'Star Wars': Han Solo Film Loses Directors

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

ray245
Emperor's Hand

'Star Wars': Han Solo Film Loses Directors

Post by ray245 »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... rs-1015419
Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are no longer directing the Han Solo Star Wars spinoff.

"Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented filmmakers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it’s become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we’ve decided to part ways. A new director will be announced soon," Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, said Tuesday in a statement.

"Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project," a statement from Lord and Miller read. "We normally aren’t fans of the phrase 'creative differences' but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew."

Lord and Miller, helmers of The Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street and its sequel 22 Jump Street, signed on to direct the Star Wars stand-alone in July 2015. The film features Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo, while Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson and Donald Glover also star.

The pic has been shooting in London since February. Sources say there are several weeks left on the shoot (who will be helming those is currently under wraps), with reshoots scheduled for later this summer.

The release date of May 25, 2018, remains unchanged.

This isn't the first Star Wars film to face a director issue. On Rogue One, which was helmed by Gareth Edwards, Tony Gilroy was brought in to rewrite and help oversee extensive reshoots.

The issue of "creative differences" has been the cause of several director exits over the past couple years on studio tentpoles. Tim Miller left Fox's sequel Deadpool 2; Rick Famuyiwa left Warner Bros. and DC's The Flash; and Michelle MacLaren left Wonder Woman (which was then directed by Patty Jenkins, who had previously exited Thor 2).
With Josh Trank being fired and this, this is totally not a troubled project.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: 'Star Wars': Han Solo Film Loses Directors

Post by Crazedwraith »

Rogue One was well received despite the reshoots. Hopefully this will go the same way. Though it seems very late in the game to switch horses.

Never been sold on the film though.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I think this film is probably going to get a certain amount of backlash simply for having someone other than Harrison Ford playing Han Solo. It isn't fair, but that's how it is.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I think this film is probably going to get a certain amount of backlash simply for having someone other than Harrison Ford playing Han Solo. It isn't fair, but that's how it is.
I don't know, I'm pretty certain that most fans are aware enough that Harrison Ford is too old to even try to pass for a younger Han now (never mind that Ford is pretty firmly out of the Wars game... at least unless someone throws enough money at him again anyway). And if they tried to do the de-aging CGI face-replacing thing they did with Leia in Rogue One... over a -whole- movie... yeah, I don't know how well that would go over, given that CGI-Leia was kinda controversial.

At this point, I suspect that while they won't be -totally- thrilled that they replaced Ford, they'll probably accept it well enough provided the rest of the movie holds up. There'll always be complainers one way or another regardless.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

More like their will be a contingent who feels that they simply should never have made the film, not that they should have done it with Ford.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Han Solo is my favorite SW character, and I'm alright with making this movie, as long as the young actor can effectively channel Harrison Ford.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Eh, I don't want him to just do a Harrison Ford impression, necessarily. That could easily come off worse than if he did his own thing.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I heard they're courting Ron Howard and Joe Johnston for the gig now. I hope Johnston gets it.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

It's confirmed, Ron Howard is the new director: StarWars.com