Last Jedi first trailer.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Last Jedi first trailer.

Post by Anacronian »

Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Last Jedi first trailer.

Post by Galvatron »

Luke hasn't been this depressed since The Crystal Star.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Gotta admit that this trailer doesn't really get me all that exited.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Bring it the fuck on!! How the hell do I wait eight months and not go insane?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Shall we guess that these 2 images are related?
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I guess Luke finds the knowledge he was looking for. I was expecting more than eight books, but maybe they're some pretty important books.

Could he have acquired an original copy of the Journal of the Whills?
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Also seems like those speeder-like crafts are racing towards AT-AT's
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Not sure how I feel about the balance between Light and Dark bit. That sounds too much like the revisionism a lot of people have engaged in, taking the prior films' interpretation (that the Dark Side is a corruption to be opposed and defeated) and substituting a more morally relativistic or ambiguous interpretation where the Dark Side is seen as not inherently evil. It feels like trying to retcon the mythology of the franchise to fit certain peoples' philosophical preferences. Though given that we don't know the context of that line, I withhold final judgement.

On the other hand, looks like lots of Rey and Luke, which is nice.

And fleet battle! Yay!
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

In the fleet battle, you can see what looks like an A-wing.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Not sure how I feel about the balance between Light and Dark bit. That sounds too much like the revisionism a lot of people have engaged in, taking the prior films' interpretation (that the Dark Side is a corruption to be opposed and defeated) and substituting a more morally relativistic or ambiguous interpretation where the Dark Side is seen as not inherently evil. It feels like trying to retcon the mythology of the franchise to fit certain peoples' philosophical preferences. Though given that we don't know the context of that line, I withhold final judgement.

On the other hand, looks like lots of Rey and Luke, which is nice.

And fleet battle! Yay!
Doesn't Lucas pretty much hated the idea of grey Jedi?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I don't know, and frankly, I don't much care for what Lucas says behind the scenes one way or the other.

I wouldn't want the major underpinnings of the films' metaphysics to be retconned, however.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Yep, there are A-wings in the hangar too. Those capital ships look like next generation Nebulons.

I never had a problem with "grey Jedi" or George's intentions. I think the Force is just the Force and whether it's light or dark depends on how it's used.
Last edited by Galvatron on 2017-04-14 01:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, they definitely had the Nebulon B look.

I'd like to see something a bit heavier- we have yet to see a proper dreadnought vs. dreadnought action on the big screen. But considering that only three out of eight live action Star Wars films have had a proper fleet action in them, despite the freaking title being Star Wars, I'll take what I can get.

Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Ray could be referring to the literal "Balance to the force" that Anakin was prophecised(and believed) to have brought.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Nebulon C? :p
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Yeah, they definitely had the Nebulon B look.

I'd like to see something a bit heavier- we have yet to see a proper dreadnought vs. dreadnought action on the big screen. But considering that only three out of eight live action Star Wars films have had a proper fleet action in them, despite the freaking title being Star Wars, I'll take what I can get.
They may be the best that the Resistance could muster. They actually look even smaller than Nebulons to me.

Last edited by Galvatron on 2017-04-14 01:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Anacronian wrote:Ray could be referring to the literal "Balance to the force" that Anakin was prophecised(and believed) to have brought.
Perhaps.

Wasn't their a theory or rumour going around that Rey would turn out to be a reincarnation of Anakin or something?

Mind you, TFA already pretty well established her as Anakin's symbolic/spiritual successor. At least, that's how I took the scene when she pulled Anakin's sabre away from Kylo, to her. It was a sword in the stone type of thing, her demonstrating that she, not Kylo, was the worthy heir to Anakin Skywalker.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I think it's safe to say that anything we thought we knew about the Force is on the chopping block now that Luke has discovered the lost archives of the ancient Jedi.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ideally they would add to what we already know, not piss all over it.
Galvatron wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Yeah, they definitely had the Nebulon B look.

They may be the best that the Resistance could muster. They actually look even smaller than Nebulons to me.

Yeah, those look like corvettes, or very light frigates.

But considering that the Resistance didn't field anything heavier than a fighter (so far as was shown, anyway) in the last film, and that its sponsor the New Republic just got kicked in the proverbial nuts, maybe that is the best that they can manage.

On the other hand... I refuse to believe that that one strike knocked out all of the NR's military capabilities. They ought to still have some capital ships available, and they'd be utter imbeciles to hold them back now.

Although if the NR is politically fragile enough, the decapitation of its leadership and loss of much of its fleet might have pushed it into internal strife, so their fleet might be tied up at home suppressing revolts.

Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Maybe they are orbital defense platforms - I've been trying to see engines on them in the following shots but I can't see any.

Edit : Oh wait they do have engines - disregard.
Last edited by Anacronian on 2017-04-14 01:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Ideally they would add to what we already know, not piss all over it.
Why not? It's a Star Wars tradition. :P
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Anacronian wrote:Maybe they are orbital defense platforms - I've been trying to see engines on them in the following shots but I can't see any.

Edit : Oh wait they do have engines - disregard.
There seems to be three small engines in the corner section. Especially on the third and fourth from the front in the above image.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Interesting that some of the ships, which seem to be fighting side by side, are blue-painted while others are red.

Possibly some are NR ships and others are independent Resistance ships?

Come to think of it, weren't the Resistance fighters painted blue in TFA? While the Republic/Rebellion has traditionally used more of a red colour scheme?

Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Interesting that some of the ships, which seem to be fighting side by side, are blue-painted while others are red.

Possibly some are NR ships and others are independent Resistance ships?

Come to think of it, weren't the Resistance fighters painted blue in TFA? While the Republic/Rebellion has traditionally used more of a red colour scheme?
Well, Rian Johnson said that "after the destruction of the new republic government the galaxy has been plunged into chaos" - so there could be many factions involved with warfare.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That makes it sound like my guess was correct- the NR has collapsed into infighting after its leadership got decapitated. But I could see some of their forces choosing to go to the Resistance.