Favorite Star Wars protagonist?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Who is your favourite Star Wars protagonist?

Anakin Skywalker (PT, The Clone Wars, OT).
7%
Luke Skywalker (OT).
36%
Obi-wan Kenobi (Phantom Menace, The Clone Wars).
18%
Ashoka Tano (The Clone Wars).
5%
Ezra Bridger (Rebels).
No votes
Jyn Erso (Rogue One).
14%
Finn (The Force Awakens/ST).
2%
Rey (last name to be determined) (The Force Awakens/ST).
5%
Other.
14%

Total votes: 44

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Favorite Star Wars protagonist?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Since we've had a number of new high-profile Star Wars stories recently (the most new material, on film or television, of any era really), and a more diverse collection of protagonists, some of whom have been slightly controversial, it seems a good time to ask: Who is your favourite Star Wars protagonist, and why?

The poll includes only protagonists from the canon films and TV shows, though their is an option for "Other".

My reasoning for who is included in the poll is as follows:

Anakin is the protagonist for most of the Prequel Trilogy (The Phantom Menace has no single clear protagonist, but Obi-wan comes closest), and arguably the protagonist for the Prequel and Original Trilogies.

Luke is the obvious protagonist for the Original Trilogy.

Rey and Finn are basically co-protagonists for the Sequel Trilogy thus far, with Finn being the lead for the first half of The Force Awakens, and Rey for the second.

Jyn for Rogue One is obvious.

Ezra for "Rebels".

"The Clone Wars" has no clear single protagonist, focusing on different characters for different stories. A case can be made for Anakin, Obi-wan, and Ashoka being co-protagonists for the series as a whole.

Edit: Anyway, my vote goes to Luke, mostly because of his decision to redeem rather than kill Vader on the Death Star, which serves as the culmination of the Jedi Order's journey from a regressive, emotionally repressed organization to embracing love, accomplishing what the old Order could not and creating one of the most idealist and original endings, in my opinion, in film.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: Favorite Star Wars protagonist?

Post by Q99 »

Lesse, I'll mention some who'd fit 'other' from novels and comics-

Corran Horn (X-wing novels)

Zayne Carrick (KotoR comics)

Nomi Sunrider (Tales of the Jedi comics)

Cade Skywalker (Legacy Comics)

Kiera Holt (Knight Errant novel/comics)

Jacen Solo and Jaina Solo (Young Jedi Knights books, some later stuff)
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Obi-wan Kenobi.

When I think about it... Obi-wan is the only sane character in the whole SW universe. :lol:
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Saw Gerrera.

/sirens
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Saw Gerrera.

/sirens
Not a protagonist. Barely more than a spear carrier really.

---

Wedge would count for Starfighters of Adumar if nothing else.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The New Adventures of Bor Gullet.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

/sirens
Seconded!!! :lol:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Han Freak'n Solo man.

Obi Wan from TPH to ROTJ would be my second choice. Out of 7 films with the main story, he's been in 6. His appearance in The Clone Wars was fantastic as well. Truly the 'perfect' Jedi.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I always thought of Han Solo more as a supporting character, albeit a very, very good one.

But I guess he did get his own EU books back in the day, and he's going to get a spin-off film shortly, so I guess he counts. Cool.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I know I shit on The Force Snoozes but one thing I did enjoy was the protagonists. Rey might have been a bit of a Mary Sue (though which protagonist in Star Wars isn't?) but she was an interesting character. An orphan raised on a junk yard planet, learning engineering from pulling apart the wrecks littering Tatooine......I mean Jakku, and really struggling to survive. Her existence was in someways comparable to Anakins though in some ways worse, she might not have been a slave but atleast Anakin had his mother.

Though I liked Finn a bit more. Finn is a ex-Stormtrooper made into a sympathetic character, I mean who the fuck who ever have saw that coming? He's charmingly naive, raised to be nothing more then soldier so has no real concept of friends or family, so far removed from humanity that he didn't even have a real name but still had a conscience. Was willing to break away from the only life he knew and even fight against his former comrades because it was the right thing to do. He wasn't uber competent but still held his own mostly. Showed real courage in being willing his life to save his friends.

Honorable mention, Cade Skywalker from the Legacy comics. I went in thinking I was going to hate the character just on the character pics posted I think here with Cade, Cariah, and Deliah looking kinda doofy with Cade looking like he had stole his great granddads pants. He actually turned out to be a pretty deep character, a flawed and interesting character who had so much shit on his shoulders that it turned him into a junkie. The entire series was great, probably the only part of the EU along with KOTOR that I'd rank alongside the movies.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, I like Rey and Finn too. Rey's development is a bit rushed, but she's likeable, and I like it when their are female protagonists who are not sexually objectified or treated as a joe, or subjected to having their gender treated in a ham-fisted manner. This is the case with both Rey and Jyn- they're women who are treated like any other Star Wars protagonists.

And Finn has the most character development of any character in the film, plus a stormtrooper protagonist was a new one.

Plus, of course, both add to the diversity of the franchise. And both have decent actors.

I rather like TFA overall, but its problems are primarily in the script, and especially the plot. This is also the case with Abrams' Star Trek, and most modern Holywood SF, for that matter. If their's one glaring weak link, its usually the script, and if their's one glaring weak link in the script, its usually the plot.

Edit: Liked Kylo Ren too, for that matter. Some characters were a bit underdeveloped, but the only time TFA really dropped the ball badly on a character's development was Phasma, and then its mostly because she was advertised as a major character and a bad ass and ended up being a bit part.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I like Kylo Ren's modern relevance...
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

How so?

Me, I appreciate that he's a clever deconstruction of both the Sith and the fans' expectations, though I sort of get why that would annoy some people.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I always thought of Han Solo more as a supporting character, albeit a very, very good one.

But I guess he did get his own EU books back in the day, and he's going to get a spin-off film shortly, so I guess he counts. Cool.
I view the OT as an assemble cast with Han, Luke, and Leia having equal parts. Supporting roles are the droids and Lando.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

/sirens
Not "Other" for Dash Rendar?
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

For my rankings, in ascending order:

Anakin gets the lowest rating from me, as his fall seems just as stupid as it is tragic. Literally every other character could see that Palpatine was manipulating him. Though I liked the idea explored by the novel to ROTS, that Anakin's entire sense of morality was based around people close to him, and that he cared more about being the hero that he appeared to be than he did about doing the right thing. Clone Wars also made him more likable overall as well, but was let down by the fact that we already knew his fate.

Ezra is second worst, as he has most of the same likability problems of Anakin. While he has some nice moments, he goes from an annoying kid in the first season to skirting with the Dark Side in the third. Something about his character just grates on me, and I often find myself wishing more of his role were handled by Kanan, especially in the third season.

Jyn is something of a mixed bag. Felicity Jones is a fantastic actress, and does a great deal to make the character likable, but it is undercut by extremely inconsistent writing. In particular her dynamic with Cassian is problematic(though worse from his side). She goes from angry with him and the Alliance over the death of her father to throwing in with the Rebellion entirely within minutes and starting to fall in love with him. I still found myself liking her regardless, but it was somewhat annoying.

Luke does okay, as he is the classic hero of what is generally the best SW films. The downside is that there are a few points where he can be more annoying than likable.

Ahsoka is generally awesome, and underwent some truly phenomenal character growth throughout the Clone Wars series and into Rebels and her standalone novel. Her end was also generally fitting as well. The major downside with her is the overall tragic nature of her story, in which she never really has a chance to make a real difference.

Finn is nice in that he is fairly likable overall, but has the drawback that his lack of competence at points makes him less credible as a hero.

Obi-Wan is among the best characters of the series*, with a nice sense of sarcasm that makes him a great deal more likable. He also is one of the only Jedi that truly surpasses the sense of attachment that destroys almost every other Jedi, including Mace Windu and Yoda.

First place falls to Rey, as she has most of the best qualities of Luke but is somewhat more likable overall. It is somewhat problematic that no one ever really bails her out in the way that Luke needed to be saved by Obi-Wan or Wedge, but it doesn't really make her less likable as much as it is a part of the story problems.

* Though I would actually argue that Padme is closer to the central protagonist than Obi-Wan, at least in TPM. She is relegated to the love interest role in the second and especially third films, but is probably closest to the central hero in TPM, serving as the character who is involved in the most and who largely drives the plot. Though she would rank rather low on my list, as Portman clearly didn't care all that much about Star Wars(though oddly Marvel is not beneath her for some reason), and it shows.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Hmm, I can see an argument for Padme as Episode One's protagonist, though Obi-wan appears first in the story and fills the "action hero" role by being the one to ultimately take down Maul. Its also the story of him going from apprentice to full Jedi with his own student, to an extent.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Adam Reynolds wrote: Finn is nice in that he is fairly likable overall, but has the drawback that his lack of competence at points makes him less credible as a hero.
Where does Finn fall on the competence area?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Adam Reynolds wrote: Finn is nice in that he is fairly likable overall, but has the drawback that his lack of competence at points makes him less credible as a hero.
He's quite competent. He acts a little goofy at times, but he's good at what he's trained at (combat, particularly marksmanship).

I wonder how much of it is the obnoxious "LoL, he was in sanitation, so he's just a janitor, so he must be worthless" meme.

Edit: Also, Yay, best Jedi Luke Skywalker takes the lead! :D

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

The Romulan Republic wrote: He's quite competent. He acts a little goofy at times, but he's good at what he's trained at (combat, particularly marksmanship).

I wonder how much of it is the obnoxious "LoL, he was in sanitation, so he's just a janitor, so he must be worthless" meme.

Edit: Also, Yay, best Jedi Luke Skywalker takes the lead! :D
To a large extent his problem is that he is incompetent when compared to Rey, who is simply good at everything. Notably she rescues him several times and he never returns the favor properly, as the only one to ever rescue Rey is herself, unless you count Chewbacca at the end, when he picks her and Finn up with the Falcon.

Though Finn certainly is an excellent marksman, rather ironically. When we see him finally grab a blaster at Maz's castle, he doesn't miss a single shot. A large part of his problem is that he spends most of the film without one.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

You could argue that he indirectly rescued Rey, by coming up with the plan to board Starkiller Base and convincing the Resistance to go for it.

Its also likely that he contributed to her being able to defeat Kylo Ren in a duel, as that fight is pretty obviously, in part, a case of a wounded and exhausted Ren being slowly worn down.

Edit: That fight also shows that he got some pretty good hand to hand combat training somewhere.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

You know, it also occurs to me that Episode VIII has a great opportunity to show what Finn can do.

Rey starts the film with Luke, and may spend much of the film training with him, like Luke in Episode V. This will likely be intercut with scenes of what's going in with the war between the Resistance and the First Order, where Finn, as the other main character, can play action hero lead against the First Order's troops without being overshadowed by all the Force users.

Although Poe could do that as well, he and Finn fill different niches- Poe is primarily a star fighter pilot and commander, while Finn is an infantryman.

Maybe have Finn, like Luke between IV and V, get a promotion in recognition of his heroics, and command his own squad of special forces commandoes or something.

Also, since rumour has it that they'll be giving Phasma a bigger role, they could set her up as Finn's personal enemy- that's already somewhat implied in what little screen time she got in Force Awakens.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Adam Reynolds wrote: To a large extent his problem is that he is incompetent when compared to Rey, who is simply good at everything. Notably she rescues him several times and he never returns the favor properly, as the only one to ever rescue Rey is herself, unless you count Chewbacca at the end, when he picks her and Finn up with the Falcon.

Though Finn certainly is an excellent marksman, rather ironically. When we see him finally grab a blaster at Maz's castle, he doesn't miss a single shot. A large part of his problem is that he spends most of the film without one.
I think buying Rey time by facing off a Kyloid showed his mega huge balls and he fared really well against the Kyloids. I think Finn not-succeeding =/= incompetent.

I agree that the writing made Rey too successful. In Star Wars, everyone has slapstick moments and Indiana Jones-esque make-shit-up-on-the-fly aw-hell screw ups.

I blame the inclusion of the Starkiller Base which was a pointless ANH nostalgia-bait throwback when the entire narrative was doing wonderfully well hitting the old strings while doing things with a new direction.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Frankly, even lasting a minute against a mediocre Force user is pretty impressive for an ex-stormtrooper with (as far as has thus far been confirmed) no Force powers.

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Mostly a script issue where they don't know where to go with the character. At first he is a Stormtrooper, assaulting a point destruction raid on a village who then decides to obtain and defect. Never saw him do the 'stormtrooper' bit and run in and kill things. Breaking out Poe was a matter of just knowing the routines of the ship and not any particular spec ops training. Perhaps some credit on surviving Jakar but whatever. Hand to hand is somewhat iffy against Rey. Fight against gangsters and monsters was iffy and just lucky. Fight against Stormtroopers was pretty lack luster even when he had a lightsaber, was stale mated by a anti lightsaber stormtrooper. Big plan on the Starkiller base was predicated more on his knowledge of procedure and protocol other than some high speed ninjia skills. Fight against Ren? Ok. Not to bad.

All and all, I like the character but nothing about his 'stormtrooper-ness', rather for everything other than his prior vocation. As a Stormtrooper, he kind of sucks.