What do Imperials do for fun on Star Destroyers?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Re: What do Imperials do for fun on Star Destroyers?

Post by Patroklos »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Didn't even think of that. Space travel will likely do interesting things to the future diversity of human biology.
Like ST artificial gravity is trivial in SW. The smallest vessels have it and rarely is generating it even mentioned. Its probably trivial to modify the gravity for whole cities on low or high gravity worlds to suit majority human populations.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

If they managed to put recreational facilities on Soviet Russia submarines they can put them in stardestroyers. Really, the problem will be to ensure that personal don't get bored of the same stuff over and over.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I think it was never a question of "is there room" but rather "would the Galactic Empire care enough to put those in".
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Considering how close we are to it on Earth, I'm assuming full immersion VR is a common thing in Star Wars.

I would probably be trivial for the Empire to have full immersion set ups for up to half their crew to use as once, maybe more.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I bet they play a lot of what passes for Call of Duty. Hell, the loyalty officers probably reward them for high scores and achievements.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Lord Revan wrote:I think it was never a question of "is there room" but rather "would the Galactic Empire care enough to put those in".
Or how cheap (in effort and management) it is to implement them. Plus, how much personal effects are stormtroopers allowed to carry with them. A personal computer can provide lot of entertainment options (especially if they can access entertainment databases) but is a security risk, so would they be allowed? Would there be approved personal computers (or better, terminals for entertainment supercomputers that can safely serve lots of people at the same time).

The idea of an entertainment supercomputer on-board would be better for security and management: it would prevent unwanted data flow as everything is available from a single source, administrators can oversee everything and what everyone is doing (only officers get privacy), would be relatively cheap (I don't imagine that the computing power needed is high) and could run seperate from other systems so they would not interfere with ship-bound systems.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Patroklos wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Didn't even think of that. Space travel will likely do interesting things to the future diversity of human biology.
Like ST artificial gravity is trivial in SW. The smallest vessels have it and rarely is generating it even mentioned. Its probably trivial to modify the gravity for whole cities on low or high gravity worlds to suit majority human populations.
Do we have any evidence of entire planets having their gravity altered in canon?

Closest is the Death Stars, and they were still much smaller than a planet and also implied to be cutting-edge technology in the films (as well as a substantial investment that an authoritarian government at war might be willing to spend on its military, but not necessarily on an infrastructure project.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It's Legends canon, but several centuries prior to ANH, the Alderaanians built Hosk Station into a large moon of Kalaarba, which apparently made it habitable. That may well have involved large-scaled artificial gravity - even if Hosk was the size of Earth's moon (and much bigger than the DS) it's still onyl about 0.15g, not exactly ideal for long-term habitation.

EDIT: Turns out Hosk Station is mentioned in Rebels so the name at least is canon, no details though.

EDIT 2: This is what the wookiepedia/Legends section has to say:
Hosk Station was an Esseles-class space station built by Alderaan Royal Engineers for the Galactic Republic. It was used as a docking and transfer point for many starships. It was, in many ways, a typical space station with a population of 5 million sentients. Artificial gravity and atmosphere generators provided a comfortable climate for Humans, while different sections of the station had different gravities and atmospheres to accommodate other sentient species.
Emphasis mine. Large-scale AG systems on existing satellites is clearly possible.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Galvatron wrote:
Commander Veers wrote:Would there actually be female personnel in the Imperial Navy? If so, you have to construct different facilities for them - toilets, barracks, etc. Why bother with that when you can just restrict entry to males only - just like they've done with most navies for most of history? Personally, I don't buy the whole 'female stormtrooper' and 'female officer' narrative which has been introduced over the years. Every single Imperial we saw in the OT was male.
Maybe the Empire simply ignores gender and employs unisex facilities like Starship Troopers or Battlestar Galactica did. It wouldn't be unprecedented.
Maybe they cloned Denise Richards and Dina Meyer too.

In all seriousness though, I always assumed that either the warships themselves, or shuttles from those warships, would be in rotation for the crew's R&R: Either flying crew out for R&R or flying in entertainment (Sy Snootles as Bob Hope, clone "comfort women", etc).
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I imagine the Empire wastes little space on actual R&R facilities, although I imagine they allow their rank and file "recreational" access to training simulators and PT facilities for obvious reasons. The ISB might even incentivize their use by offering privileges for winning organized competitions, etc. For example, first prize might earn you the right to use the AC unit in your armor to be more comfortable.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I do remember some bit in the old EU where troops weren't allowed to use the temp controls in their suits while on duty. Its conceivable that if I remember that correctly its done to incentivize troops into performing better so they aren't sweating buckets in their armor. Probably mostly all creature comforts are used for privileges for well performing (or well connected troops) while troops that don't do so hot or don't have anyone watching their back higher in the pecking order stay hot or cold and don't get much in the way of entertainment.

I always had this mental image of the Empire's military as this backbiting political affair that rewards people based on loyality and background rather then skill. Like where the best equipped troops and those with the best postings are just the best connected people, core worlders, the children of wealthy people and high ranked military, and anyone who can suck up hard enough to get friends in high places. Could even be part of their xenophobia and racism, anyone who isn't some well off core world human is probably giving the worst posting, no comforts, and equipment that sucks. There are probably non-humans by the bunch as part of the Empire but even though we couldn't tell either way considering the faceless armor that renders race, species, or gender irrelevant I doubt you'd find some Chiss or Zabrak on the Death Star or some other nice posting anymore then you'd find some dirt farmer from the ass end of nowhere like Luke.

As an aside, it seems like First Order Stormtrooper armor is lacking in some places compared to original Stormie armor (assuming nu-canon hasn't said differently). The helmets apparently only filter smoke and the armor doesn't seem to have any sort of cooling system. I wonder if its because Finn was only given shit equipment or that the First Order didn't feel sealing the armor against airborne hazards and environmental extremes was worth it.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Joun_Lord wrote:I do remember some bit in the old EU where troops weren't allowed to use the temp controls in their suits while on duty.
It's in the new EU too...
“I served on a ship like this a very long time ago. Part of my apprenticeship.” Again, there was bitterness instead of arrogance in her tone. Then she added idly, “You know that stormtrooper armor has environmental controls? Internal cooling options?”

On the floor ahead, three dead stormtroopers were splayed across the grating.

Chalis kept talking. “You’d think it would be luxurious, but cooling drains power. Use in noncritical situations is a punishable offense. So many cadets try it anyway, thinking they won’t be caught …”

Namir nudged a body with the toe of his boot, then stepped over it. He relaxed his shoulders and bit back a smile. “The Empire’s famed discipline cracks in the heat?”

“That’s the difference between our forces,” Chalis said. “Imperial troops all make the same mistakes, and they never make them more than once. I can only assume Alliance troops are more creative and less agreeable.”
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Patroklos wrote:
But what about the centuries or millennia *before* artificial gravtech was created? Imagine entire populations of space-adapted low-grav-ers who'd find low grav to be totally natural and object to gravwellers' biased artificial gravity levels! GRAVITIC DISCRIMINATION! Check your gravwell privilege!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Patroklos wrote:
But what about the centuries or millennia *before* artificial gravtech was created? Imagine entire populations of space-adapted low-grav-ers who'd find low grav to be totally natural and object to gravwellers' biased artificial gravity levels! GRAVITIC DISCRIMINATION! Check your gravwell privilege!
Anyone who is curious about this idea should check out The Expanse, as it heavily explores the concept.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Adam Reynolds wrote: Anyone who is curious about this idea should check out The Expanse, as it heavily explores the concept.
That was an inspiration. The Expanse is such a great series with all the hallmarks of high quality hard sci fi, especially having Sooth Effricken be the spoken language of space.

I wish Neill Blomkamp directed a Star Wars movie. There'd be fookin Gand and fookin Aqualish and Sharlto Copley can play Mandalore with his power armor, samurai sword and anti-orbital bazooka. Telling Moff Jodie Foster (with her Kuati accent, ruling her Kuati space station) to put pressure on the wound. Yolandi Visser can play Sabine Wren. NINJA can play Kanan. While IG droids throw ninja stars at people and tell fuckmothers not to steal daddy's landspeeders! Krennic's workmate will be this Hugh Jackman who wears khaki shorts instead of capes, creating a mega killdroid.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I haven't seen The Expanse.

Since artificial gravity seems to be so easily manipulated in Star Wars (e.g. the gunnery well of the Millennium Falcon), I wonder if a Star Destroyer's individual crew quarters can have variable gravity settings that are as mundane to them as a light dimmer or an adjustable bed is to us. Imagine being able to get a good night's sleep in 0.5g (or other).

May this post trigger Shroom's imagination about shoulderpads.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Patroklos wrote:
Which is all great for less magitek setting but as far as I know there is no point in the SW timeline including the Old Republic stuff where gravity was ever in short supply.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I'm talking about pre-Old Republic. Like during the ancientest of times when the proto-humans sent cryoships across the cosmos, including some in a jungle world that prompted them to grow to great heights and develop a coating of fur and become inarticulate, speaking in growls and arm-rippings!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!