Disney SW-EU, the old EU with Mickey Ears.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Disney SW-EU, the old EU with Mickey Ears.

Post by Galvatron »

Q99 wrote:Good elements like the Mofference room.

Dark greetings!
Silly me. I thought you were kidding and then I Googled it.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mofference_room

:shock:
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

K. A. Pital wrote:What, Asoka is alive after fighting Vader? Don't tell me such awful things! I haven't seen this yet... WHY?!
She's hardly the first person to survive duelling Vader, even not counting his son.

Now, if she'd beaten him, I might have had a problem with it, but just surviving... no. Though not formally a Jedi, she is essentially equivalent to one in training and experience, and an excellent duelist.

It does pass up an opportunity to neatly resolve the question of her absence from the OT, but I maintain that its not necessary. Its a big galaxy, and a lot can happen over time. And her existence doesn't even contradict statements about the Jedi being gone or Luke being the last Jedi, because at the end of the day, she is not a Jedi. Not officially, and not by her own self-identification.

Although to my knowledge, her survival is thus far fairly ambiguous/implied, in a "we never saw the body" kind of way. I have no idea weather she'll ever appear again.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
K. A. Pital wrote:What, Asoka is alive after fighting Vader? Don't tell me such awful things! I haven't seen this yet... WHY?!
She's hardly the first person to survive duelling Vader, even not counting his son.

Now, if she'd beaten him, I might have had a problem with it, but just surviving... no. Though not formally a Jedi, she is essentially equivalent to one in training and experience, and an excellent duelist.

It does pass up an opportunity to neatly resolve the question of her absence from the OT, but I maintain that its not necessary. Its a big galaxy, and a lot can happen over time. And her existence doesn't even contradict statements about the Jedi being gone or Luke being the last Jedi, because at the end of the day, she is not a Jedi. Not officially, and not by her own self-identification.

Although to my knowledge, her survival is thus far fairly ambiguous/implied, in a "we never saw the body" kind of way. I have no idea weather she'll ever appear again.

She appears to be walking just fine at 2:51 . So unless she keeled over and died in the cave, she is still alive.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

FaxModem1 wrote:She appears to be walking just fine at 2:51 . So unless she keeled over and died in the cave, she is still alive.
Filoni said that scene is very much open to interpretation. She could be alive, it could be a 'spirit' or it could be something else.

I mean, probably she's physically alive, I'm going to guess. But mentally and emotionally? That's...quite possibly another matter. At least for the immediate future.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Basically, I'd guess the writers were trying to have it both ways (which is often a sign of undisciplined, self-indulgent writing, though it worked out okay here). They wanted to have their touching death scene without, perhaps, having a well-liked character brutally murdered on-screen, and they wanted to tie up a loose end while still retaining the option to bring Ashoka back later if desired.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Makes sense.

Dave Filoni seems to be having a ball with "dead" characters, especially Darth Maul. To be honest, I don't think Maul has ever been more interesting than he is now, but I hope we eventually get to see him the way he looked in Old Wounds (which seems to be the inspiration for his current story arc anyway).

I wouldn't be surprised if they bring back Mace Windu, but that could be so huge that they might be saving it for the saga movies.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I doubt Windu will come back, short of a franchise reboot type of situation. Sure, its another "never saw the body" situation, technically, and it would be actually less implausible for him to survive his apparent death than it was for Maul, but his death is kind of a big moment for the franchise, as it marks Anakin's transition to Vader and the beginning of the rise of the Empire and Order 66, and they're less likely to do it in the films than on TV. The Han Solo film seems like an odd place to do it, and their are no other films planned, to my knowledge, between the trilogies. And by the post-OT/ST era, well, Mace would be pretty damn old. Plus it would likely be contingent on Samuel L. Jackson being available and willing to reprise the role (on TV you could more easily change actors, since Rebels is animated).

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Plus it would likely be contingent on Samuel L. Jackson being available and willing to reprise the role (on TV you could more easily change actors, since Rebels is animated).
Are you kidding? Samuel L. Jackson can't wait to do it and has stated as much multiple times. :)

Star Wars: Samuel L. Jackson thinks Mace Windu is still alive
We then asked Jackson about his theory/wishful thinking that Mace was still alive when he stopped by Entertainment Weekly Radio (SiriusXM, channel 105) on Wednesday morning to chat with us on EW Morning Live and here’s what he had to say. “Of course he is! Jedi can fall from amazing distances. And there’s a long history of one-handed Jedi. So why not?”

So what then has Mace been up to since falling out of Palpatine’s tower — laying low like Obi-Wan did on Tatooine? “Exactly,” says Jackson.

Has the actor shared his views with the creative forces behind the Star Wars franchise? “Only George [Lucas],” says Jackson. “But George doesn’t have anything to do with it anymore.” And what was Lucas’ reaction? “George is like, ‘I’m okay with that. You can be alive.”
However, he hates the theory that Mace is Snoke.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, that makes it a little more likely, though it would still beg the question of where the hell Mace was for all those years while the galaxy went to hell.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, that makes it a little more likely, though it would still beg the question of where the hell Mace was for all those years while the galaxy went to hell.
I'm sure a competent writer can invent something. Jackson himself thinks Mace went into hiding like Obi-Wan.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

But why not come out of hiding when the Rebellion was in full swing?

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Anything I suggest would be pure fanfic. Hell, we still don't know what happened to Quinlan Vos.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Does Quinlan Vos even exist any more, officially?

Edit: I should concede, in fairness, that pretty much every argument that I have made in favour of the feasibility of Ashoka, Kanan, etc. surviving can also be made for Mace Windu surviving, provided he no longer identifies or acts as a Jedi. Though it would take a great change in personality for Windu, of all people, to turn his back on the Jedi Order.

And of course, its best to be wary of doing resurrection too often, or death, and resurrection, lose some of their significance.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Does Quinlan Vos even exist any more, officially?
He was in TCW, so yes. Hell, he was even mentioned in ROTS.
Last edited by Galvatron on 2017-02-24 09:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Oh yeah.

A lot of Prequel-era EU probably got saved, at least partly, by TCW.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Not to mention the new EU novel, Dark Disciple.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I just finished Life Debt. I don't know why, but I really liked it. On to Empire's End...
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The Romulan Republic wrote:And her existence doesn't even contradict statements about the Jedi being gone or Luke being the last Jedi, because at the end of the day, she is not a Jedi. Not officially, and not by her own self-identification.
Someone who doesn't identify as a Jedi probably still has things that they could teach Luke. So it's not a good reason for Luke never seeking them out.

The better explanation for why Luke won't seek Asoka out is that everybody thinks she died when fighting Vader.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

For all we know, she could have taught Luke some things. I'm not saying that's likely, but its possible, in, say, the gap between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, wherein Luke apparently gained the knowledge of telekinesis.