Everything Not Quite Right With - The End Scenes from Rogue One SPOILERS and yes its contains the Vader scene!

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Everything Not Quite Right With - The End Scenes from Rogue One SPOILERS and yes its contains the Vader scene!

Post by Galvatron »

In all fairness, Vader did telekinetically snatch Han's blaster out of his hand pretty easily while Han was shooting him.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Everything Not Quite Right With - The End Scenes from Rogue One SPOILERS and yes its contains the Vader scene!

Post by Crazedwraith »

Galvatron wrote:In all fairness, Vader did telekinetically snatch Han's blaster out of his hand pretty easily while Han was shooting him.
If you want to get really technical it was just after Han shot at him but yes, good point.

I think we just have to conclude Vader used his abilities in a sub-optimal way. He's only human after all.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Or he was too busy getting shot at by and fighting against multiple rebel soldiers to concentrate on snatching the data tape, assuming he even saw it at all. It's possible he was just chasing everyone who was running away to prevent anyone from escaping, period.
Crazedwraith wrote:If you want to get really technical it was just after Han shot at him but yes, good point.
Not to get sidetracked on such a trivial issue, but Han was still firing up until the split second that Vader snatched the blaster from his hand.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Galvatron wrote:Or he was too busy getting shot at by and fighting against multiple rebel soldiers to concentrate on snatching the data tape, assuming he even saw it at all. It's possible he was just chasing everyone who was running away to prevent anyone from escaping, period.
Yes, I agree. This is mostly what I meant by ' He's only human after all.' Just because we can see something he could do doesn't mean he realises/is capable of it at that moment.
Galvatron wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:If you want to get really technical it was just after Han shot at him but yes, good point.
Not to get sidetracked on such a trivial issue, but Han was still firing up until the split second that Vader snatched the blaster from his hand.
Huh, I'd forgotten that. Neat.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Anacronian wrote:Also in Episode III Anakin did use his lightsaber on Nute Gunray and the rest of the confederation leaders on Mustafar and I don't really see Vader as one that has mellowed since then.
Just a point from the video: ANH was immediately after Rogue One, and Vader did nothing of the sort until (and only) fighting Luke in ESB and RotJ. He didn't, for example, cut his way through the guards (again, like just a few hours ago in Rogue One) to corner the plans on the Tantive IV.

Yes, 20 years ago, Anakin newly fallen went to town on the leaders of the Separatists with his lightsabre, but in ANH/ESB/RotJ he didn't act that way. Rogue One is literally just before ANH, so which is (or should be) "more like" how Vader acts for that point in the timeline? (The editorial uses the term "mother canon" for the OT.)

Personally, I don't have issue with Vader being a war machine, but I get a 70% fan service feel on the scene in Rogue One. He gets the 30% because he doesn't think it through and have the SD cover escaping ships/pods (which actually is in character for Vader, since he also failed to give the same orders that would have prevented the droids from escaping with the plans after catching the Tantive IV over Tatooine.) Deja vu, much?

edit: spelling
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Galvatron wrote:In all fairness, Vader did telekinetically snatch Han's blaster out of his hand pretty easily while Han was shooting him.
Yes, that's another good example.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Khaat wrote:
Anacronian wrote:Also in Episode III Anakin did use his lightsaber on Nute Gunray and the rest of the confederation leaders on Mustafar and I don't really see Vader as one that has mellowed since then.
Just a point from the video: ANH was immediately after Rogue One, and Vader did nothing of the sort until (and only) fighting Luke in ESB and RotJ. He didn't, for example, cut his way through the guards (again, like just a few hours ago in Rogue One) to corner the plans on the Tantive IV.

Yes, 20 years ago, Anakin newly fallen went to town on the leaders of the Separatists with his lightsabre, but in ANH/ESB/RotJ he didn't act that way. Rogue One is literally just before ANH, so which is (or should be) "more like" how Vader acts for that point in the timeline? (The editorial uses the term "mother canon" for the OT.)

Personally, I don't have issue with Vader being a war machine, but I get a 70% fan service feel on the scene in Rogue One. He gets the 30% because he doesn't think it through and have the SD cover escaping ships/pods (which actually is in character for Vader, since he also failed to give the same orders that would have prevented the droids from escaping with the plans after catching the Tantive IV over Tatooine.) Deja vu, much?

edit: spelling
Its entirely plausible to me that Vader has a tendency to place an overemphasis on the Force, and think of every situation in terms of how to approach it using the Force first. Consider his disdain for "technological terrors" during the Death Star briefing in A New Hope.

Ironic considering that its technology keeping him alive, but that fact might only make him more resentful of having to depend on conventional technology to do his job.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

hellified wrote: have you guys seen HOW IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED?? if you want to take that to its logical conclusion then vader should have gotten the disk...

thruout this scene he's been force pulling, throwing and lifting dudes left and right and he's well within range of the guy with the disk. YET he doesn't use his force powers to snatch the disk or pull him away from the door.
Vader never had clear line of sight on the data disk.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
hellified
Redshirt

Post by hellified »

Solauren wrote:
hellified wrote: have you guys seen HOW IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED?? if you want to take that to its logical conclusion then vader should have gotten the disk...

thruout this scene he's been force pulling, throwing and lifting dudes left and right and he's well within range of the guy with the disk. YET he doesn't use his force powers to snatch the disk or pull him away from the door.
Vader never had clear line of sight on the data disk.

really? look at the scene again...we see a VADER POV shot, the light saber is pointed forward...he can see the guy at the door trying to hand something thru the crack. He's been force throwing people this whole time yet stops short of him.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

A better answer to that question is that he was fully in the thralls of the Dark Side, which made it hard to concentrate on that specific object instead of just killing everyone in his path. It would also be hard to concentrate on that at the same time as he was engaged in combat. Sith may be powerful, but they still have a hard time doing multiple things at the same time.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Or he might have been thinking about the possibility that there was a second disk with the plans on it. Capturing one disk wouldn't do anything about the second.

Capturing the ship the disk(s) are going to be transported on takes care of all of them.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

bilateralrope wrote:Or he might have been thinking about the possibility that there was a second disk with the plans on it. Capturing one disk wouldn't do anything about the second.

Capturing the ship the disk(s) are going to be transported on takes care of all of them.
To true!

And capturing the ship that you would logically assume is about to hyperjump to the rebels base, or possibly have a rebel leader on it, is even better.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

TBH I think that's contrived.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Adam Reynolds wrote:A better answer to that question is that he was fully in the thralls of the Dark Side, which made it hard to concentrate on that specific object instead of just killing everyone in his path. It would also be hard to concentrate on that at the same time as he was engaged in combat. Sith may be powerful, but they still have a hard time doing multiple things at the same time.
Thralls of the Dark Side? Is that a thing?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Gandalf wrote:
Adam Reynolds wrote:A better answer to that question is that he was fully in the thralls of the Dark Side, which made it hard to concentrate on that specific object instead of just killing everyone in his path. It would also be hard to concentrate on that at the same time as he was engaged in combat. Sith may be powerful, but they still have a hard time doing multiple things at the same time.
Thralls of the Dark Side? Is that a thing?
They juiced those younglings in ROTS and made holocrons out of the crystallized youngling-juice. Vader was juiced to the gills man.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
hellified
Redshirt

Post by hellified »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:TBH I think that's contrived.
why?
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

hellified wrote:
why?
The part where the posters say that Vader, in relentlessly pursuing and murdering everyone to get that disk... just didn't use TK to grab that disk because THERE MIGHT BE TWO DISKS!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Gandalf wrote:Thralls of the Dark Side? Is that a thing?
I suppose that is an odd way to describe it, but when Sith cut loose in combat, they lose control relative to Jedi, and often lack the same degree of guidance as a result.
hellified
Redshirt

Post by hellified »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
hellified wrote:
why?
The part where the posters say that Vader, in relentlessly pursuing and murdering everyone to get that disk... just didn't use TK to grab that disk because THERE MIGHT BE TWO DISKS!
lol...yeah.. i noticed that myself :lol:
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

hellified wrote:*image snip*

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Comedy is hard.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin