming can be devastating, but you'll be fully exposed to gunfire on the way in. This one only worked because the Supremacy's guns were focused on the transports.

Secondly, charging the hyperdrive for a jump may require most of ship's reactor output, so its shields will be offline and thus easily destroyed. Again, since the Raddus wasn't being focused on, Holdo got away with doing this.
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

Does anyone have any information about those new heavy Scout walkers
Bullets always have the right of away