(SD.net Database) Aftermath Empire's End

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

(SD.net Database) Aftermath Empire's End

Post by DarthPooky »

So just finished Empires end and lets just jump into it.(obviously spoilers if you haven't read it yet.)Oh and Jar jar makes an appearance YEAH :D believe it or not I like Jar jar so I thought it was nice to see what he was doing after all these years.
But the Starhawks were designed with one thing in mind: upgrade so long did the rebels endure an aging, piecemeal fleet that when the time came to finally design something new to serve the nascent Republic, they went all in. Every internal system, every external design feature, every weapon all of it was upgraded beyond the watermark set by the Mon Cala ships prior and beyond the known capabilities of the Empires extant ships.
One of the features that saw the largest boost in ability?
The tractor beam.
The role of the tractor beam is simple: to grab an object in space, usually a spacecraft, in order to usher it safely into a docking bay or to seize the vessel and pull it closer. The tractor beams on a Star Destroyer were notoriously vicious with the strength to draw a Corellian corvette into its bay or to stop a Nebulon frigate from making the escape to lightspeed.
The tractor beam on the Starhawk is ten times that. Magnite crystals amplify both the range and the strength of the beam. A Starhawk could capture and move a ship many times its own size.
Agate dials up the tractor beam points it at the Ravager-She fires.
If I'm going down to the ground she thinks you're coming with me.
interesting and explanation of some of the capability's the New Republic's new Starhawk class ships.

And because I'm lazy hears a video from Star Wars explained that brings out a lot of points from the book.
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Re: (SD.net Database) Aftermath Empire's End

Post by DarthPooky »

Oh an also what did you guys think of this last instalment in this Trilogy.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Huh. I'm a little surprised that Jar Jar made it through the Imperial years. I'd have put good odds on either him being killed by the Emperor as a lackey that had outlived his usefulness, or being killed by a rebel extremist for having helped put Palpatine in to begin with.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Someone needs to have the failed assassination attempts by Saw Gurrea's cell to kill Jar Jar. I can just see it:

Bor Gullet torturing the Gungan royal guard assigned to Jar Jar to find his location. Weeteef Cyubee(the midget) throwing a sticky bomb onto the duck-horse riding Death Trooper with a flamethrower. Jar Jar himself tripping and avoiding the sniper shot. It just writes itself.

Sorry I am stealing your job Shroom, but I just couldn't resist this one. Also I am extremely sleep deprived as a result of recent work piling up.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

You know, I'd like to see Jar Jar on Rebels. An older, more sober Jar Jar, who's had to live with the guilt of watching the rise of the Empire and knowing that he was the naive fool who made it possible.

I think that could go a long way toward salvaging the character.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Adam Reynolds wrote:Someone needs to have the failed assassination attempts by Saw Gurrea's cell to kill Jar Jar. I can just see it:

Bor Gullet torturing the Gungan royal guard assigned to Jar Jar to find his location. Weeteef Cyubee(the midget) throwing a sticky bomb onto the duck-horse riding Death Trooper with a flamethrower. Jar Jar himself tripping and avoiding the sniper shot. It just writes itself.

Sorry I am stealing your job Shroom, but I just couldn't resist this one. Also I am extremely sleep deprived as a result of recent work piling up.
I really contemplated either proposing such a thing (man your proposal is like Charlie Chaplin-levels of slapstick... maybe Jar Jar actually got a level in badass and can fend off assassins when he gets a ladder and does Gungan kung fu or teras kasi while going "I DON'T WANT TROUBLE").

My other idea was some FULL TIBANNA JACKET sort of thing where in Jar Jar's bedroom he's asleep and then Boss Nass and all the other Gungans of Gunganopolis come in and stuff soap or those glowy-gungan-spheres in socks and start bludgeoning the sleeping Jar Jar (who is restrained via blanket). Of course if the entire Gungan population does this, Jar Jar will end up being reduced to a smear.
The Romulan Republic wrote:You know, I'd like to see Jar Jar on Rebels. An older, more sober Jar Jar, who's had to live with the guilt of watching the rise of the Empire and knowing that he was the naive fool who made it possible.

I think that could go a long way toward salvaging the character.
Justa matter of time meesa supposes...

When yousa sees what a joke life is, being Jar Jar Binsa only thing that makesa senses!

*gets thrown out of a window by Moff Panaka*
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

I haven't bought this book as I haven't made it through Life Debt yet and I'm not sure I'll buy this one. Chuck Wendig is an atrociously bad and unimaginative writer and from what I've read about Jar Jar's fate, it was the easiest thing to do.

I read somewhere that there is a reference to the size of the New Republic Defense Force, that it was "three times" the size of the Alliance forces at the time of the Battle of Endor. but that it was unclear if it pertained to the entire Defense Force or only the fleet at Jakku. Could that be cleared up?
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Just finished it. I thought it tied things up nicely without slamming the door shut on any other stories about the New Republic dealing with various other minor Imperial remnants.