Ubiquitous droid designs?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Ubiquitous droid designs?

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

So in our RP we've somehow gotten a re-purposed IG-110 droid for an NPC party member... anyway since this pseudo-Magna Guard IG model would attract unwanted attention, I was thinking of putting a decoy plastoid casing over its chassis so that it won't be easily recognized... at least upon visual inspection (other kinds of sensors might not work...).

I was wondering, what would be a good humanoid-shaped ubiquitous droid design to use as a pattern for said camouflage? So far I've got the BLX labor droid... disguise the head and chassis with a plastoid casing based on that... and possibly use clothing/robes to conceal the rest of the body. Or a Medical Droid...
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Ubiquitous droid designs?

Post by Crazedwraith »

Is the obvious 3PO too obvious?

And why both making it a pastoid disguise. Strip down your existing droid and build it back into another droids casing.

The old Eu had C-3PX after all.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The badass armor would be lost... I was mulling over just hiding the droid inside one of those walking-boxes Power Droid so he can go WWWWRRRRYYYYY and explode out of the box-thing when asskicking was needed.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:The badass armor would be lost... I was mulling over just hiding the droid inside one of those walking-boxes Power Droid so he can go WWWWRRRRYYYYY and explode out of the box-thing when asskicking was needed.
Clearly it does need to get inside the box. It's its destiny to be there; in the box. I bet when it puts on its disguise it will get a great feeling of inner peace. It will feel safe. Like it was meant to be. It will have found the secret to true happiness.

IG-110. Try to query your database for the basics of CQC.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Shouldn't camo be logically based off what the rest of the team looks like/is doing? Bulk is certainly the way to go in terms of ease of fit, but it may attract attention if the droid is already large.

Also consider that a uniform may be relevant, call it advanced 3D fabric camo wrap, for further disguise, and for tactical reasons. Such as if your droid was 'camo' as a brightly colored doctor robot, it might want to put on a damn camo uniform if suddenly a battle breaks out ect... Its not super Wars like, but seriously stuff like this will never go away.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I meant in civilian, not-battlefield doing jobs kinda affairs where walking around with a Magna-Guard variant - something very much like the bodyguards and crack murderbots of a Seperatist war criminal and asthmatic-robot commander - is ill advised and thus undercover disguises are needed.

Of course if we're gonna go to some jungle base and shoot some foo's up, we're gonna deck the droid out in camo... thanks for reminding me of this too!

OTOH I wonder what commonly available "mobile life support" wearables are available... rugged enough for guerilla leaders and durable enough for active rehabilitated horrible-burn-victims/survivors... ;)
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Probably its the same as real life, lots of choice, but only some of it good, and some of it good but only within a short service life. Like the discount brand has a 90% chance you don't have a heart attack in the 10 year warranty period, against 99.9% for the good models, while the bottom of the line model might be broken out of the box. One city planet alone should provide a crazy amount of consumer market, though not earth x population level increases, because the more complex the item the fewer companies will have the scale to compete at all.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Crazedwraith wrote:The old Eu had C-3PX after all.
New EU has 0-0-0. He and BT-1 pretty much fit the bill since they appear to be nothing more than a typical protocol-droid-and-astromech duo. Plus, they just smack of Shroominess.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Probably its the same as real life, lots of choice, but only some of it good, and some of it good but only within a short service life. Like the discount brand has a 90% chance you don't have a heart attack in the 10 year warranty period, against 99.9% for the good models, while the bottom of the line model might be broken out of the box. One city planet alone should provide a crazy amount of consumer market, though not earth x population level increases, because the more complex the item the fewer companies will have the scale to compete at all.
I mean to say... what if Vader-esque/Gerrera-like life support rigs are actually ubiquitous, Vader's badasss walking-iron-lung might actually be standard fare in some intergalactic rehabilitation clinic and I might be able to stuff our droid-friendo in a hollowed up version of one. :D

I promise I'll cover the IG's metallic shoulder pads with modified foam stuff, or seat cushions, to make it look like Dash Rendar's shoulder pads! :mrgreen:
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I promise I'll cover the IG's metallic shoulder pads with modified foam stuff, or seat cushions, to make it look like Dash Rendar's shoulder pads! :mrgreen:
That's all anyone can really hope for. :)
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Galvatron wrote: New EU has 0-0-0. He and BT-1 pretty much fit the bill since they appear to be nothing more than a typical protocol-droid-and-astromech duo. Plus, they just smack of Shroominess.
I just love the description from the wiki page.
0-0-0 was a protocol droid designed to specialize in etiquette, customs, translation and torture.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I mean to say... what if Vader-esque/Gerrera-like life support rigs are actually ubiquitous, Vader's badasss walking-iron-lung might actually be standard fare in some intergalactic rehabilitation clinic and I might be able to stuff our droid-friendo in a hollowed up version of one. :D
The "Death Star 'droid" had a mask something like Vader's:
Edit: better image
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Adam Reynolds wrote:
Galvatron wrote: New EU has 0-0-0. He and BT-1 pretty much fit the bill since they appear to be nothing more than a typical protocol-droid-and-astromech duo. Plus, they just smack of Shroominess.
I just love the description from the wiki page.
0-0-0 was a protocol droid designed to specialize in etiquette, customs, translation and torture.