Disney SW-EU, the old EU with Mickey Ears.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: Disney SW-EU, the old EU with Mickey Ears.

Post by K. A. Pital »

You can't "scrap Star Wars entirely" and start over. This would kill the franchise instantly. Even Disney are smart enough to realize this.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

In 10-15 years, when Lucas and the original trilogy cast are all dead, they could probably reboot Star Wars completely (or at least wipe out everything that comes before and after it chronologically and start again). I think Disney will eventually reboot the Prequel Trilogy in that time period as well.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I think the Rogue One vehicle designs were excellent and complaints about the TIE Striker amount to foolish human shittery that require stickbeating to redress. :P
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I actually rather like the U-wing, especially with it's s-foils open.

Too bad for Shroom they didn't use a YT-2400 instead, though.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

It just seemed rather inconsistent when the S Foils swung to me.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Inconsistent with what?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Galvatron wrote:Inconsistent with what?
The film seemed inconsistent with itself? Sometimes the wings swung out perpendicular to the ship when it was in atmosphere, some times it didn't.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Guardsman Bass wrote:In 10-15 years, when Lucas and the original trilogy cast are all dead, they could probably reboot Star Wars completely (or at least wipe out everything that comes before and after it chronologically and start again). I think Disney will eventually reboot the Prequel Trilogy in that time period as well.
I'm inclined to think that the notion of the PT being rebooted while the OT is left alone is a pipe dream of Prequel bashers, not something that will ever be likely to happen. The PT, like it or not, is pretty firmly ensconced in Star Wars canon, and I don't see them doing a highly expensive partial reboot of the film canon just to appeal to an increasingly old and small group of hard core OT fans.

Now, a full-on reboot will likely happen, given enough time, but probably not for a good few years yet. Not while the current run of films is turning a good profit, and not for some time after, perhaps. If I had to guess, I'd say ten to twenty years, at the least.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Okay, I can see your point. FWIW, the Wookieepedia says this about that:
U-wings were manufactured by Incom Corporation. Their two wing-like strike foils, or S-foils,[2] were retractable and could be positioned forward-facing or backward-facing depending on the situation.[4] The movement of the S-foils was controlled by the S-foil articulation servomotor assembly. The backward facing, or flight, configuration was used in combat situations as it increased the coverage envelope of the ship's deflector shields and helped radiate excess heat from the engine's core. The increased wingspan however, was often turned into an obstacle by rough atmospheric conditions resulting in the flight configuration primarily being reserved for high altitude and interstellar operations.[2]
Also, Imperial racism is making a comeback in the new EU. I just read the following in Aftermath: Life Debt:
The prime operator within all Imperial ranks was the human being. “Aliens” were by and large unwelcome within its labyrinthine order because aliens were seen as different. They were serfs and slaves or, at best, obstacles. They needed to be tamed, removed, or ignored.

At least, so spoke the propaganda.

Sinjir felt the tug of that prejudice himself from time to time, for it was so programmed into them that even near-humans were to receive a measure of distrust. Palpatine and his propaganda machine worked to drive that nail of bigotry deeper by demonstrating how the old Jedi thugs and the scumfroth rebels consisted of many more nonhumans than humans. You could trust a human, the Empire said; aliens would always betray you.

Of course, over time Sinjir learned the foolishness of that, because as it turned out human beings were fairly horrible. Full of treachery! Just brimming with the stuff. He came to believe that the Empire’s corruption was precisely because it was xenophobic. It afforded no one any other voice, and so man and machine ruled the Empire together while the rest of the galaxy—despite being predominantly nonhuman in origin—suffered, powerless while under the twisting heel of the Imperial boot.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: I'm inclined to think that the notion of the PT being rebooted while the OT is left alone is a pipe dream of Prequel bashers, not something that will ever be likely to happen. The PT, like it or not, is pretty firmly ensconced in Star Wars canon, and I don't see them doing a highly expensive partial reboot of the film canon just to appeal to an increasingly old and small group of hard core OT fans.

Now, a full-on reboot will likely happen, given enough time, but probably not for a good few years yet. Not while the current run of films is turning a good profit, and not for some time after, perhaps. If I had to guess, I'd say ten to twenty years, at the least.
A full Reboot isn't likely to happen til about 6~10 years after the last current-continuity movie, where people have gotten over the disappointment of (whatever went wrong) and are inclined to see more Star Wars. We're not likely to get a last-movie-in-this-continuity for a good many years, for that matter! Right now the hype is huge and two of the most box office successful ones in the franchise just came out, so I think maybe 8-10 years before we have to worry about it going to 'sleep'.

And yea, rebooting just the prequels is flat out. Aside from the movies themselves, you have one of the two big cartoons in the era. Many people are more familiar with Anakin and younger Obi-Wan than they are with Luke and Han.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Galvatron wrote:I actually rather like the U-wing, especially with it's s-foils open.

http://i.imgur.com/wYXrnCj.png

Too bad for Shroom they didn't use a YT-2400 instead, though.
That is sooo pretty.

Man, to be fair, the Outrider design isn't so bad. The pseudo-catamaran thing going on between the cockpit-fuselage-tube and the disc-cargo-hull thing is nifty IMO.

I don't mind the inconsistent use of S-foils... sometimes there are conditions where the spread-out-wings for aerodynamic purposes like gliding isn't necessary or needed, pure repulsor-power is more useful, whereas in other times using the wings is more handy... AND the wings-for-atmospheric-craft thing works with the aesthetics and functional presumptions we've got for LAATs, X-Wings, Headhunters, Lambdas, etc.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

K. A. Pital wrote:To be fair, they did a cleanup and canonized Thrawn.

Mediocre writers had been the bane of almost every franchise, and WH40K and anything you name will suffer from crappily written, inherently contradictory as well as character-inconsistent material.

Then again, the Disney era started with a film about a crybaby Vader wannabe, otherwise known as "TFA". It can only get better.
Since TFA was a regurgitation of not only ANH, but also Under Siege 2 (Rey, Finn and the super-duper extra-strength Death Star in particular), I'm thinking a rehash of other Steven Seagal classics will also get a new coat of Star Wars paint. So it's not only possible that the future movies and spin-offs can get worse, but more than likely, they will.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Force Awakens was good enough. The cast were likable and after how divisive the prequels were I understand playing it safe). I'm looking forwards to last jedi.

The EU was a mixed bag. Some things were good (Asaaj Ventress, Thrawn, Kotor) others had potential but got mangled (Tales of the Jedi, the Vong War, and yes Hapes (ditch the matriarchal stuff and play up the game of thrones aspect of it) and some were awful (Jedi Prince.) It all needed to go so the good elements could be reused properly. Hell I'll pay for a reboot of Kotor
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Part of what made KOTOR so great was the creative freedom in the old EU (which also led to shitty things, but it gave the good people a chance to shine).

Under Iger's iron grip, I don't feel this is happening any time soon.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Darth Yan wrote:Hapes (ditch the matriarchal stuff and play up the game of thrones aspect of it)
That makes me wonder, what will they do if they decide to make a Star Wars tv show?

Its not out of the question for them to do so. Already things like Clone Wars and Rebel Scum show SW in tv form can work. The other big Disney franchise, the Marvel movie universe, has its own tv shows with mixed results. They might want to try to do Star Wars tv to expand the universe in that manner like Agents of Shit, Agent Carter (gone but not forgotten) and the various Netflix shows.

But the question is what would they do? A series political drama like Game of Thrones but with less boobs and floppy weiners but maybe the same amount of body parts being lopped off? A lighter action adventure series? A crime drama like Law and Order but with Jedi (In the Republic justice system, the various sapient lifeforms are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: The Jedi, who investigate crime, and the Jedi, who chop off the limbs of offenders. These are their stories.). Some very light comedy? A war story like Band of Brothers (I'd love to see some live action Clone Wars with a bigger budget, something a bit like the battle scenes in Rogue One, also Clones that are actually there)? A series about X-Wing fighter jocks like Baa Baa Black Sheep? How about a melodrama about life behind the lines like MASH?

Seems like any of those could work in the Star Wars universe easily.

I assume it will be several years before they attempt a SW tv show if they do. It was several years after the MCU began that they had any tv shows but with that it was because they had to flesh out the universe more. The same is not true with SW with already 8 movies (wrote 7 there for a minute) and two tv shows to fill out the universe. They could make a show tomorrow because they have so much backstory and material to work with.

I'm almost surprised they aren't making a young Han Solo series like Young Indiana Jones instead of just a movie, though its entirely possible they could do so if they movie does well.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

No, please not young Han Solo, no ...

Assalti Frontali
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

K. A. Pital wrote:No, please not young Han Solo, no ...
Moreover, Harrison Ford wasn't all that old when he played Han Solo for the first time in ANH so I wonder just how long they think they can get away with passing off Alden Ehrenreich as "young" Han. Even if this movie is good, I sure as hell hope it's a one-off.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, if Rogue One is anything to go by, the films outside of the main trilogies may be intended to be stand-alones.

Of course, that could also be specific to Rogue One, given its subject matter.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

If the young Han movie is as successful as Rogue One, Disney will be tempted to milk it.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Rogue One II: How They All Actually Survived. :D

Which is pretty much how the EU has always done business.

Palpatine? Not dead.

Maul? Not dead.

Thrawn? Wasn't he cloned?

Boba Fett? Not dead.

At least they resisted bringing Vader back.

Though, funny thing, it seems to be only the villains that are immune to dying. Well, I guess Ashoka's a borderline case.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

He meant they'd milk Young Han, not Rogue One.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, I know that. I was just making a joke about the franchise's tendencies in this direction, given the comment about Rogue One's success.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Galvatron wrote:If the young Han movie is as successful as Rogue One, Disney will be tempted to milk it.
Well yeah. Disney paid billions for the franchise, and it's not like they're going to pass up opportunities for sweet coin in the name of some sort of sentimentality or artistic integrity.

Personally, I want a Lando spinoff.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

What, Asoka is alive after fighting Vader? Don't tell me such awful things! I haven't seen this yet... WHY?!

Assalti Frontali
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Darth Yan wrote: The EU was a mixed bag. Some things were good (Asaaj Ventress, Thrawn, Kotor) others had potential but got mangled (Tales of the Jedi, the Vong War, and yes Hapes (ditch the matriarchal stuff and play up the game of thrones aspect of it) and some were awful (Jedi Prince.) It all needed to go so the good elements could be reused properly. Hell I'll pay for a reboot of Kotor
Good elements like the Mofference room.

Dark greetings!