Why is the Hammerhead Cruiser shaped like that?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Apollonius
Youngling

Why is the Hammerhead Cruiser shaped like that?

Post by Apollonius »

Must be awkward trying to land such a ship on any surface. Wouldn't it be more practical if the "head" was rotated by 90°? Like a... well... hammerhead shark? Is there any conceivable in-universe explanation for that design, other than "it just looks cool"?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Why is the Hammerhead Cruiser shaped like that?

Post by Gandalf »

I think aesthetics are just a big part of the SW universe's relationship with technology creation.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Maybe ramming or even gently pushing bigger ships was an aspect of its original design intent. Like a tugboat, but in reverse so as not to block its engines.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

It actually would be worse in the other direction, as it would require a much larger landing gear. This way it is able to land on the head and engine:
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Top and bottom docking preferred, maybe?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Asteroid/debris field clearer?

With that ship, the head should force debris to the left and right of the ship, where broadside guns could deal with the debris safely.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

When the asteroids have to get close enough for your ship to physically push them into the field of fire of your guns your ship design sucks, not matter the orientation of the hammerhead.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

"Wide-coverage" sensors? Or distinct shield-generation/angling mechanisms, with the projectors in the hammerhead?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Because it looked cool to whoever designed it, and Wars tech is clearly capable of indulging the aesthetics without sacrificing capability when they feel like it?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

RogueIce wrote: 2017-07-26 02:13am Because it looked cool to whoever designed it, and Wars tech is clearly capable of indulging the aesthetics without sacrificing capability when they feel like it?
Or, said designer/company needed to make a "distinctive" design to stand out from it's competitors for the contract.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.