Names and fates of all the SSDs in the new EU (spoilers)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Names and fates of all the SSDs in the new EU (spoilers)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

That's a fair point, although an SSD has the advantage of having a huge amount of plunder in one place, and being mobile in case you need to relocate the merchandise.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:
That and it would take a very large pirate force to fully man (much less maintain/supply) an SSD.
What's the difference between pirate lord (a pirate would definitely be a lord when s/he gets an SSD) and a warlord ala Zinj? AND... if I was the Imperial Remnant or First Order I'd Green Man the fuck out of vital Empire assets and make them disappear.
Pirates don't tend to have more but a few ships, and don't tend to actually rule planets. Zsinj had a decent chunk of the Empire under his control, a fleet, and an organized military. Frankly, his claim towards being a legitimate successor of the Empire was pretty solid.

Admittedly many of the 'warlords' we see aren't very far from pirates...
As far as numbers of ships I think you are pigeon holed into the age of sail variety. There was a time during the Roman Republic where much if not most of the Mediterranean was controlled by fleets of pirates with ships numbering in the thousands. They were so numerous and powerful they resisted the best the Romans and other states could throw at them for some time. There kit was just as good as anything their opponents could muster.
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

Even during the age of sail there were large pirate-groups operative. Think of Henry Morgan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Mor ... .931668.29 (although he was more of a privateer) or Edward Teach https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbear ... .27s_fleet, who at his height commandeered a fleet between five and nine ships.
Than you have the pirates from the Barbary-coast https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_pirates, the Vikings, who terrorized Europe and the Baltic and the Victual Brothers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victual_Brothers, who brought trade in the Norht and Baltic sea nearly to a stop until they were eliminated.
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Hurm... what about those Berber states, historically speaking?
They never ever ran something which was the equivalent of a ship of the Line.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Then the First Order could be Crimean Green Man/Ukrainian Separatist-ing them. Mysteriously Vanished Pirate SSD but otherwise not-so-many pirate incursions (rationalized as: they have a giant ship now, they can sell all that neutronium easily and get space money instead of waste their time hijacking all the Dash Rendars of the galaxy... it's the motherload so now the pirates might want to retire!) might make the New Republic focus on other threats, like the First Order, or even just... the disappearance allows them to think that "hey at least the Imperial Remnants aren't refurbishing it for another war!" when in actuality the pirates are just First Order assets.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Thanas wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Hurm... what about those Berber states, historically speaking?
They never ever ran something which was the equivalent of a ship of the Line.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't most of those big pirate fleets ran a large number of fairly small and fast ships rather using a ship of the line or equilevant?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

It should be pointed out that Tagge's SSD was apparently in service before the Executor, yet all we ever see of it is her bridge interior. So either the Annihilator is an older, different class of SSD or the Executor isn't the first of her class after all.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Galvatron wrote:It should be pointed out that Tagge's SSD was apparently in service before the Executor, yet all we ever see of it is her bridge interior. So either the Annihilator is an older, different class of SSD or the Executor isn't the first of her class after all.
I could be a case of the Executor being the first built but the the Annihilator being the first put in service. perhaps the emperor had reserved the Executor for "special" duty.

I could see the Executor always having meant to be Vader's personal flagship but Palpatine wanted Vader to earn the right to use that ship rather then it being given to Vader, it would be in-line with the Sith philosophy. That could easily explain why the Executor entered service after the Annihilator. Palpatine wanted to test and punish Vader after the loss of the first Death Star but he still was upset enough to give the Executor to someone else.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Executor was still under construction when the Annihilator was already in service. This is from Darth Vader #20:

Triple-Zero even referred to it as "Tagge's new flagship" on the previous page of the same issue.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Kuat orbit, I'm guessing?

That's a pretty awesome view of the ship yards. Like to see it on screen.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Kuat orbit, I'm guessing?
Yep.
The Romulan Republic wrote:That's a pretty awesome view of the ship yards. Like to see it on screen.
The entire series is full of artwork like that. I recommend it.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Executor is to take the place of Annihilator and be the "greatest ship in the fleet" apparently.

But according to Wookieepedia's cites, the Complete Locations book lists Annihilator as an Executor-class Star Dreadnought.

So either new EU fucked up - CL not being aware that Annihilator came before Executor - or the Imperial Navy does ship class names much differently than we do.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I could that first ship planned is the namesake of the class but due to delays in productions the Annihilator was first Executor-class SSD to actually enter service since the class namesake (aka the Executor) wasn't completed yet. That way it would sort of fit traditional way of naming ships (since generally first ship planned is the first ship to enter service) while explaining why there's an executor class SSD in service before the Executor herself has entered service (or even finished being built in this case).

since "Tagge's new flagship" does seem to imply that the Annihilator is a fairly recent addition to the fleet.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Lord Revan wrote:since "Tagge's new flagship" does seem to imply that the Annihilator is a fairly recent addition to the fleet.
"Tagge's new flagship" was in reference to the Executor, not the Annihilator.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Galvatron wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:since "Tagge's new flagship" does seem to imply that the Annihilator is a fairly recent addition to the fleet.
"Tagge's new flagship" was in reference to the Executor, not the Annihilator.
ah thanks for the correction, the comics aren't avaible here so all my info is second hand.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

TPB volumes of the series are now available on Amazon. Of all the new Marvel Star Wars comics, I believe this one to be the best so far. It recently ended at issue #25 so it's a finite arc without much (if any) filler.
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:
That and it would take a very large pirate force to fully man (much less maintain/supply) an SSD.
What's the difference between pirate lord (a pirate would definitely be a lord when s/he gets an SSD) and a warlord ala Zinj? AND... if I was the Imperial Remnant or First Order I'd Green Man the fuck out of vital Empire assets and make them disappear.
Pirates don't tend to have more but a few ships, and don't tend to actually rule planets. Zsinj had a decent chunk of the Empire under his control, a fleet, and an organized military. Frankly, his claim towards being a legitimate successor of the Empire was pretty solid.

Admittedly many of the 'warlords' we see aren't very far from pirates...
I think his is implying that the reports of that Star Dreadnought's 'capture' are...."exaggerated"

After all Sloane is doubting the reports of the Eclipse and is indicating that NR reports corroborate the other loses.

The Annihilator falling to pirates seems a stretch, after all the reports Sloane has fail on the details.

Could be a matter of, the Eclipse and the Annihilator needed to "disappear", both falling to "pirates" would arouse too much suspicion...so one goes down to "enemy action" attempting to bank on the general confusion to get confirmation lost in the chaos of battle reports, the other is lost to "pirates"...an unfortunate spot of bad luck that would avoid a concerted search.

...Both the Empire and the Republic have their hands full at the moment, both sides would assess that a "pirate" controlled SSD is of marginal concern...more than likely understaffed, undersupplied, and undertrained. If reports start circulating about unidentified SSD sightings...both sides would assume 'That's The Annihilator' and just keep tabs unless it eventually poses a direct threat to either faction

...If anything, The Eclipse has freer movement out of the deal, and this faction has a delightful preset trap.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Annihilator is accounted for in a later chapter.