New Vehicles TLJ Official Info *Spoilers*

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Re: New Vehicles TLJ Official Info *Spoilers*

Post by Marko Dash »

from seeing the pictures i've always figured Conqueror as more of a 'tank destroyer' type ship than a bombardment weapon. made to quickly kill (or at least overwhelm the shields of) hostile capital ships without a drawn out duel, but i've never see/read whatever comicbook or whatever it comes from
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

Marko Dash wrote: 2017-10-06 11:23pm from seeing the pictures i've always figured Conqueror as more of a 'tank destroyer' type ship than a bombardment weapon. made to quickly kill (or at least overwhelm the shields of) hostile capital ships without a drawn out duel, but i've never see/read whatever comicbook or whatever it comes from
It came from the Star Wars role-playing game
Bullets always have the right of away
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Perhaps someone could clarify something for me - given the size of some of the larger ships, and given the line from TESB that the Hoth shield could "withstand any bombardment", how do we reconcile that these extremely large ships don't have shields of similar strength? I realize it may be a case of the "no limits fallacy", and perhaps what they were really implying in TESB is that trying to take out the Hoth shield from orbit would take an overly long period of time to accomplish, but it still makes me wonder...
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Hoth was most likely an issue of them not being able to take the shield down without annihalating Echo Base, which would've made recovering Luke alive a tad bit complicated. Also their bombardment options were sort of limited to the ships they brought the largest of which was Executor
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Batman wrote: 2017-10-07 10:20pm Hoth was most likely an issue of them not being able to take the shield down without annihalating Echo Base, which would've made recovering Luke alive a tad bit complicated. Also their bombardment options were sort of limited to the ships they brought the largest of which was Executor
But why that particular phrasing? Why not say "we can't bring down the shield without obliterating the base"? Is it a bit of a retcon? Maybe planetary shields don't work on the same principles, and won't work on a ship for some reason?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Why bother pointing out something everybody involved knew? The point of the operation wasn't to take out Echo Base, it was to capture Luke.
And Hoth didn't HAVE a planetary shield because they, you know, cover the entire planet. Hoth had a 'theatre' shield which is why the Empire could land outside it and attack on the ground
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Batman wrote: 2017-10-07 10:44pmThe point of the operation wasn't to take out Echo Base, it was to capture Luke.
Why would the rebels know that? The seemed pretty confident that the shield could protect the base from a fleet of star destroyers and necessitate a ground assault.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Planetary shield generators have to do one thing. Starships that are of any use have to do lots of things. Mass for mass the shield generator is probably dozens of times more effective st build a shield generator than a similar sized starship.

More hard sci-fi the shield gererator also base a planetary mass worth of heat sink, a ship has to either radiate everything or sink it inside its own mass.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

We also never heard a single qualifier from anyone on either side of the battle supporting the assertion that the Imperial fleet could have penetrated the shield so long as they'd been willing to destroy the base.

Rieekan immediately ordered preparations for a ground assault after rerouting all power to the shield. Veers then reported to Vader that the shield could deflect any bombardment. I don't see much room for nuance there.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

So maybe I was wrong about Death Squadron having the firepower to take down the shield only at the risk of annihilating Echo base. Doesn't change the fact that 'any' bombardment, as brought up by biostem, IS an extrapolation to infinity. Both Veers and Rieekan knew the imperial strength available and that it couldn't hack it. Why belabour the 'with available forces'?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

My main point was to counter biostem's 'Why don't they install the super-invulnerable Hoth style shields on those bigass starships'
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Like Patroklos said, planetary shields would have certain inherent advantages over their shipborne counterparts.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

IIRC, and old Legends source stated that the power generator for Echo Base used to be the guts of the main power plant of a Star Battlecruiser, making it already potent, with all of that power available for the shield (and a single ion cannon) it is not surprising that it could withstand anything Death Squadron could throw at it.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Admiral Drason
Jedi Knight

Post by Admiral Drason »

So it looks like the First Order has newer models of AT-ATs and AT-STs.
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn
So Say We All
Night Stalkers Don't Quit
HAB member
RIP Pegasus. You died like you lived, killing toasters
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

Can we get the zoomed up pictures?
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

PhoenixKnig wrote: 2017-10-10 11:25am Can we get the zoomed up pictures?
Edit: Topps have an picture of something I might call 'AT-AT/fo' on trading cards
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

*looks more closely at the hanger scene* could the AT-AT/fo on top of dropships
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

new pics on the FO ships
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

wait is this considered dead now?
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

How about we let the movie get released before declaring this thread tits up? For my money, I'm on information black out until I see TLJ because I don't want some numbnuts to spoil any of the myriad revelations I've heard about.
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

ok I'm fine w/ that
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

Oh yeah, it be back after you seen it
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

This thread is spoiler free, right?
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Rhadamantus wrote: 2017-12-20 11:36pm This thread is spoiler free, right?
No, read the thread title. :)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rhadamantus wrote: 2017-12-20 11:36pm This thread is spoiler free, right?
Yes, there may be spoilers as the machines and ships are discussed, as sometimes what they are shown doing is important to what they are.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet