Musings on Palpatine's brilliance...

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Musings on Palpatine's brilliance...

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

IIRC in the novelization it was part of Palp's plan to make himself truly vulnerable and thus kill-able in order to turn Anakin... IMO if he wasn't playing around, I think Mace Windu could still have a shot at beating him. But then again, it's really poetic if Palpatine realized that he might not be able to beat Windu and thus allowed himself to be defeated and nearly killed in order to turn Anakin and thus truly defeat not only Windu but also the entire Jedi Order. :D

Ironic that a Sith who placed himself on the verge of getting his ass killed did more than all the uber-sun exploding, soul-sucking, universe-punching x-ray heatvisioning, superspeeding, adamantium-clawed, planet-sized shoulder-padded, grimdark skull-banner-spike-wearing, Chaos-worshipping, horcrux-laying, ring-wielding, Reed Richards-rivaling, magnetism-wielding, apocalyptic pyramid-making, anti-life-seeking, infinity gauntlet-wielding, flying-rodent-fixated crime-fighting, skull-shirt vigilantisming, blind devil-daring, shitty suicide squadding forehead-tattooing, flame-kindling soul-darking, clown-faced Spawn-sending Sith Lords and sinister misters in all of the Star Wars galaxy's history. (Pls. check if my rundown of all the Dark Side users in Star Wars is thorough pls. :P ;) )

Palpatine's true mastery of eeeeevvviiilll or his brilliance or whatever is in realizing the weakness of not only Anakin but also of the Jedi, the love that they had, which made them do all sorts of things to protect those they treasured (Padme, the people of the galaxy, etc.). That is worth an entire galaxy's or an entire EU's worth of "uuurggghhh I'm so badasss peace is a llliieeee there is only passsssion! I care not for vulnerabilities look at me slitting my wrists with my lightsabers and covering my Star Destroyer with tattoos and wearing lightsaber-piercings! CRAWLING IN MY SKIN THESE WOUNDS WILL NEVER HEEAAALLLL" adolescent Sith crap they teach acolytes in those Sith holocrons that are made out of crystallized orphan blood, or prophecies divined from rolling dice made from orphan bones or scattering guts made out of orphan organs.

In a way that makes Palpatine wiser than other Dark Loyds of fiction too, like Vlodemort and his Death Dealers.

I guess Palpatine's realization of the weakness of love is because he himself knew love ones... that is why he sired Trioculus.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: Musings on Palpatine's brilliance...

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

TLDR:

I surmise that Mace's formidability and the possibility of defeat in a straight out no-holds barred championship match for the galactic heavyweight championship of the world is precisely why Palpatine opted to put himself in a vulnerable position to exploit Anakin's emotions...
Whether Palpatine's getting disarmed by the window was a shoot or a work is debated... but I think Palpatine deliberately jobbed as part of his exploitative, manipulative ways...

In other words:

"IT WAS ME ANAKIN! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG! EVEN MY IMMEDIATE FAMILY BOUGHT IT!"

Hmmm... in retrospect... considering that Palpatine orchestrated the entire Clone Wars... the comparison to pro-wrestling is even more apt! The galaxy and the Jedi were totally marks who didn't know it was all just staged!

Then tragically star-performer and roid-raging Anakin went crazy and killed his wife and kids. SOUND FAMILIAR?!

EDIT:

I further surmise that Palpatine had a young background in pro-wrestling, or professional Teras Kasi as they call it in the galaxy. His melted face was actually the rest of a botched chair shot or table hit, or even a botched Huttball impact, and the whole lightning shit with Mace Windu just melted off the makeup or holo-prosthetics hiding his injuries.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

That hinges a lot on Palpatine not losing his head like Fett did. Hell, one call to his older brother Obi Wan for advice, Anakin realizes that Padme will be safe, you can't trust a Sith, etc. and Palpatine's manipulations go out the window.

Though, all of that requires Anakin being patient, level headed, and/or rational for five minutes.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

In other words... foolproof plan.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Of course Palpatine's plan was deliberate! He had foreseen it, meaning he knew Anakin would turn.

That is the true power of the Dark Side.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Hmmm... I think the trick is not in merely foreseeing but taking steps to either avoid self-fulfilling prophecies/foreseen futures you want to escape and/or avoid self...defeating(?) prophecies/foreseen futures you want to actualize? And how to land on top when it comes to vaguely worded prophecies/foresights that, like contracts with Satan, might actually have fine-prints that'll screw you over. Like the meaning of "bring balance to the Force."
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Commander Veers
Redshirt

Post by Commander Veers »

I agree, Palpatine was pure evil genius in the truest sense of the term possible. McDiarmid even gave a great performance, which helps carry the prequels quite a bit. His mastery of the force further augmented his uniquely scheming and underhanded ability to manipulate the entire Galaxy to his will. If you ask me, George Lucas did a great job with the whole Palpatine story arc. I've never really liked any other sith, except Vader. There's no substance or intrigue to them. Just like Kylo Ren, they're silly cartoon-style villains with too much brawn and not enough brain.