Why did Obi Wan wait three years

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Why did Obi Wan wait three years

Post by Darth Yan »

Empire Strikes Back takes place 3 years after A new hope. Why would Obi Wan wait all that time to tell Obi Wan to meet Yoda? Seems unusual .
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Why did Obi Wan wait three years

Post by Lord Revan »

It's possible that Obi-Wan didn't wait but those 3 years were due to luke not really being strong enough to hear him expect in Battle of Yavin, in essense Obi-wan was constantly sending the "seek out Yoda" message to Luke but it wasn't until Hoth that Luke was able to hear it. Note that it's until close to the end of Luke's training with Yoda that he's able to communicate with Obi-Wan's spirit directly rather then just getting a Force vision version of a "pre-recorded" message.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Luke was never weak. He had a lot of potential in the force.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Maybe Obi-Wan had to spend some time gathering his strength until he was able to send the message.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Luke picked up the message when he was weak- maybe he had to lower his mental defenses.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Luke may have been physically weak in the sense that he was injured, but that may have been the first time he fully used the Force since the events of ANH, strengthening his connection. I am sure the EU contradicts this, but it is the only good explanation I can think of.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Darth Yan wrote:Luke was never weak. He had a lot of potential in the force.
I meant weak as in "not yet able to use most of that potential", in essense it could be that before that point Luke was not "trained" enough to pick up the message and as others have pointed out he was physically weak at that point so he might have been drawing from the Force to survive either intentionally or unintentionally.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Raw potential does mean accessibility. If you recall, Luke only received the message after having delved deeper into the Force in order to help himself escape the wampa. It's not that hard to make the connection that, in order to "hear" the message, Luke first had to make a stronger connection with the Force. It is also significant that he was perhaps not ready yet to begin further training.

And if potential was enough, then Anakin Skywalker would never have needed training from Obi-wan Kenobi in the first place and there'd be no younglings in the Jedi Order; people would just wake up and go, "Oh yeah, I've got that Force thing. Guess it's time to start doing Force stuff."
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

It's essentially like this, the Force potential is like the max bandwith the cables to your device, while the connection with the Force is like the bandwith of your network connection (be that the internet or some other network), the network connection cannot ever exceed the bandwith of the cables but can be much, much lower. Same idea with one's connection with the Force you can have great potential but unless you've trained to connect with the Force your actually connection will be weak.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Luke finally got good enough Ping for Obi-wan to connect.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Darth Yan wrote:Luke was never weak. He had a lot of potential in the force.
A lot of people have all sorts of potential, from intellectual, physical and all sorts of things. Potential needs to be nurtured through training. That's why gifted children still go to schools and gifted athletes still train every day. Potential strength must be turned into actual strength. There aren't a lot of people who are at the top of their field, and haven't practiced their way there. Luke wasn't there at Yavin. By Hoth he was.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin