New Obi-Wan movie shows lack of creativity at Disney

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

New Obi-Wan movie shows lack of creativity at Disney

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Apparently there is now an Obi-Wan movie in development. There are two main points worth discussing here, and neither are exactly positive.

The first problem is about timing. Assuming this takes place between ROTS and ANH, it either leaves Obi-Wan on Tattoine or means that he abandons his responsibility. There actually was a moderately interesting book in the old EU that featured Obi-Wan on Tatooine, but such a story would never work for a Star Wars movie. The only good option that occurs to me is if the movie uses a split narriative, in which most of the the action takes place in a different context through flashbacks. Though that would be unprescedented for a Star Wars movie and rather unlikely.

The second and worse problem is that this indicates an extreme lack of creativity and an unwillingness to take risks in Star Wars as a setting. When is the new EU going to get something like KOTOR that manages to be entirely different and yet extremely familiar at the same time? Everything doesn't have to be about the Skywalkers or connected to the OT. It looks like Rogue One is the closest to an original Star Wars movie we are going to get for awhile.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: New Obi-Wan movie shows lack of creativity at Disney

Post by Batman »

What the everloving fuck are you talking about? ANH, even back when it was merely called 'Star Wars', established that Kenobi completely stayed out of Luke's life. Unless you can point to some threats he averted or probes by Vader or the Emperor he deflected while the movies and the EU weren't looking, until the fateful day he met Luke when Luke was chasing R2 he did jack all to affect Luke's life. What responsibility would Kenobi be abandoning by continuing to not affect Luke's life in any way from a different location?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

^Very much this.

There's a big chunk of years to fill. Frankly, as long as they don't try and tie Obi-Wan into the DS plans storyline of Rogue One/ANH, they can do what they like and I'll stil go see it, especially if they do get Ewan MacGregor back in the role.

It's a big damn universe that they can run with. And while the "stand alone" films do, well, stand alone like Rogue One, there is at this point (IMO) very little point in setting them anywhere other than in the PT/OT timeframe - too much of the film would be needed on world-building to make it enjoyable or dramatic, which was a problem TFA faced.

There are literally countless cool story ideas you could use for an Obi-Wan film set between ROTS and ANH, even some that don't require him to walk away from whatever "responsibility" he might have watching over Luke - perhaps he's dealing with some threat from the Empire that's investigating the young lad, or sometihng about Jabba or someone else.

Basically, how about you wait until some actual plot details are provided before jumping to fucking conclusions about a film? At this point all we know about it is a) they're working on it and b) it will involve Obi-Wan. That's precisely fuck-all to base criticism on, especially a "lack of creativity" criticism, when as I said there are 20+ years or history they can work in with no EU bullshit to tie them down.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Batman wrote: 2017-08-19 05:56pm What the everloving fuck are you talking about? ANH, even back when it was merely called 'Star Wars', established that Kenobi completely stayed out of Luke's life. Unless you can point to some threats he averted or probes by Vader or the Emperor he deflected while the movies and the EU weren't looking, until the fateful day he met Luke when Luke was chasing R2 he did jack all to affect Luke's life. What responsibility would Kenobi be abandoning by continuing to not affect Luke's life in any way from a different location?
Obi-wan was there primarily to watch over Luke. And to hide, but he could have done that anywhere. Even if they never interacted it's implied he was keeping an eye on Luke from a distance and was ready to intervene if it looked like he was genuinely in danger. It wouldn't have been constant surveillance, but presumably a lot of the time he spent meditating he was listening for warnings about threats to Luke. And if nothing else I expect he Force Suggested a couple of old-timers in town who perked up when they heard the name "Skywalker" or something like that.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2017-08-19 06:50pm ^Very much this.

There's a big chunk of years to fill. Frankly, as long as they don't try and tie Obi-Wan into the DS plans storyline of Rogue One/ANH, they can do what they like and I'll stil go see it, especially if they do get Ewan MacGregor back in the role.

It's a big damn universe that they can run with. And while the "stand alone" films do, well, stand alone like Rogue One, there is at this point (IMO) very little point in setting them anywhere other than in the PT/OT timeframe - too much of the film would be needed on world-building to make it enjoyable or dramatic, which was a problem TFA faced.

There are literally countless cool story ideas you could use for an Obi-Wan film set between ROTS and ANH, even some that don't require him to walk away from whatever "responsibility" he might have watching over Luke - perhaps he's dealing with some threat from the Empire that's investigating the young lad, or sometihng about Jabba or someone else.

Basically, how about you wait until some actual plot details are provided before jumping to fucking conclusions about a film? At this point all we know about it is a) they're working on it and b) it will involve Obi-Wan. That's precisely fuck-all to base criticism on, especially a "lack of creativity" criticism, when as I said there are 20+ years or history they can work in with no EU bullshit to tie them down.
I find this idea rather odd, that you can't introduce some major change like a different era in a stand-alone film because their won't be time to develop it (a similar objection was raised to the idea of introducing a new antagonist in a hypothetical Voyager film over in the Star Trek forum, as I recall).

I'm going to repeat here what I said their: that this is a problem every first film in a franchise has to deal with- establishing a setting while still making an interesting film.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Batman wrote: 2017-08-19 05:56pm What the everloving fuck are you talking about? ANH, even back when it was merely called 'Star Wars', established that Kenobi completely stayed out of Luke's life. Unless you can point to some threats he averted or probes by Vader or the Emperor he deflected while the movies and the EU weren't looking, until the fateful day he met Luke when Luke was chasing R2 he did jack all to affect Luke's life. What responsibility would Kenobi be abandoning by continuing to not affect Luke's life in any way from a different location?
Luke clearly knew who he was, which indicates some form of contact. Owen clealy wasn't a fan of Kenobi, and did everything he could to keep him away, but Obi-Wan's most important duty was to protect Luke. Nothing else he could have left Tatooine to do would have mattered as much as insuring that Luke remain alive until he was old enough to become a threat to Vader. Especially given that Leia had the relatively high risk position of being a Galactic Senator associated with the Rebel Alliance who could thus never overtly develop Force powers. Even using the Force extensively could potentially bring inquisitors to Tatooine, as they were attuned to this to some extent.
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2017-08-19 06:50pm It's a big damn universe that they can run with. And while the "stand alone" films do, well, stand alone like Rogue One, there is at this point (IMO) very little point in setting them anywhere other than in the PT/OT timeframe - too much of the film would be needed on world-building to make it enjoyable or dramatic, which was a problem TFA faced.
For a big damn universe that has conflicts lasting millennia, they seem rather hung up on the same 30 year period, with an even smaller cast. The problem with TFA was that it had virtually no worldbuilding, and what it did have made little sense, not that it was a different era. What makes Star Wars special is the universe itself, not that everything has to be about the OT era.
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-08-19 11:15pm I find this idea rather odd, that you can't introduce some major change like a different era in a stand-alone film because their won't be time to develop it (a similar objection was raised to the idea of introducing a new antagonist in a hypothetical Voyager film over in the Star Trek forum, as I recall).

I'm going to repeat here what I said their: that this is a problem every first film in a franchise has to deal with- establishing a setting while still making an interesting film.
Though sequels have the opposite problem, trying to do something new while still feeling like the same story as the last one. Most bad sequels are such because they are unwilling to do anything new, which is something SW films are going to have to get away from sooner or later if they want to continue to be interesting.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Ralin wrote: 2017-08-19 11:00pm
Obi-wan was there primarily to watch over Luke. And to hide, but he could have done that anywhere. Even if they never interacted it's implied he was keeping an eye on Luke from a distance and was ready to intervene if it looked like he was genuinely in danger. It wouldn't have been constant surveillance, but presumably a lot of the time he spent meditating he was listening for warnings about threats to Luke. And if nothing else I expect he Force Suggested a couple of old-timers in town who perked up when they heard the name "Skywalker" or something like that.
Watch over Luke like being 100% oblivious to the fact that the Empire's top Jedi strong man was in orbit overhead desperately seeking an object that was currently in Luke's possession?

Its one thing to not react due to Vader's presence alone so you don't actually lead Vade to Luke. But once there was already something leading Vader to Luke anyway he should have been doing something about that. What if Luke had never gone to see Obi Wan in the first place? What if he never said anything to R2D2 about him even existing? Luke would have just been sitting there with a giant Vader magnet on him.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Patroklos wrote: 2017-08-20 04:24am Its one thing to not react due to Vader's presence alone so you don't actually lead Vade to Luke. But once there was already something leading Vader to Luke anyway he should have been doing something about that. What if Luke had never gone to see Obi Wan in the first place? What if he never said anything to R2D2 about him even existing? Luke would have just been sitting there with a giant Vader magnet on him.
Yeah, it's almost like Obi-wan had literal psychic powers that let him magically predict the future and guided him to the exact right moment to step in and make contact with Luke.

More on topic, I don't think temporarily leaving the planet is necessarily abandoning his duty to watch over Luke? Like, we all seem to agree that it was probably a fairly long-range guardianship. Sure he'd need a good reason, but if, say, he got a message from Mace Windu saying that he's alive and trying to make contact or Jabba found out who he was and blackmailed him into dealing with a rogue Nightsister turned budding crime boss who was fucking with Jabba's operations or whatever I don't think it would be that out of character for Obi-wan to assume Luke can go a week without getting himself killed.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Ralin wrote: 2017-08-20 04:36am
Patroklos wrote: 2017-08-20 04:24am Its one thing to not react due to Vader's presence alone so you don't actually lead Vade to Luke. But once there was already something leading Vader to Luke anyway he should have been doing something about that. What if Luke had never gone to see Obi Wan in the first place? What if he never said anything to R2D2 about him even existing? Luke would have just been sitting there with a giant Vader magnet on him.
Yeah, it's almost like Obi-wan had literal psychic powers that let him magically predict the future and guided him to the exact right moment to step in and make contact with Luke.

More on topic, I don't think temporarily leaving the planet is necessarily abandoning his duty to watch over Luke? Like, we all seem to agree that it was probably a fairly long-range guardianship. Sure he'd need a good reason, but if, say, he got a message from Mace Windu saying that he's alive and trying to make contact or Jabba found out who he was and blackmailed him into dealing with a rogue Nightsister turned budding crime boss who was fucking with Jabba's operations or whatever I don't think it would be that out of character for Obi-wan to assume Luke can go a week without getting himself killed.
This. We know that Jedi have an ability to sense danger. Obi-Wan doesn't have to physically monitor Luke 24/7 to protect him. His Aunt and Uncle are doing a decent job of protecting him as well.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

ray245 wrote: 2017-08-20 04:54am
Ralin wrote: 2017-08-20 04:36am

This. We know that Jedi have an ability to sense danger. Obi-Wan doesn't have to physically monitor Luke 24/7 to protect him. His Aunt and Uncle are doing a decent job of protecting him as well.
Indeed the "keep your survival a secret" part would cause more issues then the "protect Luke" part, should Obi-wan leave Tattooine, but even that's not an issue that's impossible to overcome.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Obi-wan had a simple mission: Take Luke to Owen/Beru, then go into hiding until it's time to train Luke and/or Leia. (Revenge of the Sith was vague if the plan was to train them both or just Luke).

So, realistically, Obi-wan should have stayed put unless something really out of the ordinary happened.

He was in a good position to keep an eye on one of the twins, in an out of the way area that no one gave two shits except for the Hutts and scum of the galaxy. Perfect hiding spot for a Jedi Knight.

Also, thanks to Star Wars Rebels, we KNOW that Kenobi knew what was going on in the wider galaxy. We also know he was was not aggressive at all when Darth Maul showed up, UNTIL Maul appeared to figure out why Kenobi was there. THEN Kenobi busts out the Lightsaber.

BUT....
I can see, under the right circumstances, Kenobi going somewhere near by. What it could be that wouldn't also result in Vader showing up, however, is beyond me.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

It's long been my theory that Obi-Wan ventured away from Tatooine from time to time in the years between ROTS and ANH.

That could nicely explain why he knows exactly where to hire a pilot and how to identify short-range Imperial fighters on sight. Even his statement that he's "getting too old for this sort of thing" always struck me as an allusion to some recent adventure during which he may have noticed how much of a toll the years and mileage have taken on him.

He may have had dozens of off-world adventures, for all we know. So long as he always returns to Tatooine in the end, where's the problem?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Adam Reynolds wrote: 2017-08-19 05:40pmThe second and worse problem is that this indicates an extreme lack of creativity and an unwillingness to take risks in Star Wars as a setting. When is the new EU going to get something like KOTOR that manages to be entirely different and yet extremely familiar at the same time? Everything doesn't have to be about the Skywalkers or connected to the OT. It looks like Rogue One is the closest to an original Star Wars movie we are going to get for awhile.
A Star Wars film is still a huge event of a thing, and as such there's no real incentive for Lucasfilm to take risks with a film that will cost hundreds of millions and potentially make a billion. It seemed as though the best reviewed bit of Rogue One was Vader's thirty seconds, so I can see why they're back to familiar characters.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Disney isn't doing Star Wars to be creative, they're doing it to make money. And as long as reusing established characters lets them do that, they'll go on doing so.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Batman wrote: 2017-08-20 11:11pmDisney isn't doing Star Wars to be creative, they're doing it to make money. And as long as reusing established characters lets them do that, they'll go on doing so.
It looks to me as thought the saga films that are coming out every two years will be the ones which establish new characters (with the assistance of the OT lot for transitional purposes) for the younger generation of fans. Conversely, the standalone films will be more targeted at the previous generation who still want the OT and its characters in one form or another.

Maybe as new characters assets become established, one of the standalone films will be the adventures of Poe Dameron or something.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Gandalf wrote: 2017-08-20 10:38pm
Adam Reynolds wrote: 2017-08-19 05:40pmThe second and worse problem is that this indicates an extreme lack of creativity and an unwillingness to take risks in Star Wars as a setting. When is the new EU going to get something like KOTOR that manages to be entirely different and yet extremely familiar at the same time? Everything doesn't have to be about the Skywalkers or connected to the OT. It looks like Rogue One is the closest to an original Star Wars movie we are going to get for awhile.
A Star Wars film is still a huge event of a thing, and as such there's no real incentive for Lucasfilm to take risks with a film that will cost hundreds of millions and potentially make a billion. It seemed as though the best reviewed bit of Rogue One was Vader's thirty seconds, so I can see why they're back to familiar characters.
To be fair, I would argue that Vader's scene (well, the second one, during the battle, not his brief appearance in his base on Mustafar) was legitimately the best scene of the film, though not simply because Vader was in it.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Vader having a one sided fight against rebel troopers was always going to be a highlight of the movie, but that doesn't necessarily mean people want to see Vader come back espousing dialogue as he horrendously did with Krenic either.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

I still think that avoiding exploring ancient history in Star Wars is a huge waste.

Even if they don't use the setting for the "Knights of the Old Republic" established in various video games and traditional roleplaying game material, there's film-level canonical statements in Episode I about the Jedi and Sith having clashed millennia before. Let's see some of that.

Conversely, if they do use the pre-existing KotOR material in a film, I believe that any slim chance it has of failing to be a huge hit (both critical and box office) would be due to poor execution of the filmmaking craft, rather than a problem with the backdrop "time period" setting.

It's pretty simple but solid setting, that was quite deliberately designed to include all the usual Star Wars stuff (giant spaceships, zippy little one-man fighter spaceships, lightsabers, the Force, blasters, etc).

And the odds of poor execution can be minimized by helming it with a good director and giving him the par-for-the-course budget, of course.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

It always makes me laugh when someone demands novelty from a 40 year old franchise. The creative part was 1976, dude. Everything since then has been a dollar chase until Lucas could finally hit the big cash-in and retire.

You want fresh, keep handing money to young filmmakers until one of them pays off.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Lagmonster wrote: 2017-08-23 11:45am It always makes me laugh when someone demands novelty from a 40 year old franchise. The creative part was 1976, dude. Everything since then has been a dollar chase until Lucas could finally hit the big cash-in and retire.

You want fresh, keep handing money to young filmmakers until one of them pays off.
I disagree with this.

Just because you are working in a preexisting franchise, or trying to turn a profit, does not mean that creativity is impossible.

Indeed, I would argue that thematically and plot-wise, ESB and RotJ are arguably more original than the original '76 film, because while the '76 film is a fairly standard, albeit remarkably well-executed, heroic fantasy-type story (aside from the being set in space, anyway), the subsequent films of the OT transform the story by introducing the concept of Vader as Luke's father, which leads to the Vader redemption plot, and takes the simple story of good vs. evil, hero slays villain and transforms it into a story about trying to save the villain instead.

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Lagmonster wrote: 2017-08-23 11:45am It always makes me laugh when someone demands novelty from a 40 year old franchise. The creative part was 1976, dude. Everything since then has been a dollar chase until Lucas could finally hit the big cash-in and retire.

Guardians of the Galaxy managed to be pretty creative despite being part of the Marvel juggernaut.

Creative stories and being part of an existing franchise are not mutually exclusive. If you want a truly new franchise this is needed, but it is certainly possible to come up with something new in the context of exisitng properties.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Adam Reynolds wrote: 2017-08-24 11:19amGuardians of the Galaxy managed to be pretty creative despite being part of the Marvel juggernaut.

Creative stories and being part of an existing franchise are not mutually exclusive. If you want a truly new franchise this is needed, but it is certainly possible to come up with something new in the context of exisitng properties.
I'd say that unlike literature, you have to break huge media ventures like movies into parts. I'm okay with acknowledging the creativity of, say, Ray Harryhausen, even if I would disagree that the idea of a Jason and the Argonauts movie is a novel concept, or that the writer/director's interpretation of the myth warrants significant recognition.

And I'll be frank, I don't think Guardians is a good example of something fresh, even though it was something good. Lucas showed the world something it hadn't seen before. Guardians stood on the shoulders of many predecessors in sci-fi filmmaking.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Guardians was something fresh relative to the MCU, which is what I meant. It was space opera within a superhero universe. Just as Jessica Jones is superhero noir.

Star Wars really should look to do something similar.
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

We know how this ends. Obi-Wan survives to protect Luke. He can't die. Far more interesting: Lando after Endor. We don't see him in TFA, so he could be dead. Or perhaps something on the actual Rogue One, Wedge Antilles. Someone who is expendable.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

Cykeisme wrote: 2017-08-23 04:25am I still think that avoiding exploring ancient history in Star Wars is a huge waste.

Even if they don't use the setting for the "Knights of the Old Republic" established in various video games and traditional roleplaying game material, there's film-level canonical statements in Episode I about the Jedi and Sith having clashed millennia before. Let's see some of that.

Conversely, if they do use the pre-existing KotOR material in a film, I believe that any slim chance it has of failing to be a huge hit (both critical and box office) would be due to poor execution of the filmmaking craft, rather than a problem with the backdrop "time period" setting.

It's pretty simple but solid setting, that was quite deliberately designed to include all the usual Star Wars stuff (giant spaceships, zippy little one-man fighter spaceships, lightsabers, the Force, blasters, etc).

And the odds of poor execution can be minimized by helming it with a good director and giving him the par-for-the-course budget, of course.
My current favorite would be something on the lines of Han Solo and the Lost Legacy. I've long been a fan of Xim the Despot and the Tionese, but they never get all that much development, and they drop in and out of the wider canon.

As a movie, it would be something on the lines of the Indiana Jones movies. You've got ancient ruins, a cult descended from Xim's followers, ancient war robots, and treasure that turns out to be worthless :lol:. Admittedly it's been done, but so has just about everything.